TUCOM is just awesome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedAdAG

I am so smart. S-M-R-T :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,
so the program we had at UC Davis went brilliantly. Again, I was reassured, that osteopathic medicine is the way to go for me. I know I'm not applying right now, but I wish I was. This will sound really cheezy to all of you, but I'm actually so pumped up about all the information I learned this evening, that I can't focus on studying for my midterm tomorrow. Okay, I just had to get that out. What do you guys think.... I can either wait to apply one year from this June with an updated MCAT score and EMT experience and an abroad experienc, or I can apply this June, plan on retaking the MCAT this august, originally it was a 23Q, and a GPA of 3.68. Hmmmm.. I think I'm just jumping the gun... all I need is patience right???? Okay... well thanks for letting me vent... once again, these forums prove to release the panic of the whole med school process!! Good luck to all interviewers and accepted students.

Christine
Go Ags!

Members don't see this ad.

Chrisitne,

I can think of a million reasons you should apply this june (because you might just get in, because we might be classmates, because that is one year ealier you get to begin doing the real thing, because that is one year earlier get to enact change as a medical student or as a doctor) and only one for why you should wait. From what I know of you, the only chink in your armour is what you feel is a lacking MCAT score, but remeber, that score is from one eight hour test and in my opinion, much easier to explain away then lets say ones GPA... Look at your GPA for goodness sake! That is a description and a testement to your work ethic which I feel in your case is very very strong.
My application numbers are basically the opposite of yours (low gpa, stong MCAT), and given the chance to explain I get to use the "I always have had at least one full time job, in fact during my senior year i worked an average of 80 hours for an ambulance company, but given a task, such as the MCAT, there is nothing i cannot achieve" I think it is fair to say your situation is much more favorable in the eyes of an admissions committee than mine.

With respect to "the need to display patience".... There are other ways to do that than waiting a year to send out your application. Yes, it is very possible that if you wait you will score and interview and one of your interviewers will ask "Ms. Ogden, please give me and example of how you have demonstrated patience.." and you will nail the question, but what if (and this is a huge what if, so huge that i hate to even bring it up) you dont do better on the MCAT?

So please please please... Apply in June! Early Admissions Process even, cuz you know as well as I that TUCOM is the bomb diggety...

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

p.s. Did you get manipulated last night? Stay off SDN! you have an awesome GPA to protect! Smack John upside his head for me... I am sure you know this, but John is basically a DO-hater, and that kind of hits me personally considering he was one of my pledge kids.

Brian....did you already hear from TUCOM? Saw your note about the waitlist and am wondering what your status is.

I gotta tell you, I don't think I've run across anybody on here that wants to get into a school more than you want to get into TUCOM! <G> I really hope you make it in there.

I'll be there in the fall and hope to see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Macken,

Thank you for the compliment (that was a compliment, right?).

Yes, I am an ethusiastic soul, but enthusiam can only get you so far... ethusiasm is not the best predictor of future performance...

and for this reason (and I should preempt this with, "it is my opinion") I have been placed on the low waitlist at TUCOM.

Ugh

I havent stopped talking and chatting and emailing about this subject since I found out at 1:23 this afternoon, nor do I see myself stopping until I get final confirmation that I am no longer a candidate for either the class of 2007 or 2008.

I would start paying tuition today if it would guarantee me a spot in this years, next years, or even the year after next year's class at Touro, but once again despiration nor dedication will ameliorate my current status.

I am sure most everyone that is reading this is thinking "oh, just take the MCAT again" or "just retake the big unit classes that you did poorly in," but at this point and time I am too emotionally drained to think about such plans...

I will be spending this weekend decompressing, rejoicing in the fact that i have even been considered a candidate to compete with a group of people of such awesome caliber, refelecting on my first OMM treatment provided by a TUCOM presentation at my alma mater, and of course, writing an email to Dr. Haight to ask for advice on what would be the best course of action since Touro is my goal.

New DO letters of rec are being written, I have already scheduled some DO shadowing time, and I am looking for a way to bump up my GPA...

Thanks everyone for all the words of encouragment ... Dr. Haight even said "wow Brian, you have a lot of people on SDN rooting for you today..." and i can't begin to tell you how great an honor that is...

Anyways, I think I am rambling, so I will stop for now...

I will keep everyone updated as news is given to me and thank all again so much.

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]
waitlisted at Western, low-waitlisted at Touro

and for me, one of the biggest reasons I want to get in is so i can stop preceding all my advice with "this is what I have done, but i can't account for it's effectiveness or validity since i havent gotten nto school yet..."

I want to be a valid an reliable source of information, but right now I feel like the only information i can give is how to get on a waitlist...

That is just my disheartened and near defeated soul speaking but I honestly have no right to think that the situation that I am in is a bad one. I have to take into account those who havent been as lucky as me to get secondaries, to get interviews.... If I am frustated and hurt, I can't imagine how those who havent been as lucky as me must feel...

And on top of that, I got my decison THREE DAYS after my interview... I have no right to complain, considering it isnt uncommon to wait months and months...

I am rambling again...

