Tuition Increase...what do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocTAP87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely not happy in PT school but I'm doing what I can to get through it. Now I'm being tested again as we received an email that our tuition is increasing 10.4% which adds an additional 64.00 per credit hour putting us well over 600 per credit hour + hundreds of dollars worth of fees, books, etc.

Here's a bit of my situation...

I messed up a lot in undergrad not knowing what to do with my life. I have 76K in undergrad loans. I have now taken out 40K for PT school. By the time I am done, I'll be closing in on or over 200k in loans. Combine this with my constant stress, frustration, and anxiety in PT school it's hardly seeming worth it.

All of the classes wrote a lengthy letter arguing against the increase and demanding a meeting with the dean. However, I did not sign it because I know it will not make a difference and we're at the mercy of their decisions. I did not want my name associated with the complaint.

The letter stated that tuition will continue to increase each year. I don't know how much more I can take.

What do you guys think? Is it worth the cost? How often did your tuition go up?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm definitely not happy in PT school but I'm doing what I can to get through it. Now I'm being tested again as we received an email that our tuition is increasing 10.4% which adds an additional 64.00 per credit hour putting us well over 600 per credit hour + hundreds of dollars worth of fees, books, etc.

I messed up a lot in undergrad not knowing what to do with my life. I have 76K in undergrad loans. I have now taken out 40K for PT school. By the time I am done, I'll be closing in on or over 200k in loans. Combine this with my constant stress, frustration, and anxiety in PT school it's hardly seeming worth it.

All of the classes wrote a lengthy letter arguing against the increase and demanding a meeting with the dean. However, I did not sign it because I know it will not make a difference and we're at the mercy of their decisions. I did not want my name associated with the complaint.

The letter stated that tuition will continue to increase each year. I don't know how much more I can take.

Thanks!
Tuition at my school went up 7% between year one and year two.

How far along in school are you? It may not make sense now to leave PT school if you are already a few semester in. What would you do instead? There are jobs you can work in PT where salary can approach or break 100k fairly early on

Members don't see this ad :)
How far along in school are you? It may not make sense now to leave PT school if you are already a few semester in. What would you do instead? There are jobs you can work in PT where salary can approach or break 100k fairly early on

I'm about to finish my first year. I have no idea what else I would do. A vegan food truck? 1950s Soda Shop? All my other dreams are food related.

Seriously, I want to be a PT. It's just so expensive and stressful. If I drop out now, I would have to get a job making what a PT would make right out of school because those loans will hit.

Thanks!

If this increase was not mentioned as a possibility in the initial acceptance letter and the school cannot transparently provide info on why this is necessary, that may be grounds for a lawsuit

I would consult an attorney.

Last edited:
I don't remember any mention of tuition increase in the acceptance letter. I can look later. The letter they sent to tell us about the tuition increase says to expect increases every year. Their reasoning is to pay for extra staff and to maintain the high quality of the program. Do you really think a lawsuit or demanding a meeting with the dean makes any difference? I feel like we have two choices...suck it up or drop out.

I don't remember any mention of tuition increase in the acceptance letter. I can look later. The letter they sent to tell us about the tuition increase says to expect increases every year. Their reasoning is to pay for extra staff and to maintain the high quality of the program. Do you really think a lawsuit or demanding a meeting with the dean makes any difference? I feel like we have two choices...suck it up or drop out.

Student petition asking for spreadsheets or perhaps petition to governor of the state.

Last edited:
I'm about to finish my first year. I have no idea what else I would do. A vegan food truck? 1950s Soda Shop? All my other dreams are food related.

Seriously, I want to be a PT. It's just so expensive and stressful. If I drop out now, I would have to get a job making what a PT would make right out of school because those loans will hit.

Unlikely you will find a job immediately making that much. From a practical standpoint, it probably makes more sense staying in school and becoming a PT. Not to mention its a great career with a ton of flexibility.

Reactions: 1 user