"Trap door" academic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mudshadow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that many cardiology fellowship programs will accept internal candidates only if they agree to spend 3 years working as an academic physician post-fellowship. Is this a terrible idea? $$$? Can anyone who encountered this situation comment on how they handled it?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure I have ever heard of anyone blatantly telling an internal applicant they had to do this. However, the ABIM research pathway is a little like this...you get a guaranteed spot in exchange for being a cardiology fellow longer. I think some cards programs would definitely be more likely to accept you if they thought you were future faculty material vs. likely to go in to private practice, but I don't know that they will overtly say this to you (or promise you a spot for saying you'll do it). I don't think they could write a fellowship contract so that it included 3 faculty years tacked on the end, either...but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I've never heard of anything like this. The program at my IM institution certainly didn't suggest anything of the sort to me when I applied.