Just got EMT cert but I don't want to work transport, what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l1vefrom215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just graduated from a competitive university, managed a decent GPA, and received a 34 on my MCATs. Instead of applying right before the end of application deadlines, I decided to wait until the spring to better my chances as well as give me more time to narrow my medical school search and build my application.

I just finished an EMT program and got my EMT-B certification. During the course, I was assured by my instructors that there were other jobs that EMT-B could be eligible for besides transport. However, after making calls to all the local area hospitals none seem to have any positions open for EMTs. They all seem to require a paramedic license.

I would really love to work in a hospital (preferably an ER) to get some hands on experience in patient care. Is there any route that I am not exploring here? Do any of you have any job ideas for me?

I've thought about volunteering in an ER which I've been told is possible by friends who are in med school. Is it? Would this look good on my application?

I would also love to work in 911 but I live in philadelphia and EMS is provided by the fire department only. I guess I could go outside of the city and attempt to volunteer/get hired at a local EMS service.

Obviously I want to do something that will enhance my application but also be a valuable experience for me. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Working in the ED really depends on the state, so you might think about moving if it's something that you really want to do. In colorado a lot of the EDs have techs who are EMT-B who do most of the lines, ECGs, etc. (You have to take a class that's like 24 hours to be able to do IVs) I was in a similar situation to you, wanted to take a year off before applying. I got lucky and found a company in CO where I only had to do BLS transfers for 2mo before I got moved to 911. But I also saw people who were stuck on BLS for 6-9mo. Good luck, and keep looking. I spent a lot of time looking at job sites on the web, calling EDs, calling fire departments. The jobs are out there but if you want to work 911 or as a tech you might have to move.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal.

Some of my best initial learning experiences came on a transport car. You have the opportunity to work independently, read through medical paperwork and practice history and physical exams on patients and in general get your feet wet. Really, the experience is what you make of it.

As the post before mine points out, it really depends on what state you are in and most of the time a transport car ends up being a temporary assignment. If you are seriously considering attending medical school, you will simply have to learn to deal with situations that you don't like. That is really part of the game.

You also have a good idea with volunteering in a hospital setting. But do so for the right reasons. Our hospital volunteers are often made to stock supplies and never actually contact any patients. Perhaps shadowing a physician is a better idea. You will need the MD or DO letter for you application next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come out to the county and find a service you would like to volly for. A good lot of the BLS jobs are in transport but if you are comitted to medical school then maybe a night or two in a volly aspect would be best for you. Feel free to PM or email me if you want some more info on services in the counties.

[email protected]

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal.

Some of my best initial learning experiences came on a transport car. You have the opportunity to work independently, read through medical paperwork and practice history and physical exams on patients and in general get your feet wet. Really, the experience is what you make of it.

As the post before mine points out, it really depends on what state you are in and most of the time a transport car ends up being a temporary assignment. If you are seriously considering attending medical school, you will simply have to learn to deal with situations that you don't like. That is really part of the game.
While I agree sometimes you have to deal with a bad situation, I think the question is what is the best use of the OP's time. Working transport for a year might be a good investment if you are planning a lifetime in EMS, but if you only have a year or two before med school, spending a year or more doing transports might not be the best investments. And yeah, I learned somethings on transport and got good working with the elderly, but a month or two was more than enough to develop those skills. I'm not sure how much more you are getting six month later.

While I agree sometimes you have to deal with a bad situation, I think the question is what is the best use of the OP's time. Working transport for a year might be a good investment if you are planning a lifetime in EMS, but if you only have a year or two before med school, spending a year or more doing transports might not be the best investments. And yeah, I learned somethings on transport and got good working with the elderly, but a month or two was more than enough to develop those skills. I'm not sure how much more you are getting six month later.

Given the OP statements/questions its sounds like he has sort of been pigeon holed into a transport job. If he/she is saying that the desired position isn't available (hospital gig) then to me, experience is experience. You have to get your foot in somewhere, or at least that was my experience, and work you way up.
The key in my experience has been persistence. Which is a trait that all of us pre-meds and EMS people seem to develop along the way. If you want a job caring for patients and getting hospital experience, then search until you find that position. Phlebotomy is often a great way to get your foot inside the hosptial, and still work on developing some of your skills.

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

I am definitely serious in applying to medical school. I'm starting to realize that I just need to start working somewhere and get some experience. I think I will do transport for a couple of months or until I find a better job. I think I will volunteer at an EMS provider in the counties just to get some experience (and hopefully a job).

Would it be possible to volunteer in an ED and eventually be hired as a tech or something like that?

Also, what is phlembotomy?

Thanks again for all the advice.

It is the study of phlem.

Also referred to as snot, boogers, egg yolks and may be witnessed during the aftermath of a "farmer's blow".

seriously, its a tech postion within a hospital. The primary function is walking around the hospital and draw blood as needed.

its a cool gig, but a hard job to land.

Yourmother -
Just out of curiosity, are you still in the army? I just noticed your little descriptor which said 91b. I had to transfer over to 91W even though I was getting out, and that was a few years ago. Or is your primary MOS grunt and you just haven't gone through the transition for 91W yet?

Thanks for all the comments and advice.

I am definitely serious in applying to medical school. I'm starting to realize that I just need to start working somewhere and get some experience. I think I will do transport for a couple of months or until I find a better job. I think I will volunteer at an EMS provider in the counties just to get some experience (and hopefully a job).

Would it be possible to volunteer in an ED and eventually be hired as a tech or something like that?

You may be able to volunteer in an ED and work your way in from there. It just depends on how it works in your part of the country.

When do you plan on applying to medical school? DO or MD or both?

You could also look into an orderly position. Again, depending on how it works where you are at, orderlies are certified as EMTB or CNA. They basically push patients around the hopsital. It's a start at least.

After many applications to different hospitals, it seems like that route is a bust . . . No one wants to hire a kid with an EMT-B that has no experience. . .

I have also tried to volunteer at some local area hospitals and it seems like no one wants to get back to me. . .

I'm currently looking for a transport job and will hopefully land one soon (shouldn't be too hard right?) Does anyone know if AMR will take me? Hopefully I can do this for a couple of months to get some experience and then move on.

@ paramedic lizard: I plan to apply to allopathic schools for fall 2009. . . 3.35 GPA, 34R MCAT

I'm also planning on applying to an MPH program for fall 2008. . . Hopefully I'll get in, rock my classes, and boost my low undergrad GPA.

After many applications to different hospitals, it seems like that route is a bust . . . No one wants to hire a kid with an EMT-B that has no experience. . .

I have also tried to volunteer at some local area hospitals and it seems like no one wants to get back to me. . .

I'm currently looking for a transport job and will hopefully land one soon (shouldn't be too hard right?) Does anyone know if AMR will take me? Hopefully I can do this for a couple of months to get some experience and then move on.

@ paramedic lizard: I plan to apply to allopathic schools for fall 2009. . . 3.35 GPA, 34R MCAT

I'm also planning on applying to an MPH program for fall 2008. . . Hopefully I'll get in, rock my classes, and boost my low undergrad GPA.

It's quite possible AMR will take you; they seem like they're fickle though so it probably depends on the AMR in your county since each county is basically a separate company almost. You should be able to ask your instructors (maybe shoot them an email if you still have theirs) to see what other ambulance companies are in your area. I'm sorry you weren't able to find the job you wanted, but more often than not, most of us have to start out doing transport so it's kind of a given. Try to get on with a transport company that does BLS runs from SNFs to ERs as well as interfacility...if you can find one that does that, you'll still get some decent calls once in awhile.