Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

egg12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here considering Tulane? (Or does anyone already attend?) I'm looking at starting this fall in epi. and thought we could perhaps get a discussion going.

I know there was a previous thread regarding the Open House, but has anybody else visited that would like to share thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I know HSUReddie (I think that's how he spells it) visited earlier this year on his own. You might want to search his posts.

Anyone on here considering Tulane? (Or does anyone already attend?) I'm looking at starting this fall in epi. and thought we could perhaps get a discussion going.

I know there was a previous thread regarding the Open House, but has anybody else visited that would like to share thoughts?
I went to the open house and I am 95% sure I will be attending (for epi too!). I'm just waiting to hear back from a few more schools but I was really impressed by the school. The opportunities to be involved with research seem abundant, which is really important to me. The professors were extremely down to earth and involved with some great projects. I got the impression they really cared about the students. Also the international focus seems to be huge there and if you want to go abroad at all that might be something to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be going there for my PhD if I get in

I went to the open house and I am 95% sure I will be attending (for epi too!). I'm just waiting to hear back from a few more schools but I was really impressed by the school. The opportunities to be involved with research seem abundant, which is really important to me. The professors were extremely down to earth and involved with some great projects. I got the impression they really cared about the students. Also the international focus seems to be huge there and if you want to go abroad at all that might be something to consider.

I'm pretty much in the same range as far as likelihood of going there! I visited a few weeks ago as well and everyone was very welcoming and, like you said, down to earth. I'm still considering living situations and it seems like Deming might be the easiest for the first year...

Something I want to add: LA/MS do not seem to be very dog friendly, at least along the coast. I have a lab that will lick you to death, but since he's 80# I can't live in at least 80% of the rentals around here. Most places have a 25-40# weight limit and significant pet fees and/or pet rent. Just something to consider if you have pets; give yourself some extra time to scout out a place.

Yeah I plan on going down again sometime in the new few months to sort all of that out. No idea what I'll end up doing really. Its hard to plan from far away! Did you speak with any of the epi faculty during your visit? What did you think?

Something I want to add: LA/MS do not seem to be very dog friendly, at least along the coast. I have a lab that will lick you to death, but since he's 80# I can't live in at least 80% of the rentals around here. Most places have a 25-40# weight limit and significant pet fees and/or pet rent. Just something to consider if you have pets; give yourself some extra time to scout out a place.

That makes me very, very sad... My wife and I are super excited about the possibilities in New Orleans but we were also excited about getting our first dog.

Anyway, I'm 50/50 between Tulane and JHU (if I happen to get in). I wish I had the time/money to visit New Orleans! But thanks for all of your information, OneDay81, it's been quite helpful.

New Orleans is one of the most dog friendly cities I've ever lived in. There are some places with weight restrictions but that's usually if you rent from a condo. Plenty of apartments without this restriction... I have friends with German Shepherds and Great Danes that had no trouble renting. Also, due to the large stray dog population- a lot of people adopt dogs from shelters and own mixed breeds. Unlike other cities people do not discriminate against pit bull mixes in terms of rentals. Another thing I love about NOLA is that there are a lot of bars you can bring your dog to.

Thanks for the input. I've never tried to find a place in the city (and don't plan on it). I just know that since I've moved down here finding housing in my price range that will allow my dog has been near impossible and I've been trying to find a place closer to New Orleans without luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I can totally relate... up North there are so many places with an under 25 lb restriction, and I have to hide the fact that my dog has some pit in her.

I know HSUReddie (I think that's how he spells it) visited earlier this year on his own. You might want to search his posts.

She. :)

(And it's my school's mascot, long story, and I have no clue why they spelt it weird...)

OneDay, as you said, the building is sort of... well I mean it's an office building what can you say? The professors in TM seem extremely nice and down to earth though. For me, that outweighed it being in an office building. Since I'd eventually like to go to medical school anyway, I liked the close proximity to the med center, and the two schools seem to be very cooperative and intertwined.

I too am a bit bummed at the things I've seen about weight limits on pets. My parents are supposed to buy me my first dog as a graduation present, and I wanted a weimaraner. There's no way that would fit within the weight limit though, and the likely lack of a yard is another huge problem. I'm thinking a beagle might be a good alternative. (I'm not the type to have a tiny purse dog).

Has anyone else heard bad things about Deming? I unfortunately didn't get a tour of Deming while I was down, but everything I've searched and read on here as well as across the web has seemed negative.

Oh wow, sorry! I suppose it would have been safer to assume you are female since PH is dominated by females lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing I forgot to mention is I noticed that security has a locked room for keeping students' bikes while they are in class, which is really nice.

Another thing I forgot to mention is I noticed that security has a locked room for keeping students' bikes while they are in class, which is really nice.

I remember when my advisor told me about the bike room. I felt like this --> :love:

Anyone know how vital it is that you get Tulane your FAFSA by March 15?? I should have it done by tomorrow, but I hated to let it go even this long before turning it in. I've gotten the impression most people on here have filled it out already.

Not sure.. I've always done mine in Jan, even if I had to use estimates.

