Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah that all makes sense, thanks for the input. It would be quite gracious of you TM-ers to let me hang out with you a little bit! Haha

The MS is only 36 credits over two years, so maybe I can just pack on some extra classes from the TM department (at $1000 a pop...!) to supplement what's there. I'll be interested to see what the research responsibilities are like for MS folks; maybe I won't even have time for anything extra.

Anyway, thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish they were only $1000 bucks a pop :-( I do want to take one of their classes this fall, though. Hopefully I can get into it.

Also, I heard back from the Epi instructor and I won't be able to get a waiver so it looks like I'll be taking that this summer.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

How long did it take for you guys to get your email and/or Gibson info after you sent your postcard back?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for you guys to get your email and/or Gibson info after you sent your postcard back?

I think it was less than a week... because I remember making a comment to a friend about how speedy it all was...

I submitted my financial aid addendum on March 26, and it still says "received review pending." Anyone know if that's normal?

I was told they expect to have award out April 15th so it should be soon.

I got an email Thursday that said they would start having packages for people w/in 10 business days of their receiving everything. Did you receive any emails confirming receipt of your FAFSA or addendum (I haven't)?

I got an email Thursday that said they would start having packages for people w/in 10 business days of their receiving everything. Did you receive any emails confirming receipt of your FAFSA or addendum (I haven't)?

I didn't receive an email, but the information shows up on Gibson. I was just concerned the info on the addendum on there would have to go from "pending review" to whatever before they even started my award stuff.

Are any of you having trouble logging into the Tulane email? Mine keeps coming up with an error message.

Nope, its working fine for me. Are you using the wavemail or webmail? Mine only works if I use the wavemail link.

Okay, yeah, I had to use the Wavemail. Thanks!

Hi all,

Having a tough time deciding between a couple of schools. I didn't start to get serious about Tulane recently, but have some questions about financial aid and funding.

Tulane is the most expensive of the schools I'm considering, so I was hoping to find some kind of on-campus assistantship or job to decrease the cost of my tuition. From my impression, it doesn't seem like there are too many opportunities available for this kind of work. If anybody attended admitted students day I would really appreciate some insight on the financial aid and funding process.

Also just wondering anyone's 3 reasons why they chose Tulane over another school.

Have it pretty much narrowed down to Tulane and UT-Houston for Global Community Health/Community Health Practice. Hoping I can make a decision soon!

Any opinion or advice is appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Biostats typically has a lot of jobs (building databases and that sort of thing). Community health also has jobs, usually, since the majority of what they work on is field based and project planning which requires a lot of people to go out and interview, conduct surveys, etc. That's the info I got from the open house.

I just signed up on their student employment website yesterday and looking through real quickly there were ALOT of listings.

Oh, and 3 reasons I chose Tulane:

1. Can start sooner and finish sooner (accelerate the coursework part of my program) and then be free to move wherever I want or need next summer for my practicum. Plus, fewer required courses compared to the other schools I applied to means more room for electives to tailor my degree to my interests and objectives.

2. It's relatively close to where I am now so not too difficult of a move and easier on my relationship (although I would probably go to Emory if not for that).

3. The per credit system actually means I can get more money toward school from the government (I'm military) so overall it works out cheaper for me. I'm a Texas resident but I didn't apply to any TX schools because, well, I don't like Texas!

Which student employment website? I'm looking around the website and can't seem to find it.

I emailed the guy that runs Deming on Sunday, and he still hasn't emailed me back... ugh. (And a mass email was previously sent out inviting everyone to consider Deming and let them know if they had any questions...)

Here's my three reasons...

1. Exact program I wanted. Parasitology/Trop Med. Everyone in that department seemed really kind and accessible. I'm also interested in attending Tulane for medical school. I would like to do academic medicine some day and do neglected tropical disease research - Tulane was a no-brainer for that.

2. Better than my alternative, which was UAMS (I'm from Arkansas). It wasn't bad, but they didn't have the focus on global issues like Tulane. I also heard later that a lot of their classes were online, and I would rather be taught face to face by a professor.

