Trouble ranking med-prelim/neuro programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurogeek105

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble adding med-prelim/neuro programs to their supplemental ROLs? The ones I've tried to add are greyed out.

Additionally, are we limited to two supplemental ROLs?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing that goes on your supplemental list is prelim programs. You cannot (and should not) put neuro programs there. If you're trying to do that, you misunderstand how the match works, and I'm worried that your main list is incorrect.

You are not limited to 2 supplemental lists. I think you can have as many as you want (although there's no value to having more than the number of programs on your main list). Each main list rank can be linked to a single supplemental.

Why don't you tell us how you set up your main and supplemental lists? Better to be sure you've got it right before the deadline this week! You don't have to name programs, use aliases, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing that goes on your supplemental list is prelim programs. You cannot (and should not) put neuro programs there. If you're trying to do that, you misunderstand how the match works, and I'm worried that your main list is incorrect.

You are not limited to 2 supplemental lists. I think you can have as many as you want (although there's no value to having more than the number of programs on your main list). Each main list rank can be linked to a single supplemental.

Why don't you tell us how you set up your main and supplemental lists? Better to be sure you've got it right before the deadline this week! You don't have to name programs, use aliases, etc.

Thanks for your reply! I think I figured it out (part of it is just my lifelong struggle with tech, but I digress!). I'll clarify how I set up my rank list:

The primary list was just neuro programs. Some are categorical, some are advanced. For the advanced ones, I chose one of several supplemental lists. A subset of the advanced programs have corresponding "med-prelim/neuro" programs that are preliminary year programs with spots designated for neurology applicants to the sister advanced program at their institution. For each program in this subset, the supplemental list just had its single corresponding med-prelim/neuro spot (Ex: Program A Advanced Neuro had a supplemental list with just Program A Med-prelim/neuro). For advanced programs that did not have a med-prelim/neuro spot at their institution, my corresponding supplemental list had all the "regular" separate prelim programs listed.

That is correct, as long as the number of med-prelim/neuro spots is equal to the number of neuro spots. If there are less prelims than Neuro spots, then you need to rank other prelims below the linked prelim. 1 hour and counting, so hopefully you see this, will tag you to increase likelihood @neurogeek105

That is correct, as long as the number of med-prelim/neuro spots is equal to the number of neuro spots. If there are less prelims than Neuro spots, then you need to rank other prelims below the linked prelim. 1 hour and counting, so hopefully you see this, will tag you to increase likelihood @neurogeek105

I just saw this now. My understanding is that for those programs with the med-prelim/neuro positions, matching in the advanced program guarantees a match in the prelim program. For those, I just ranked the single med-prelim/neuro program in the supplemental list. For the others with no med-prelim/neuro position, I ranked multiple prelim programs in the supplemental list.

*sighs* Here's to hoping it plays out okay! Thanks so much for your insight, I really appreciate it!