Tufts Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so here's something I'm really curious about. Does Tufts record their lectures so that students can download the audio or video and watch them later while following along with the professor's ppt? Also, does Tufts have a notetaking service? Does the majority of Tufts students attend lecture?

Hey guys, congrats on ur acceptances. I'm a first year now and procrastinating...but yes most lectures are recorded. some prof requested that their lectures won't be recorded to encourage lecture attendance. we don't have a note-taking service unfortunately but ppl often share their notes and such before exam time.

btw, to the ppl in the md/mba program, i'm in that program now if u have any questions.

Hey, I just got an email asking me to update my mail info on the secondary website. It states that it will be mailing out decisions by the end of this week for applicants that interviewed in january. How do you guys get the decision? Is it by phone? email? mail? are all acceptances given by phone?

Hey guys, congrats on ur acceptances. I'm a first year now and procrastinating...but yes most lectures are recorded. some prof requested that their lectures won't be recorded to encourage lecture attendance. we don't have a note-taking service unfortunately but ppl often share their notes and such before exam time.

btw, to the ppl in the md/mba program, i'm in that program now if u have any questions.

Hi Rodie,

Thanks for your response. When you say lectures are recorded, do you mean just audio or video/audio? I feel like unless I live within walking distance of campus, I'll probably just sleep in for my first lecture and roll into campus for second lecture and just stay up a little later listening to the first lecture online. One more question, I haven't taken Biochem, do you think I should buy some type of board review book for biochem and flip through it? I figure I'm gonna buy it anyway to study for the boards, so what's wrong with buying it now and getting a headstart on what I'll be learning in class so it's not so tough. If you think that's a good idea, do you have any suggestions on which book to buy?

Thanks!

The lectures are audio-recorded, but not videotaped.

Honestly, I think you should relax and have fun this summer instead of studying. This is the very last summer before med school, it'll be over before you know it! We weren't required to buy textbooks for Biochem, the syllabus they provided was very comprehensive and detailed. But if you really, really, REALLY want to study, I used the Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry and I really like that book. Its explanations are clear and the pictures are great. Hope this helps!

The lectures are audio-recorded, but not videotaped.

Honestly, I think you should relax and have fun this summer instead of studying. This is the very last summer before med school, it'll be over before you know it! We weren't required to buy textbooks for Biochem, the syllabus they provided was very comprehensive and detailed. But if you really, really, REALLY want to study, I used the Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry and I really like that book. Its explanations are clear and the pictures are great. Hope this helps!

Sounds good.

So anyone else excited about Tufts? Anyone looking for roommates or am I jumping the gun here?

does Tufts have on-campus housing as the fin aid forms suggest, which i guess i completely missed on the interview....

does Tufts have on-campus housing as the fin aid forms suggest, which i guess i completely missed on the interview....

ya they do but apparently they're very run down and unattractive. most people find apartments somewhere on the T.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya they do but apparently they're very run down and unattractive. most people find apartments somewhere on the T.

I've also heard the metropolitan apartments nearby are popular with first years...

Word of advice- don't live in Chinatown. It's a dive.

Feel free to PM with specific questions on where to live, etc. I know Boston pretty well, as I've been here for 2 years.

I've also heard the metropolitan apartments nearby are popular with first years...

Just got my phone call! Hi to my fellow potential Tufts 2011 classmates!
I was interested if any current students read this and had more information on the MD/MPH and the MD/MA programs. Getting two degrees in 4 years would be amazing and I'm really interested in public health and in international affairs. Any comments/suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to all my fellow acceptees! :D

In regards to second look, I asked the dean and he said they don't have a formal weekend. However, if we want to come up and visit again all we have to do is coordinate it with Emily. Anyone want to pick a date for an informal Tufts 2011 pre-orientation?

I was interested if any current students read this and had more information on the MD/MPH and the MD/MA programs. Getting two degrees in 4 years would be amazing and I'm really interested in public health and in international affairs. Any comments/suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated! Congrats to all my fellow acceptees! :D

In regards to second look, I asked the dean and he said they don't have a formal weekend. However, if we want to come up and visit again all we have to do is coordinate it with Emily. Anyone want to pick a date for an informal Tufts 2011 pre-orientation?

congrats vandy girl! i like your idea on an informal pre-orientation. how about friday feb. 23rd? is that cool with everyone and anyone interested? i'll be in town that thursday and friday and i could free myself on friday.