3. I like New Orleans - really wanted to stay in the south. I wanted to go out of state for undergrad initially, but decided not to due to cost. For me, UAMS is 45 minutes away from home... and my parents were trying to suggest I move back in with them. I'm just not the type to do that. I want to be off on my own and have a bit of adventure.

Yeah that all makes sense, thanks for the input. It would be quite gracious of you TM-ers to let me hang out with you a little bit! Haha

The MS is only 36 credits over two years, so maybe I can just pack on some extra classes from the TM department (at $1000 a pop...!) to supplement what's there. I'll be interested to see what the research responsibilities are like for MS folks; maybe I won't even have time for anything extra.

Anyway, thanks again!

Something I thought I would mention, since I just finished my fall registration - a lot of the "cooler" TM courses are only open to medical / MPHTM students so you may find that not as many of the TM classes you wanted are even open to you.

Last edited:
Something I thought I would mention, since I just finished my fall registration - a lot of the "cooler" TM courses are only open to medical / MPHTM students so you may find that not as many of the TM classes you wanted are even open to you.

Ha, yeah I noticed that a few of the ones I wanted to take are for medical people. Did you find any classes that appear to be open to everyone but actually aren't? The main ones I was looking at (because they appear open to everyone) are immunology, emerging pathogens, tropical virology, and preventive tropical medicine.

Everything you listed looks open to everyone, going by the course descriptions and the lack of restrictions on the course schedule listings. I am registered for Microbial Diseases of the Tropics (hemorrhagic fevers? woohoo!) and hoping to fit Emerging Pathogens into my schedule in the spring if its offered. Diagnostic Methods in Micro and Disease Control in Developing Countries look interesting as well, but aren't open to me :( I'm also considering Molecular Methods for PH, since I'd like more experience with PCR and such,and Medical Entomology.

If I get accepted to Tulane for medical school, I was told I could switch programs, go concurrent, and take those courses next year. That was honestly another big selling point for me for Tulane.

Everything you listed looks open to everyone, going by the course descriptions and the lack of restrictions on the course schedule listings. I am registered for Microbial Diseases of the Tropics (hemorrhagic fevers? woohoo!) and hoping to fit Emerging Pathogens into my schedule in the spring if its offered. Diagnostic Methods in Micro and Disease Control in Developing Countries look interesting as well, but aren't open to me :( I'm also considering Molecular Methods for PH, since I'd like more experience with PCR and such,and Medical Entomology.

The TM core requires one upper level TM class with three choices - I think Diagnostic Methods is the option for medical students only. I'll probably do Molecular Methods. Also, I'm in Microbial Diseases of the Tropics!! :D I'm registered for 17 hours in the fall... that's supposed to be normal actually....

On another note, I have no clue what I want to take as my TM electives or what I want my focus to be because I kind of want to take everything.... and I don't think that's going to work.

I know what you mean (about the electives). I'll be taking 15 credits in the summer and 18 in the fall, and I'm planning on 18 in the spring. I'm really hoping they offer the courses that I want because it looks like they haven't been offered for the past two spring semesters. I guess that's a downside to doing a degree in a year, you're essentially stuck with whatever happens to be offered.

When are you going to apply to medical school? Have you taken the MCAT yet?

Do any of you know if Tulane gets a decent number of international students? I really like having a cross-cultural mix in my classes.

I know what you mean (about the electives). I'll be taking 15 credits in the summer and 18 in the fall, and I'm planning on 18 in the spring. I'm really hoping they offer the courses that I want because it looks like they haven't been offered for the past two spring semesters. I guess that's a downside to doing a degree in a year, you're essentially stuck with whatever happens to be offered.

When are you going to apply to medical school? Have you taken the MCAT yet?

Hopefully this fall. I'm planning to try to take the MCAT this summer if I can fit in some time to study for it.

Do any of you know if Tulane gets a decent number of international students? I really like having a cross-cultural mix in my classes.

http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/DataReport2010.pdf

Says 22% for accepted students... 17% of students for new enrollments.

Yeah... I wish it said something about how many are masters level. I would think most of them are PhD or joint degree students.

