trouble getting into pt school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asumayne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to physical therapy school for the last 2 years. the main issue is my grades. i have retaken classes and it doesn't seem to be helping. I will continue to do this, but is there anything else I can do besides that and getting more experience in other settings? Are there certain schools that are easier to get into if your grades don't match up with other students? What are some other things you all with the same problem have done to better your application? I have thought about PTA school. They have a one year online program where you go in on the weekends and do the hands on learning. I was going to apply to this program and apply a third time to the PT programs. I would find out if I was accepted or not just before PTA classes start. Is this a good idea? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a good idea. What is your science and cumulative gpa? Even if you are getting better grades you still may be below average. I would continue improving in classes and getting experience. Also, make sure your GRE scores are solid and that your essay and recommendation letters are well thought out. Good luck!

thanks for the advice. i'd rather not say my gpa. it is not horrible but it is not where most people applying are at. those things sound like good ideas. i have thought about taking the gre again. i did pretty well but i think i can do better on a second try. do you think personalized letters from clinic owners might be a good option instead of just the standard letters of rec forms most schools require?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice. i'd rather not say my gpa. it is not horrible but it is not where most people applying are at. those things sound like good ideas. i have thought about taking the gre again. i did pretty well but i think i can do better on a second try. do you think personalized letters from clinic owners might be a good option instead of just the standard letters of rec forms most schools require?

Actually, what the PT that did my rec letters did was fill out the forms from the university and in the comments she wrote see attached letter, and she included then a personalized letter, and apparently it was ok.

Oooh, your post worries me. I also have a crap GPA, and I plan to retake courses this Fall. I've been out of school since December 2007.

I just started corresponding with an advisor at St. Aug about improving my chances. She recommended retaking my courses as well.