I'm down.

congrats vandy girl! i like your idea on an informal pre-orientation. how about friday feb. 23rd? is that cool with everyone and anyone interested? i'll be in town that thursday and friday and i could free myself on friday.

NO! :( I'll still be in Nashville that weekend. I am moving back to Maryland on the 24th/25th. I was thinking more along the lines of March/April once more people have heard back. Maybe the weekend of March 10th or March 17th?

NO! :( I'll still be in Nashville that weekend. I am moving back to Maryland on the 24th/25th. I was thinking more along the lines of March/April once more people have heard back. Maybe the weekend of March 10th or March 17th?

I'm planning a trip back around April 10 or so to look at housing, etc. I don't want to trudge around in a March snowstorm :)

I'll be with you guys at the pre-orientation in spirit... I get back from Asia in late April but will be living in Boston from June 1st on, so anyone who needs/wants to make a summer trip to look for housing, see the school again, etc. is free to crash at my place...

I'll be with you guys at the pre-orientation in spirit... I get back from Asia in late April but will be living in Boston from June 1st on, so anyone who needs/wants to make a summer trip to look for housing, see the school again, etc. is free to crash at my place...

We'll be thinking about you! Enjoy the rest of your time in China. My roommate from last year is there teaching English and having a blast! (She is in Shenzhen)

I'm planning a trip back around April 10 or so to look at housing, etc. I don't want to trudge around in a March snowstorm :)

I could be down for a pre-orientation April 10th! I'm liking this do-it-yourself get together. Keep me posted on your arrangements. I definitely don't want to be travelling during a snowstorm. Here in Nashville we can barely handle a dusting :laugh: All the schools shut down when there was just an inch of snow!

We'll be thinking about you! Enjoy the rest of your time in China. My roommate from last year is there teaching English and having a blast! (She is in Shenzhen)

I could be down for a pre-orientation April 10th! I'm liking this do-it-yourself get together. Keep me posted on your arrangements. I definitely don't want to be travelling during a snowstorm. Here in Nashville we can barely handle a dusting :laugh: All the schools shut down when there was just an inch of snow!
when did u interview?

Fine, how about April 27th? If we're gonna be waiting till more people get accepted, let's make it right before we officially have to accept it. That way it'll leave the strongest impression and we'll all be convinced to go!

And if that doesn't convince you, how about this: come onnnnnnnnnnn?!

I could also do April 20th and possibly the 13th but nothing before then.

Fine, how about April 27th? If we're gonna be waiting till more people get accepted, let's make it right before we officially have to accept it. That way it'll leave the strongest impression and we'll all be convinced to go!

And if that doesn't convince you, how about this: come onnnnnnnnnnn?!

I could also do April 20th and possibly the 13th but nothing before then.

I'll check with my people and have them call your people! My spring schedule is just ridiculous right now, but I may be able to swing a trip up to beantown between April 13th and 20th.

And arsenewenger, I don't want to give my exact date but my interview was in January.

I'll check with my people and have them call your people! My spring schedule is just ridiculous right now, but I may be able to swing a trip up to beantown between April 13th and 20th.

And arsenewenger, I don't want to give my exact date but my interview was in January.

holla fo a dolla

i think tufts uses microscopres. I dont know about the laptop bit though.

Hey guys, I'm a 1st year at TUSM. It's a great place, and to answer the question, for histology we use online digital slides that you can look at from the computer lab or from home when in bed.