Does New England count as international? :)

Anyway, I'm interested to meet/chat with other Tulane Fall 2012 students. Is there a FB group or something? I've been accepted to the Global Environmental Health Sciences program and would like to see if there will be other "fish out of the water" with me in the incoming class.

Anyone planning to live in Deming Pavilion for their first year? I think I might, but wanted to get other input. Still waiting on my financial aid package as well, which I do believe will be just subsidized vs unsubsidized Stafford and Perkins Loans.

I hear the big thing with the local trouble-makers in New Orleans is asking, "Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes!" and then demanding money along with the infamous pick-pocketers? Sounds different coming from a quiet life in New England. :scared:

Last edited:
I'm a new GEHS student as well, and I was stationed in NE (RI & MA) for 6 years.

Tell them "I got them on my feet" and walk away. I've never encountered any pick pocketing.

Scroll back in the thread for the Facebook link or try searching for Tulane sphtm

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

FYI, my financial aid decision was posted on Gibson when I checked today!

:( Nothing posted yet for me. My cost of attendance is calculated very low though, so I don't think they've reviewed my addendum yet (I am taking 15+ credits per semester)

:( Nothing posted yet for me. My cost of attendance is calculated very low though, so I don't think they've reviewed my addendum yet (I am taking 15+ credits per semester)
Crap. I put 16 on the addendum and am registered for 17. I wasn't sure if it needed to be exact...

Also, did you call and ask about the summer addendum a while back, yeah? I'm trying to finish filling it out so I can fax it in... I just get this vibe from reading the form that you may just not get any money, and you'll just be SOL.

So I checked out the student employment website and there's not much going right now. Do any of you know how to go about snagging a TA position?

HSU-
I sent the summer addendum right after I registered last week. Why do you think you won't get anything?
You should have stafford money left from the current school year and grad plus that you can use.

HSU-
I sent the summer addendum right after I registered last week. Why do you think you won't get anything?
You should have stafford money left from the current school year and grad plus that you can use.

I guess it's just the way I read the addendum. It didn't seem to be targeted towards students who were starting early... more towards students who had already started and who were planning to attend in the summer. But I mean, they wouldn't allow me to start in the summer if I couldn't so I'm probably fine. My advisor said today that there's three or four MSPH in Trop Med students that are starting in the summer. Anyway... I'm going to call them tomorrow because I had a few questions. Like what to put for summer address for instance...

And if I'm on scholarship, but took Stafford out to the cost of attendance, which was the most I could take out... I wonder if that makes me completely maxed out in general. :confused:

You borrowed the max undergrad, not the max for graduates. Plus you can still get the grad plus possibly. Since they have summer admissions, I'm sure they deal with new students seeking aid for summer quite frequently.

I just put my current address for the summer address and i'll update it once I find a place.

You borrowed the max undergrad, not the max for graduates. Plus you can still get the grad plus possibly. Since they have summer admissions, I'm sure they deal with new students seeking aid for summer quite frequently.

I just put my current address for the summer address and i'll update it once I find a place.

So it will be taken out from this year? Not from my Stafford from Fall 2012 onward? If so, that's a huge relief.

Also where on earth do I find the cost for summer tuition and fees?

Last edited:
:smack:

I suppose I should do my homework better.... Thanks.

Hey I'll be starting in the Tropical Medicine department in June. I'd love to find a roommate. Unfortunately I'm currently living/working in Nicaragua so all the housing research I've done has been online.
When I visited Tulane, several students tried to discourage me from living in Deming...they said it was convenient for class, but if you want to be able to go out at night you should avoid it.
If anyone is interested in finding a place for the summer, please message me!

what area of town are you wanting to live in?

I have to admit, I am feeling very frustrated and questioning my decision just based on my communication with various departments within the past few weeks. I email people and it takes them forever to get back to me. I hope this isn't a sign of what my entire time at Tulane will be like (inaccessibility) . I only imagine it will get worse once the semester ends and they are on a break until summer starts!

