Transferring to another medical school

allioop5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. I recently started medical school in Texas. My boyfriend is in Colorado still finishing school. The long distance is VERY hard and we desperately cannot wait to be back together again. When he graduates he wants to attend grad school and there is not one in Houston Texas that has the program he needs. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on transferring to another school (especially out of state). I would like to transfer to a school in the town to which he attends grad school. We want to get married and it would be impossible to have a marriage if we are not living together. Is it really difficult to be accepted as a transfer? We both want to follow our career dreams and still be able to fulfill our dream of being husband and wife and since there is not a school he can attend in Houston, our only option is for me to transfer to where he will be. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

allioop5 said:
I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. I recently started medical school in Texas. My boyfriend is in Colorado still finishing school. The long distance is VERY hard and we desperately cannot wait to be back together again. When he graduates he wants to attend grad school and there is not one in Houston Texas that has the program he needs. I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on transferring to another school (especially out of state). I would like to transfer to a school in the town to which he attends grad school. We want to get married and it would be impossible to have a marriage if we are not living together. Is it really difficult to be accepted as a transfer? We both want to follow our career dreams and still be able to fulfill our dream of being husband and wife and since there is not a school he can attend in Houston, our only option is for me to transfer to where he will be. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I know someone who married during her first year and transfered from a Texas med school to one in Nevada. It can be done, but only under VERY extreme circumstances... I also know several couples (including one grad student / med student) who are JUST NOW living together after being married for 2yrs. She was about 12hrs away in med school while he was in grad school (with me). Sometimes, you just have to suck it up.

GeneGoddess said:
I know someone who married during her first year and transfered from a Texas med school to one in Nevada. It can be done, but only under VERY extreme circumstances... I also know several couples (including one grad student / med student) who are JUST NOW living together after being married for 2yrs. She was about 12hrs away in med school while he was in grad school (with me). Sometimes, you just have to suck it up.

One the other side, I have been looking to transfer too, for the same reasons- but also because I want to go to a good MBA program as well. For some schools, it's only under "special circumstances", for some, it can be purely merit based- and for some- both. I would call every school you want to transfer to and ask them details. It's definitely possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of medical schools that have been particularly open to accepting transfers?

Thank you.