Trying to get into a UC Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

tvanhens

I just finished my freshman year of college. I achieved a 3.28 first semester and a 4.0 second semester. I have a 4.0 BCPM and have begun independent study for MCATS as well as once a week tutoring for it. This year I didn't really get involved with much on campus, but I plan to next year. This summer I am shadowing an orthopedic surgeon for two weeks and I am getting basic EMT training. Next year I will be working two shifts as an EMT. Additionally I have one published paper in computer science and I am working on another research paper on computerized tomography.

I really want to get into a UC (particularly UCSF). However, I kind of slacked my first semester (3.28). I am confident I can get a 4.0 from here on out but that will only bring me up to a 3.9. What MCAT score would I need to achieve to be competitive for UCSF? Also, would it be better to volunteer in a hospital next semester, or would it be better to get involved with student leadership, because I have the opportunity for either but the time for only one?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a 46U

Oh, and Hospital Volunteering is needed more. You are going into medicine, not Politics.

Get a 46U

Oh, and Hospital Volunteering is needed more. You are going into medicine, not Politics.

That's too low. In three years, the MCAT will move to a 99 point system and they'll open up the writing portion to all letters of the alphabet. He'll need at least a 98 to make it. The WS still won't matter.