Transport Companies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dropdeded

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Post :)

Just recently started my new career in EMS. Been working now for a month and a half for a local transport company doing a lot of LDT's. Just kinda curious if many other EMT/Paramedics started with a transport company? It is definately my intention to go far in the EMS field and I was just kinda wondering if Im in a huge minority starting this way being as a lot of my co-workers are coming FROM 911 experience.

Ed

Members don't see this ad.

I started off on a BLS unit for a private 911 provider. After several months of that, I went on an ALS ambulance (as an intermediate EMT) for a hospital-based system. Stayed with them for many years, eventually working for them as a paramedic.

Personally I started out at a volly 911, (couldn't handle the gomer-shucking) but I do know a lot of people that started out in transport. It was either "the nursing home" transport ambulance or the private ambulance that started off new EMT's with transfers and then "promoted" them to 911. Either way you'll get experience dealing with patients... some of the ICU transfers can be more interesting than the 911 calls... (90% BS anyways...)

I started for a transport 911 service and after getting a year of experience switched to another private company does mainly 911 service for several towns. A lot of times its hard to get on a 911 truck without beginning somewhere so I think you will definately not have a problem moving up in the field and transport is a good way to start getting comfortable with patients and your skills.