Hey Vandy girl, prior to ur acceptance call, did you receive the email about updating your address?

actually, sorry vandy, i can't make it down there in april...but i will be visiting tufts on friday 2/23 if schaden freud is still interested..i emailed emily and now just waiting for her to get back to me...if anyone else is down, lemme know and i'll let emily know...

hey babaghannough.....I would be willing visit the medical school with u guys on friday 2/23. I am from CT so it isnt a bad drive unless there is some kind of snowstorm. Let me know if you are still willing to go that weekend.
actually, sorry vandy, i can't make it down there in april...but i will be visiting tufts on friday 2/23 if schaden freud is still interested..i emailed emily and now just waiting for her to get back to me...if anyone else is down, lemme know and i'll let emily know...

hey babaghannough.....I would be willing visit the medical school with u guys on friday 2/23. I am from CT so it isnt a bad drive unless there is some kind of snowstorm. Let me know if you are still willing to go that weekend.

Yeah I'm definitely going and glad to hear you can come. Just PM me with your name and I'll tell Emily you'll be joining us.

Anyone else up for Friday 2/23?

Yeah I'm definitely going and glad to hear you can come. Just PM me with your name and I'll tell Emily you'll be joining us.

Anyone else up for Friday 2/23?

Love to join you guys but I just snagged plane tickets today...April 11-18, I'm there. Sorry I'll miss you but I'll see you when we begin! Any others out there other than Badger and I doing the MD/MBA?

Love to join you guys but I just snagged plane tickets today...April 11-18, I'm there. Sorry I'll miss you but I'll see you when we begin! Any others out there other than Badger and I doing the MD/MBA?

It's all good... I have to be up in Boston in 3 weeks so I might as well just make one trip rather than 2 if I can. Anyone else for Friday 2/23?

So I've been emailing Emily Condon from Admissions and when I told her we were setting up these makeshift second looks she told me that since there's no official program, we can't be advertising them. So instead of us organizing them, she told me to tell you all to email her individually to set something up with her.

So runner girl and others please email her at [email protected] to set up your own thing. Sorry guys.

p.s. I'll still be there 2/23 depending on if she can set me up with a student.

Hey guys, I'm a 1st year at TUSM. It's a great place, and to answer the question, for histology we use online digital slides that you can look at from the computer lab or from home when in bed.

Bostonguy,

I thought I remembered one of the students during my interview day mentioning that they didn't use textbooks and that the school provided large notes packets for each class... has that been your experience?

So I've been emailing Emily Condon from Admissions and when I told her we were setting up these makeshift second looks she told me that since there's no official program, we can't be advertising them. So instead of us organizing them, she told me to tell you all to email her individually to set something up with her.

So runner girl and others please email her at [email protected] to set up your own thing. Sorry guys.

p.s. I'll still be there 2/23 depending on if she can set me up with a student.

I emailed Emily Condon and she said she would let me know if there will be any student willing to show me around that day. I'll let you know if I hear anything from her soon.

I emailed Emily Condon and she said she would let me know if there will be any student willing to show me around that day. I'll let you know if I hear anything from her soon.

Yeah definitely. We can do our own tour of the campus afterwards because I think she's only setting us up with students to sit in lecture. Anyways, I'll keep you posted too.

I wasnt sure if this question was asked before..but I was wondering if anyone knows what the first yr schedule is like in terms of average number of hours per week in lectures, PBL, selectives, etc. I was just curious because some other schools that I interviewed at had given the breakdown.

If I do Tufts, I'll be in for the MD/MBA...& will definitely be looking at Tufts/Boston again sometime in April.

i'm still debating between tufts and some others. do you know how tufts students fare on the board exams and how they match? i know at interviews we were given packets with match information, but do you know how the school helps prepare for the boards?

Any currently accepted students living around NYC? I'm in Manhattan and would love to go out for drinks or dinner with some of my future classmates. Also, feel free to Facebook me (Jonathan Bass, Columbia Grad '07, USF Alum '06). Maybe we could start a facebook group or something. Best wishes for everyone's day.

i'm still debating between tufts and some others. do you know how tufts students fare on the board exams and how they match? i know at interviews we were given packets with match information, but do you know how the school helps prepare for the boards?

Hey, I'm a first year at Tufts, but due to some personal reasons I took a leave of absence and I'm actually going to be joining your class next year. :)

Last year Tufts scored one point below the national average on the boards. The administration is currently working on this by writing exams that are more "boards oriented," the exams will are more frequently written in the format of a clinical scenario and then questions are written around that scenario.