Can anyone comment on what the weather is ACTUALLY like in New Orleans? All I hear is HOT AND HUMID AHHH but that doesn't really mean anything to me. Being from the far north, this is a big concern... I like hot weather quite a bit, but I'm guessing I don't know what hot/humid really is. Do your clothes actually come out of the closet wet??? Lol.

In the summer, yes. July is a pretty bad month. The fall and spring are nice (in my opinion... I'm from the North and hate snow). The winter is random.. it'll range anywhere from 40 degrees to 65 degrees on a given day. I'm in NOLA right now and the weather is about 80- which is unusually warm for March- but not too humid.

I moved down here about a year ago after living in Indiana for 6 months. Big difference! It's definitely warm and humid but not dripping wet so. Dress for the weather and you will be okay. The temps have been all over the place lately!

Thanks for the info! I imagine it would be okay. I feel like the humidity could have numerous benefits over the ridiculously dry weather we experience here.

I missed the Tulane open house by a day or two, but I did visit New Orleans last week, and I have to say it is hands down the coolest city I've ever been to. I'm not much of a city person, but I would love to live there! I stayed in the french quarter with my friends for three days, and there was just so much culture. Jazz, great food, friendly people, lively bars, colorful spanish-style buildings, and the weather was 70-80 degrees and sunny (not humid). It seems like it would be a wonderful place to live!

Yeah I plan on going down again sometime in the new few months to sort all of that out. No idea what I'll end up doing really. Its hard to plan from far away! Did you speak with any of the epi faculty during your visit? What did you think?

I spoke to my advisor and she was really nice, helpful, and ready for any questions. From my understanding, they matched you based on some sort of interest you might have indicated, but I didn't indicate anything so they just put me with someone. They did say you could switch if you wanted though. Everyone I met really seemed very accommodating!

Someone else asked about Deming, and I did get to visit. I obviously don't know what it's like to live there, but for me it would be really convenient for the first year to have a furnished living space close to the school. All the rooms had fridges, a kitchenette, and a microwave. The furniture was all very dorm-like. I don't really see that as a negative though. I liked it overall. It is quite expensive, but I don't really know how much living off-campus would cost?

How much is Deming? You can find some cheap places in town, if you don't mind living like a college student and are relatively brave and not nit-picky lol

Last edited:
I missed the Tulane open house by a day or two, but I did visit New Orleans last week, and I have to say it is hands down the coolest city I've ever been to. I'm not much of a city person, but I would love to live there! I stayed in the french quarter with my friends for three days, and there was just so much culture. Jazz, great food, friendly people, lively bars, colorful spanish-style buildings, and the weather was 70-80 degrees and sunny (not humid). It seems like it would be a wonderful place to live!
I couldn't agree more with this!

Also, anyone starting in the summer??? Since I'm doing trop med, and it "supposedly" can be done in a year, I'm going to go ahead and get a head start. I just now realized though that's going to make it tough or near impossible to find a roommate though since most people are going to start in the fall. I might be better off to just get a room in Deming.

There are tons of people looking to sublet for the summer/looking for roommates (many of them Tulane students) on craigslist. Check it out. I'm planning to start summer, but I will be working full time and doing core classes online until fall.

Hey,

Im a Medical Graduate from India. Got selected for Tulane MPH-TM spring 2012.
They told me its one year program. Im just curious is there any way i can get it done in like 7-8 months. Is it possible ??

Any input will be highly appreciated

Klair.

Sounds impossible since just fall + spring is 9 months

so you mean it can be done in 9-10 months ?
or what do you think is the earliest it can be done.

It would depend on if you ate transferring in any credits, when the courses are being offered/scheduling, and if you could get a waiver to take more than the allowed number of credits per semester (I think max is 16)

hey, I'm in the midst of deciding between Tulane and UPitt. The programs are pretty similar as far as research oppurtunities, but obviously Tulane has the global aspect locked down. It really comes down to who will give me better job prospects after graduating and cost of living while in school. Any ideas on either of those?? I also have a dog that weighs about 60lbs...been looking at duplex type places and most say they accept dogs but don't post a weight limit or fees. I'm a recently returned peace corps volunteer and i dont want to leave my dog for another two years lol. Unfortunately I cant make it down to New Orleans before I have to make a decision so this forum has helped a lot in giving me an idea of campus, etc. I'm from south carolina, so weather isnt a huge deal...im used to that unbearable july/august humidity and heat. Thanks for any advice!

Cost of living comparison: http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=50000&city1=52255000&city2=54261000

Tulane says they have almost all of their students find jobs with "good titles" in public health within a year. Depending on what you want to do, you may find more networking opportunities at Pitt because so many opportunities exist on/near the east coast and you will be closer to that area.

Are you planning on pursuing a PhD? If not, what sort of job do you think you will want after you get your masters?

I don't know if you've visited PA, but I think its gorgeous.

I know with some of the programs at Tulane you can finish your campus requirements within 12-15 months and do your practicum anywhere, giving you the opportunity to make connections and gain experience anywhere you want globally. I don't know if Pitt has that opportunity.

