Transitional Year to PGY-2 Categorical Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddc123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have secured a transitional year (TY) for the upcoming academic year. I did not match into an advanced PGY-2 program. I am weighing my options. Does anyone know or could anyone provide a link discussing the ACGME's rules regarding applying directly to a categorical IM PGY-2 position after completion of a TY (assuming open spots). I would be able to structure my TY schedule identically to the preliminary or categorical IM program at my school, the only difference is the name of the program I am in (transitional year).

I have searched through all the forums and have not found a definitive answer to this.

Thank you all for your help, and I hope everyone is doing well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have secured a transitional year (TY) for the upcoming academic year. I did not match into an advanced PGY-2 program. I am weighing my options. Does anyone know or could anyone provide a link discussing the ACGME's rules regarding applying directly to a categorical IM PGY-2 position after completion of a TY (assuming open spots). I would be able to structure my TY schedule identically to the preliminary or categorical IM program at my school, the only difference is the name of the program I am in (transitional year).

I have searched through all the forums and have not found a definitive answer to this.
Thank you all for your help, and I hope everyone is doing well..

You might have the rotations but what about the IM clinic?

Hi all,

Thank you all for your help, and I hope everyone is doing well..
Start by asking the IM PD at your program.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no "applying" to open PGY-2 slots--these generally become open unexpectedly, are not posted anywhere, and you generally find them by word of mouth. Thus, you're going to need to chat with the IM program director at your institution regardless to find out 1) how much of the TY year could be applied to credit for an IM residency, 2) if they know of any available PGY-2 slots, and also 3) because in reality that is probably the most likely program for you to land in if you can impress people. You should similarly check with your institution's radiology, PM&R, etc programs that might accept you into an advanced position based on your TY (if they happen to have spots).

You should, regardless, apply to PGY-1 positions through ERAS. I suspect your most likely path to a categorical position lies in impressing people in your TY, getting good letters, and matching next year to a new program starting at PGY-1.

Reactions: 1 user