Tricks for Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalico

TV doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Starting my first month of peds on Monday and just wondering if you guys have any tried and true routines that you use when dealing with the little ones (things to calm them, distractions, songs, stories you tell, etc.) to help aide the whole H&P/Physical Exam process.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Some things I do/use: stickers, a little container of bubble solution (bubbles are guaranteed to make any kid stop crying...great idea stolen from a nurse), a small stuffed animal to check EOM, while listening to BS try to guess what they had for breakfast/lunch, for any infant do the exam while the baby sits/lays in mom's lap, and if your attending doesn't mind try not to wear your white coat. Good luck! :D

I like searching for animals while examing ears. Tell them that if they are really still maybe you can find a kitty inside (and then make small "meow" sounds while looking.) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
utmd said:
I like searching for animals while examing ears. Tell them that if they are really still maybe you can find a kitty inside (and then make small "meow" sounds while looking.) :)

The animals thing kinda creeps me out. I just say that I'm taking a look at their brain and then comment on how smart they are.

something that worked a lot for me was to carry a small plastic toy car around. (big enough to hold, not small enough to choke on)
i would ask the kids to hold my "very important car" for me while I was examining them. usually it wasn't a struggle to get it back. make sure to alcohol gel the car up after each use :)

I'm a pre-med student, but I worked under some dentists on a CMDA mission trip. I found that wearing the scrubs with smiley faces or happy designs on them made the kids more receptive. As a doctor you may have a more strict dress code, but you could probably still sneak on one of those temporary tatoos of a shark or Bob the Builder. It's lots of fun, and a great conversation starter.