Tufts MBS or Tulane MBS (Biochemistry Masters)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timu1996

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all!

I've been accepted to these two programs, but am having difficulty deciding which one is the right one for me. For reference, CA resident who graduated with a 2.3 sgpa and a 2.8 cgpa and have since post bacced my way up to a 2.9 sgpa and 3.1 cgpa (will hopefully be at 3.0 sgpa and 3.2 cgpa by the end of the summer).

Tufts MBS
Pros:
-Well-established program with a strong track record...will likely carry more weight?
-80+% acceptance to MD/DO/International med according to website
-Students admitted to medical schools all over
-Models medical school curriculum more closely
-Great advising
-In Boston, lots of things to do (not like I'll have the time lol)..also lobster rolls
-A fairly young and diverse city (large Asian population)
-Good public transport (will not have a car)
-Sharewood clinic volunteering
-TUSOM takes around 20-30 students from the program every year
-Program could potentially open the door for me to get into Tulane med (the reverse is not as likely with Tulane's MBS)
-Built in MCAT prep (second semester is lighter to allow for time to prepare)
-Large program could be beneficial in that there's more people I might jive with (though I am more comfortable in smaller settings)
-Students in program are from all over the US

Cons:
-Large program (120+ students)
-Expensive program and expensive city
-Don't like cold weather much (can make me a little depressed)
-Earlier start date....will basically have about 2 weeks to figure out how to move
-Will have significant overlap between start of program and end of my current summer classes
-Harder than Tulane
-Curriculum involves a lot of courses
-Will likely have less time for ECs compared to Tulane and less time to study for MCAT (though there is built in MCAT prep)
-Less time to work on writing application because more difficult program
-Host med school has higher average stats than Tulane
-Will feel guilty going to such an expensive program if I don't get into medical school after

Tulane MBS (Biochem)
Pros:
-Small class size (~30 students)
-85% acceptance to MD/DO/International med according to website
-Appears to be an easier program with a few medical school equivalent classes
-Smaller number of classes overall (less stressful). I'm already a bit burn out from my post bacc (have taken 70+ units as of now) and less classes will be a plus for my well-being.
-Cheaper program and city (half the cost of Tufts...I do not need to take out loans for either though)
-Also has great advising according to former students
-In New Orleans, so still lots to do...also crawfish and beignets
-More time to study for MCAT potentially since easier program
-More time to work on writing application since easier program
-According to a former student, 7-8 students accepted to Tulane
-Starts 10 days later than Tufts (more time to relax and figure out how to move)
-Less overlap between summer courses and start of program
-Weather is more tolerable for me
-Will have a good amount of time for ECs
-Have ties to Louisiana since I grew up there (not sure how much this will matter? Or if it will even matter?)
-Host med school has lower average stats than Tufts

Cons:
-Not as well-known (might not hold as much weight)
-Seems like students not admitted to Tulane largely end up at state schools...which probably won't be an option for me since CA
-Students in the program seem to be mostly from the south? Though I have talked to someone from PA that went there. Might be important to consider when looking at the acceptance rate to med
-Less public transport (though not awful I've heard)
-Less med school equivalent classes
-Smaller Asian population and slightly older average age
-Lots of other medical-oriented masters programs at Tulane including Tulane ACP, which appears to be a stronger program in terms of linkage
-Smaller program could work against me if I don't jive well with the group (everyone I've talked to who has done the program has been really nice though)
-Will feel guilty going to a lesser-known program if I don't get into med school after
Do you mind telling which school you went to and how you like it?

Reactions: 1 user
If you decide Tulane, let me know. I’m accepted to their microbiology and immunology program and planning on attending. The school is pretty good. I’m kind of in a similar position as you except I’m accepted to Boston University instead of Tufts. Feel free to PM me
PM-ed you!