I have to admit, I am feeling very frustrated and questioning my decision just based on my communication with various departments within the past few weeks. I email people and it takes them forever to get back to me. I hope this isn't a sign of what my entire time at Tulane will be like (inaccessibility) . I only imagine it will get worse once the semester ends and they are on a break until summer starts!

I recently visited the campus and found the GEHS department ok with communication. One thing I noticed and recall from another thread is that in order to get what you want from professors and the administration, you will need to be aware of it and ask assertively for it. Unfortunately, they are a bit parochial in their accommodations and do one aspect at a time as opposed to doing it for the sake of the student's best interest.

The timing issue that you mention hasn't been too bad for me, but I think I have been fortunate so far aside for the financial aid package, which has been in the works for over a month now.

If anyone wants some additional input from my visit to Tulane's GEHS department, the school altogether, and New Orleans, I can lend a perspective from a New Englander's point of view.

My issues so far have been with financial aid, the VA representative at the school, and getting into two of the courses that I need (mainly a runaround from the GHSD department and very slow responses from one of the GEHS faculty). It just adds to the stress that I already have about trying to find a place to live, moving, and making arrangements on the military side of things (getting my orders changed and things like that).

My issues so far have been with financial aid, the VA representative at the school, and getting into two of the courses that I need (mainly a runaround from the GHSD department and very slow responses from one of the GEHS faculty). It just adds to the stress that I already have about trying to find a place to live, moving, and making arrangements on the military side of things (getting my orders changed and things like that).

Yeah, financial aid seems to be very sluggish. I wish I could shed some more light on it, but I think it's safe to say that the majority of awards are just unsubsidized loans.

When I was looking to visit some classes, I noticed that some professors were friendlier and more accessible than others. I would recommend--if you haven't done so already--to email them via your Tulane email and keep the messages concise. Have you tried asking your advisor to nudge them to speed up their response times? Everyone is in the same building, Tidewater, and they seem like a close-knit community. Even try the GEHS chair, Maureen Lichtveld, she seems helpful and willing keep everyone on their toes if they're slacking--she comes across as a milder version of Judge Judy on TV.

I dropped by the New Orleans tourist center on St. Charles St. and they had a lot of inside knowledge on housing and services available around the city. They did direct me to this website: www.makeneworleanshome.com. It seems somewhat helpful--not so much with housing. Besides craigslist, I think your best bet is NOLA.com and going to "Rentals." Worse comes to worst, you might want to consider Deming. I took a quick tour of the small studio and the 2-bedroom apartments and they're lackluster and sterile like a freshman dorm in any college, but fairly manageable. The rooms have AC/heat, but the windows can't open! There's a Subway and Walgreens in the building as well as a small cardio gym and the vicinity towards classes is unbeatable. I think you can choose the duration of your stay in the contract, so you could make things easier by staying for a short time, while you look for housing...

Bear in mind that Jazz Fest will be starting soon (Apr. 27), so I'm sure reaching people or visiting will be very difficult.

Anyway, if you have any questions or comments feel free to post here or message me.

Last edited:
I know that the financial aid will only be loans, I just wish I had something in place so I know that it could be counted on. Without it, I won't be attending and I will just need to find a different path to take. You would think the financial aid packages would be standard from school to school (33k in subsidized) but, for instance, UF only offered me 20k, expecting me to take the rest out in Grad PLUS.

I check realestate.nola.com periodically but can't really begin a search until late next month since rentals are generally listed a month or less before they want someone to move in (I don't need a place until July 1st). At the very least I could stay with my boyfriend for a little while until I find a place. Again, I just like to feel like I have things in order. So far, all of the craigslist ads that I've responded to have been scams to steal my identity and the ones listed by realtors have left me empty handed (they also seem to have an aversion to replying to my emails and phone calls). Deming isn't an option for me, and I consider them overpriced anyway.

Last edited:
I wonder who you've been talking to at financial aid....? I've been emailing the guy that is listed as the director, and he's always pretty timely with responding to my emails. I've only sent two. My award decision thing still hasn't been posted yet though... and that's making me a bit antsy.

I emailed Deming three weeks ago, and they never got back to me. I had to call today. Needless to say I'm not impressed, but I just need a place to stay for the summer.