Travel expenses for first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigTumor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are people getting these covered? I’ve been on 3 interviews where flight and hotel was covered, now being asked to cover my own airfare. Just want to know what is typical. This is OBGYN.

Members don't see this ad.

Are people getting these covered? I’ve been on 3 interviews where flight and hotel was covered, now being asked to cover my own airfare. Just want to know what is typical. This is OBGYN.
if they are asking for you to come out, they should cover everything...lots of places will even cover for you to come out if you want to see the area, look for real estate, etc. i would say that it's a bit odd to ask you to pay for anything.

Reactions: 1 users
All of my interviews paid for airfare, hotel, rental car...they usually also do a dinner beforehand. Mine even flew my husband out with me. It was weird...basically the first time in this whole process I actually felt desired which I think is how they want you to feel. If all of them but one paid it would probably put a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth and I would wonder if they actually really wanted me there or were just going through the motions. Also ObGyn.

All of my interviews paid for airfare, hotel, rental car...they usually also do a dinner beforehand. Mine even flew my husband out with me. It was weird...basically the first time in this whole process I actually felt desired which I think is how they want you to feel. If all of them but one paid it would probably put a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth and I would wonder if they actually really wanted me there or were just going through the motions. Also ObGyn.
Thanks for your reply. That is what my previous experience had been, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t being a brat.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say this is extremely variable among different locales/jobs/specialties. It also depends how competitive the job is. My PP group has never paid for anyone to come interview. We have people lined up in the event we have an opening, and people rarely even ask about covering expenses. I also work at a rural hospital. When that hospital recruits for their employed specialties, they pay for multiple visits for applicants and spouses.

Reactions: 1 users
Also variable for me when I recently interviewed. One job paid for everything, put me up in a hotel. One paid for nothing, I stayed with my cousin. Both were academic affiliated jobs. So I think it just depends.

It is variable. Depends on location, practice, etc. Same thing with residency. Some residency interviews treated you like a visiting prince, others worse than if you had Ebola.

On my first interview, the boss had to pick me up from a park because my car broke down :-(

This is a practice that may be changeing due to resent tax code developments. Prior to last year your interview expenses were tax deductible and came "right of the top" when you did your taxes. Last year that all changed with the "standard deduction rules". Most of us how have a hard time making those travel and hotel expenses deductible. As a result some of the forward thinking programs are now picking up that cost.

Most places should cover your flight, hotel, and car rental

However, when I interviewed at several places and checked into the hotel, turn out the credit card was not on record, and I ended up needing to pay for the fancy hotels. make sure you call the hotel the night before to ensure they have the business card on files.