Transition year, licensure issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swing

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose one wasn't sure where they wanted to end up, and opted for doing a Transition Year while trying to decide.

Would you be able to sit for Step III and get licensed after completing your Transition Year even though you aren't in a Board-certification residency program?

What would such a person then do, residency or work as a Locum Tenens?
Would ANY job opportunities be open to such a person (maybe staff physician at NewDay Weight Management - just kidding, I couldn't think of anything else, but I would like to know how this would work).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you would be able to sit for step 3 and get a license. you may be able to find a job, but not likely doing what you want , where you want, making what you want.
do a residency.

It also depends on two things: if you are an FMG or US grad, and which state you are in.

I think most states grant licenses to US grads after one year. However, a number of states require more than one year, especially if you are an FMG. Check with the licensing board in the state you want to practice in. State Boards will give you a link to your state board.