Brian

For the panel interview, how many questions are asked for each person? And usually how long are the responses?

so the panel should be composed of four people, who will be interviewing four to six candidates. The interview lasts about 45-50 minutes long with a 10-15min period for questions. In my interview each applicant was not asked the same number of questions, some were asked three questions, I was asked six. The length of your response is depends on how you want to answer the question, but I am sure if you "over-answer" the question, you will be cut off... (I have been told that an interviewer has intervened before an applicant was finished answering with the statement, "you aren't answering my question")

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

EarlyEditionDude, don't worry about the interview. The school does everything they can to make you feel very comfortable--Just be yourself. My group had four interviewers (2 basic science, 1 DO, 1 student) and four interviewees. I found that they were all very interested in getting to know me and hearing what I had to say. I felt very comfortable and relaxed. Be sure to pay attention and listen to the responses of the others in your group--in other words, give them the respect you would want when you are talking. Good luck!

Brian, sorry to hear about your waitlist. You seem like you are very dedicated to the school and have a strong desire to attend. As such, I would recommend not getting discouraged. Lots of doctors had to apply twice and even more took the MCAT more than once. The important thing is to remain dedicated. If this is truly what you want--don't give up, just apply again and remain positive. Good luck, you will be a doc soon enough.

Originally posted by irish79
Brian, sorry to hear about your waitlist. You seem like you are very dedicated to the school and have a strong desire to attend. As such, I would recommend not getting discouraged. Lots of doctors had to apply twice and even more took the MCAT more than once. The important thing is to remain dedicated. If this is truly what you want--don't give up, just apply again and remain positive. Good luck, you will be a doc soon enough.

Brian, let me second irish79's comments.

Hope you can get in! Don't give up. I didn't get in the first year I applied to med school. If you don't make it this year, dust yourself off and start the whole process over. I did! It's only another year and it goes quick.

Did TUCOM give you any idea of how much movement they have on their waitlist and/or how far they made it into last year's waitlist?

Hang in there. I haven't seen anybody yet with your same kind of tenacity/determination not succeed in achieving their goal!

Macken and irish79,

Thank you for the kind words... This week(end) has been most taxing... I have been discussing contingency plans with friends and family, generating an email for Dr. Haight that rivals War and Peace in its length, and mulling over what went wrong... (yet the whole time fostering a feeling of thankfulness toward Touro since I very well could have been flat out rejected, but as of now, I still am a candidate vying for a seat at Touro... sweet!)

With respect to movement off the waitlist, Dr. Haight did allude to it during my interview day, but I didnt write it down.. I guess I was too focused on the image of me going through orientation and going to my first day of classes... I believe he said that seven were picked up from the waitlist into the accepted class last year, but he also talked about seats being awarded to waitlisters into the next years class.... I would take that offer in a heartbeat! (In my first post on SDN I offered my left kidney for an interview, and I got it, but my kidney is still intact, therefore still available for harvest in exchange for a chance to interview for 2008!)

I was crushed when the news was first revealed to me that it is very very very unlikely that i will be starting school at Touro in august, but oddly enough, i feel even more driven to want to go to school there now.. My plan was to get into school there and be one of the top students in my class, basically erasing my poor performance from undergrad... now my new goal is to comfort the admission committee that I am in no way a risk, but rather will be a huge contribution to their institution that will be, with question, successful, then be one of the top students in my class...

I am going to stop typing now because I getting all excited!!!

Thanks again everyone....

Tips and advice (and compliments) always welcome..

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Good luck in your quest for admission. Dont give up and you will find it works out for you. I am very happy about my choice and enjoyed the program. We graduate soon and it was all worth it!
ps-nice helo link. I assume you will be doing many of your 3rd and 4th clerkships back at UCD-that should work out really well.

TUCOM 2003

8404 and dpw68,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement... The awesomeness of all the friends I have made during this journey is one of the main reasons I am still trucking on...

Of course I pray that I will get picked up off the waitlist into this years class, but realistically that is highly unlikely... I think am much more fair and proper goal is to somehow convince the ad com to select me for a spot in the class of 2008... I am somewhat discouraged by the thought of this new goal I have undertaken... If the ad com has chosen me for their low waitlist, what makes me think I am a viable candidate for their school at all?? But when I give myself a second to think about the situation some more, I get all excited and enthused because I know I can be a huge contribution to Touro and in exchange I will get to fulfill my dream of practicing medicine...

I really hope I end up at touro one day, if not as a student, then maybe as a faculty member, and then hopefully I can serve on their admissions committee and fiqure out how this crazy application process works...

dpw,

kick butt on your upcoming interview... if there is anything i can do for you to help prepare for the big day, just say the word...

I would love to hear some of your experiences and opinions of your school and time as a student... If I end up at Touro, I definitely will do my best to spend a significant portion of my rotations at UCDMC, not just for me, but also to hopefully establish a good working relationship between Touro and the UC Davis Medical Center...

thanks again everyone!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Brian,
I don't think you are the only one who is disappointed by the adcom's decision. There are several people on SDN who wanted to see you in at Touro. It is really tough for us to see someone as dedicated to the process and his fellow applicants as you are and not get what he wants. But you are still in the game. You didn't get the crimson R. One of my friends got into Touro off the Waitlist, so there is still hope.
I can only imagine how difficult it is to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep running the race. But you are doing it. And you are still outpacing many others. Just keep it up.
I think you are on the right track asking Dr. Haight for advice on making your package more competitive for the 2008 cycle (especially since you know you will be automatically be looked at again for that cycle).

Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you!
Nikki