Transitional Year Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spoogy98

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about pursuing Radiiology and doing a PGy-1 transitional year.

It seems like there aren't that many hospitals with transitional year programs.
How hard is it to get one? I'm sure the applicant pool is much smaller for transitional years.

I already know the PGy-2 radiology spot will be very difficult to attain. Just trying to see if the transitional year spot will also be tough.

I'm also thinking about the different scenarios that could play out. What if I do get a transitional year spot, but not a radiology pgy-2 spot. where can I go from there? Would it be better to do a medicine pgy-1 year ? I can simply continue with medicine should radiologt not work out.

Any feedback or opinions on the transitional year would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know how hard it is to match into a transitional year compared to radiology, but it's a lot harder than the general populace may believe. prelim medicine was somewhat easier to match into in the past but it's becoming more and more competitive as well.

the reason why transitional/prelim spots are so darn competitive is because you have everyone applying to advanced programs also applying to the transitional/prelims. this means rads, derm, ophtho, anesthesia, even some ER... and PM&R and neuro for the prelim medicine spots (i'm not sure if they can do transitional or not).

when doing your rank list, you attach a supplemental rank list to each advanced (pgy2) program that you rank. if, after ranking all of your radiology programs, you want more backup, you can rank prelim/transitional programs separately as well. or at least that's how i think it works.