We match very well; mostly because our school has an excellent reputation for providing strong clinical training... no, the school doesn't do the greatest job holding your hand for the first two years getting you through the boards but it does an excellent job making you into a competent clinician. The fact of the matter is, if you want to do well on the boards, all you really need to do is motivate yourself to study as you go along with First Aid and some board review books and before you take the exam to pound out a few weeks or months of some really hard core studying. Good luck with your decision and maybe I'll see you next year.

babaghannough: another procrastinating 1st yr here, all of the courses have associated coursepacks that you pick up in the office of student affairs at the beginning of the class. most are fairly comprehensive but for the larger classes like biochem you may benefit from grabbing a good review book (most use lippincotts for biochem for example) the only class you need a real textbook for is anatomy. moores clinical anat. as well as an atlas is key to learning (and passing) all in all, there is plenty of material available online and in the coursepacks for you to get by. and as was said before, dont study over the summer, really. have fun! you'll do enough studying once the fall rolls around.

runnergirl007: class schedule varies day to day, but fall semester is mostly 8-12:15 MWF mornings, Tues you have selective in the afternoon after morning classes, where you go out into the hospital or community to shadow, do community service projects etc. This time is variable. the first block i went to Newton Wellsley hosp. for orthopedic surg. and was there sometimes until 7PM (of my own choosing of course) watching surgeries. Other selectives only take an hour or two. Thurs afternoons there is interviewing, which is fun. After a lecture you and a small group go to the hospital to get comfortable talking with patients, usually until 4pm. Fri afternoon you have PBL until 3pm. Histology lab times are slotted in the afternoon during the second half of the semester, which are open ended computer labs where the profs hang out and answer questions or take you through a slide set one on one or in a small group. its mostly optional. overall its pretty laid back.
2nd semester starts later in the morn, but you tend to be around a bit later in the afternoon classwise. the anatomy lab is open during library hours (till 11 weeknights), you just need your ID to get into the building.

class schedule varies day to day, but fall semester is mostly 8-12:15 MWF mornings...

Doesn't sound too bad... in addition to the PBL on fridays do you have regular scheduled activities on monday and/or wednesday afternoons or is it just a block of time to study?

Also, how have the exam schedules been?

Thanks.

no its quite reasonable.

mondays and weds in the afternoon are usually clear first semester. second semester you may have class until 2 or 3, but not always. if you want, go to tusk tusk.tufts.edu and there is a pulldown menu at the bottom called "schedules" that guests can access. you can get to the winter schedule by going to the first week in january and clicking "previous week" it is still up but there is no direct link to it.

the office of educational affairs is very attentive and trys to schedule exams in a student friendly manner, usually with a good chunk of time off the day before, like an open afternoon, and sometimes nothing else after on the day of the exam. they also try to be as good as they can about various holidays, although i think this semester one of the anatomy exams falls on a hindu holiday. they are trying to reschedule it though. as a side note an interfaith student council has been established, mostly for the discussion of how various religions interact/integrate with medicine, but they are working with the OEA to schedule exams around important religious events.

for second year, testing happens a little more often, and sometimes they can be clustered together.

no its quite reasonable.

mondays and weds in the afternoon are usually clear first semester. second semester you may have class until 2 or 3, but not always. if you want, go to tusk tusk.tufts.edu and there is a pulldown menu at the bottom called "schedules" that guests can access. you can get to the winter schedule by going to the first week in january and clicking "previous week" it is still up but there is no direct link to it.

the office of educational affairs is very attentive and trys to schedule exams in a student friendly manner, usually with a good chunk of time off the day before, like an open afternoon, and sometimes nothing else after on the day of the exam. they also try to be as good as they can about various holidays, although i think this semester one of the anatomy exams falls on a hindu holiday. they are trying to reschedule it though. as a side note an interfaith student council has been established, mostly for the discussion of how various religions interact/integrate with medicine, but they are working with the OEA to schedule exams around important religious events.

for second year, testing happens a little more often, and sometimes they can be clustered together.

thanks for the info twtkid!

um, so when are we gonna start our very own gdamn facebook group?

Anyone know when the Financial Aid office begins to send out award letters?