Translational or Clinical Research ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipoftheiceberg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm an IMG and I'm preparing for IM residency in USA and hopefully a cardiology fellowship afterwards.

I have an opportunity to do a basic science research fellowship at Johns Hopkins for a year and a half before my match season. It's in cardiology and it's pretty translational. My main concern is whether or not I should be doing clinical research during that period to help me with the residency match.

From what I understood from a lot of applicants and some program directors that this fellowship will not help me much during the residency much, however, it will be very helpful if I apply for a cardiology fellowship later.

I just want to hear some of your opinions about the matter and whether or not i'm seeing things the right way. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the research fellowship. I can tell you first hand as a mentor to an applicant much like yourself, if your PI can write you a strong letter for IM residency when ERAS comes around, it makes a big difference. You have to shine during your research fellowship though!