transport service or EMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keberson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a 911 truck and a transport truck.
Does a job with a transport service:
1)suck?
2) is boring
3) worse pay?
4) do they do 24 hours shifts or daily shifts?

help!

Members don't see this ad.

Transport service means non-emergency transports - mostly elderly patients to and from hospitals, nursing homes, and doctor's offices. Not very exciting usually. If you like chatting with old people, like medically stable patients, and don't like emergency crazy stuff you will probably like doing transports.

Some people consider it boring, others like the respite from the crazy 911 stuff.

Pay level and length of shift would depend on the individual company.

I work for my hometown volunteer EMS and a separate private service that is out of town.

The private service gets most of its mileage from the interfacility (boring) transports, but does cover it's hometown's emergency needs, as well as some outlying areas served by First Responder units.

Yes, 911 EMS action is usually more exciting. But, if you want to learn more about medicine, interfacility transport can also be very interesting, because you'll run into things that you might never see in EMS. Also, I've found that these types of transports are great ways to work on your patient contact skills. Occasionally transports will be a bit more exciting, for example when a helicopter isn't available for an emergency transport, and you end up taking a patient from one hospital to another one 50 miles away with your lights and siren on. But that's usually just more exciting for the driver, and even then it gets old after about 10 minutes.

If you're paid by the assignment, a private service might be better for pay...personally I get $20 per patient, plus 50 cents a mile for the transport. The same goes for any emergency calls I respond to...these usually take about 60 minutes at most, so you're looking at something that boils down to about 20 bucks an hour...for a transport that takes 4 hours, you might make more money, but from a per hour perspective it isn't so great...you might be out of service for 4 hours but only make 50 bucks.

My vote is for a busy 911 service if you like adrenaline and trauma ;)