Tulane cell and molecular biology 1 year masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredrana

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just got accepted to Tulane’s 1 year cmb masters. I’m crazy excited about the program but I’d love some insight on when to apply to medical school, how to get the most out of the program etc.
I’m take the mcat in June and was planning on applying this cycle, but now I’m wondering if the program would essentially be “wasted” if I applied before it began.
Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there are any GPA requirements for this program? my cGPA is pretty bad and is really holding me back, but I've completed some undergrad post-bacc courses and my post-bacc GPA is much better. Currently looking for SMPs that don't require the > 3.0 cGPA.

I am wondering if I should apply or wait until later in the cycle as I'm on 3 WL's but if admissions are rolling do you know how many spots are available?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there are any GPA requirements for this program? my cGPA is pretty bad and is really holding me back, but I've completed some undergrad post-bacc courses and my post-bacc GPA is much better. Currently looking for SMPs that don't require the > 3.0 cGPA.

I have gotten into this program, Tulane's Physiology, and Tulane's Pharmacology program. To my knowledge, there is no GPA requirement. I am a sGPA 2.99 and cGPA around 3.22.

I have gotten into this program, Tulane's Physiology, and Tulane's Pharmacology program. To my knowledge, there is no GPA requirement. I am a sGPA 2.99 and cGPA around 3.22.
Which program did you decide to accept?

So you can apply to more than one of the programs at the same time? I had this question earlier but I don’t think anyone in the school got back to me about it..

Which program did you decide to accept?
I ended up accepting my position in the Pharmacology program. I had gotten in contact with students currently in the physiology program that did not enjoy themselves or the structure of the program, so I ended up not doing it. However, physiology will be undoubtedly helpful on Step if you choose to go this way regardless of who is teaching (it's mostly selftaught anyway).

I was also offered admission into the Cell Biology program, but I have since declined this as well.

So you can apply to more than one of the programs at the same time? I had this question earlier but I don’t think anyone in the school got back to me about it..

You can! I ended up applying to 3 at Tulane. They might be able to access your files across all your application given you have one applicant reference number for all accounts, but I do not think it effect's their decision making process.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if you need a competitive or minimum MCAT score to get into the program?

You can! I ended up applying to 3 at Tulane. They might be able to access your files across all your application given you have one applicant reference number for all accounts, but I do not think it effect's their decision making process.
Did you happen to speak to anyone about the cell bio program? I’m having a hard time finding people or information from past students.

Did you happen to speak to anyone about the cell bio program? I’m having a hard time finding people or information from past students.
Marnie Elksky would be the person to talk to. If you google her name and type in Tulane it will take you to her contact info (I can't post a link)

I only am aware of one person in the program that I went to undergrad with.

Hi, did you end up doing the cell bio program? If so, what was the course rigor like, and was a 3.7+ gpa attainable? Thanks!

Hi, did you end up doing the cell bio program? If so, what was the course rigor like, and was a 3.7+ gpa attainable? Thanks!
I actually ended up going to another program, sorry wish I would be more help :(