Transferring to a podiatry school in the West Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been thinking about transferring to a West Coast program for some time now. Let's just say I didn't make the best decision as an incoming freshman and I really don't like my current program (which is based on the East coast). They have been nothing but awful to our class and I really don't want to give them my money as they continue not valuing our time/efforts. I see myself practicing in CA and was wondering if transferring to a CA pod school would make things easier for my goal? I have finished my first two years at my current program and I am unsure if I have to take boards first or not to transfer? Also, if anyone from the CA schools could shed some light on the 3rd/4th-year curriculum, that would be great. I would just rather spend my hard-earned money on a school that is decent enough to actually care/show some respect to their students.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I have been thinking about transferring to a West Coast program for some time now. Let's just say I didn't make the best decision as an incoming freshman and I really don't like my current program (which is based on the East coast). They have been nothing but awful to our class and I really don't want to give them my money as they continue not valuing our time/efforts. I see myself practicing in CA and was wondering if transferring to a CA pod school would make things easier for my goal? I have finished my first two years at my current program and I am unsure if I have to take boards first or not to transfer? Also, if anyone from the CA schools could shed some light on the 3rd/4th-year curriculum, that would be great. I would just rather spend my hard-earned money on a school that is decent enough to actually care/show some respect to their students.

Thank you!
If you've finished your first 2 years, all that's left is to do rotations which is coming soon. Why not just complete the remainder and start rotating and be done with the school aspect of things? If you transfer, there is no guarantee you may start where you left off and you'll only pay even more money. It's not worth it 2 years in I feel. Maybe someone else who has knowledge on the subject can chime in, but that's my opinion - hang in there, you're almost rotating.

Reactions: 2 users
Will say the same thing as above poster. If you are done with 2 years, the last 2 years are not really school-related, especially 4th year where u won't see your school at all. I don't see a reason to transfer at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree and say I would just stick it out. The last two years you really are not that involved with the school. Especially 4th year; I haven’t been to my school for 16 months.

Reactions: 1 users
Finish your current program.

Pick all West Coast programs for clerking.

You'd still save money that way compared to moving.

No guarantee they'd just let you start as a 3rd year even if you switch.

Reactions: 1 users
No guarantee they'd just let you start as a 3rd year even if you switch.
Even if I take part 1 boards? Because that would indicate that I have sufficient knowledge in the first two years of preclinical right?

Even if I take part 1 boards? Because that would indicate that I have sufficient knowledge in the first two years of preclinical right?

As I see it, the issue here is that yeah, we get the same DPM degree, but the curriculum differs among the 9 colleges.
That said, there is no guarantee they will place you in the 3rd year even after you pass part 1. I believe one of the Cali programs starts rotations in their 2nd year.

I would also advise against the transfer due to the reason above and also because some program directors may not like the transfer (if you can get one that is), so it might create a problem in terms of residency placement.

But, after all this, if you are still interested, I would suggest sending a copy of your most recent transcript to your program of interest and asking the admissions director about your chances. All the best!

Reactions: 1 user
What dexter said. Credit wise it'd be a nightmare to figure out.

Why should another school take you when they have their own students to fit into clinical rotations?
With their own groups already decided and schedules for the entire year already made?
Paperwork for you to work under the many different hospital systems on the West Coast? Coming this late in the game?

No professors to vouch for you because they don't know you? And the fact that you're coming from another school and just now wanting to transfer- who will vouch for you to go to another school?

Why should they even take you? Why should there be legitimate reason to go through all that trouble to cater your request?

I am not saying this to be mean. You need to think of these questions critically to give you perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
currently a west coast school — its not much better out here than you think (other than weather)
quite a few students who wish they were in an east coast school. Just make the best of what you got and you can always do a residency out here in the future!!

Reactions: 2 users
currently a west coast school — its not much better out here than you think (other than weather)
quite a few students who wish they were in an east coast school. Just make the best of what you got and you can always do a residency out here in the future!!
The grass is not as green here, in fact with the Texas school eventually opening up our grass may spontaneously burst into flames. I am also unhappy with my school. I thought about transferring as well, and I know a lot of my classmates have buyer's remorse. For whatever reason I feel like some of the podiatrists (and MD's) we have as teachers teach because they're incompetent in clinic. Had an in person rotation for a one day ultrasound clinic and our faculty forgot the ultrasound. if that doesn't scream tfp i don't know what does.

Something you could try is reaching out to your upperclassmen! If i'm being honest here I've learned more from them about podiatry, clinic, etc than I have from some of my professors. Just keep working hard and to echo what everyone else has said just do your clerkships out in CA.