Last edited:
Is anyone doing the PhD in Trop Med program? They are flying me in for a visit this weekend. So I guess that is when I will start sorting out housing, but does anyone know about housing for married students?

I don't plan on pursuing PhD simply because I don't want to do research the rest of my life. Dream job would be with govt org, but non-profit I wouldn't mind doing. Something that would give me opportunity to go abroad at times. Tulane has the global health certificate which I'm very interested in pursuing, but so does Pitt who also has a disaster relief certificate, another option I'd like to look into. I hear Pittsburgh is one of the best cities to live in...but New Orleans culture is drawing me in.

Admissions just called me back (from the message I left two weeks ago) to tell me my application is complete (duh) and still under review. Argh!

I think someone above said we can start in the summer? Does anyone know exactly when and what courses are offered?

I applied for fall admission, but was hoping to start a little earlier, if that's at all possible. Thanks for the link!

I applied for fall admission, but was hoping to start a little earlier, if that's at all possible. Thanks for the link!

My advisor mentioned it in my informal acceptance email back in January. I'm mainly starting early because the proposed schedule for my program is supposed to be doable within a year or year and half. I'd say contact your advisor and see if you can start early. Trop Med seemed really laid back about it... honestly, everything at Tulane seems laid back so far. I'm liking it. :)

I'll definitely contact my advisor and ask! Anyone know if we're allowed to take some undergrad classes too? I want to take some science and music classes. But I also want to be able to have some kind of internship/job and be able to balance the MPH coursework.

I'll definitely contact my advisor and ask! Anyone know if we're allowed to take some undergrad classes too? I want to take some science and music classes. But I also want to be able to have some kind of internship/job and be able to balance the MPH coursework.

I think so (although, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I was planning to either take or audit Haitian Creole.

It might be sort of tough, especially if you are trying to finish on 1-1.5 years. Have you looked at the way the scheduling looks?

Admissions just called me back (from the message I left two weeks ago) to tell me my application is complete (duh) and still under review. Argh!
I can commiserate. The e-mailed me back yesterday and told me mine was also still in review. PhD programs work differently- they aren't rolling like the MPH, but I am still frustrated because I talked to members of the committee in early Feb. and they had already begun reviewing and thinking about decisions on applications, which was 6 weeks ago. Not to mention, they don't notify by e-mail so I will have to wait for a letter once they do decide. :(

Does anyone know what it's like to get TA jobs at Tulane? As in, are there many opportunities for that? Getting some teaching experience is pretty important to me, so I was just wondering if anyone can comment on that.

Does anyone know what it's like to get TA jobs at Tulane? As in, are there many opportunities for that? Getting some teaching experience is pretty important to me, so I was just wondering if anyone can comment on that.

I asked while on my visit if there were any opportunities to TA, and they told me there was. I didn't necessarily ask how competitive it was to get a TA position though. It sounded like you needed to be there for a semester though before they allowed you to apply for that. I don't know if that's normal or not...?

Most schools expect that you have taken the class or its equivalent, before you can TA it.

I've been checking Craigslist and it seems like a lot of people are looking to have rooms filled right away. Do you all think it would be okay to wait closer to June or so to look for a place? I'm also just confused as to what is the best thing to do for living arrangements!

I've been checking Craigslist and it seems like a lot of people are looking to have rooms filled right away. Do you all think it would be okay to wait closer to June or so to look for a place? I'm also just confused as to what is the best thing to do for living arrangements!

I'm going to be of no help to you on this... I just wanted to concur I am equally confused!! :laugh:

I've checked Craiglist and this new college-related classifieds website that Tulane has called ULoop. I'm guessing you have to have a tulane.edu email to join. I've already set up my account and such and received an email about ULoop the other day. It seems like it is a great resource and all, but I also noticed people were looking for rooms to be filled right away. I've also noticed the majority of the people looking are undergrads. I kind of want to be around other graduate students I think - even better if the person is PH - and I don't mean that to sound stuck-up at all.....

Right now, I'm heavily considering Deming since it is furnished. There's also a few apartment complexes I'm looking at. I'm under the impression for Deming you don't have to have a roommate to apply for a two bedroom. They'll just stick you with someone. So if I go with the latter option of an off-campus apartment, I'd prefer to find someone... The rent is just too expensive at some places to live on your own in my opinion.

In NOLA usually landlords put apts up on craigslist kind of last minute. The max I would even look for is 2 months in advance, but a lot of places will only put up adds one month in advance.

Also, while considering if you want to live in student housing... maybe its just me but there are much nicer parts of the city to live in than the CBD. However, if you want to have the convenience of being right near class and don't like being in a strange city on your own I could totally understand, but the scenery in uptown and mid-city is preferable to the CBD IMO.

Also, is Demming even that much cheaper than living by yourself? I had a nice 1 BR apartment for $850/month when I used to live in NOLA (I negotiated with the landlord a little though). With a roommate you can find a decent 2 br apt for 1200/mo.

I agree with Epi19. NOLA is not a college town and the housing does not rotate around the academic year. If you look now, you will mostly find listings wanting someone for next month. The exception is subletting/roommates.

You can find better values than Deming, for sure.