Transferring programs or breaking contract before starting - anyone done this in IM??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsoccer7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a situation some of you may have found yourselves in.

I'm in a long distance relationship now, and I plan on being with this person for a long time, if not forever, but she's applying for IM and I'm going for radiology. She had exactly 1 interview in the city I will most likely be going to, and we have no other cities in common (I'm in MI, she's in TX). Is there a way for her to transfer mid-PGY1 or end of PGY-1, or even break her contract before starting? This is causing quite a bit of anxiety for us so I decided to use this wonderful resource. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that she try to transfer. breaking a contract would look very bad; but given the circumstances I suspect her PD would be supportive of a transfer. are you doing the couple's match??

Well, we could, but we only have one city in common, and she only interviewed at one place there, so she's definitely ranking it #1, and my 3 interviews there will be my top 3. We're obviously in a bind if she doesn't match there or vice versa, and it's a competitive city to match in (Chicago) already.

Members don't see this ad :)
What programs are you looking into? Specifically IM for her? Chicago can be tough to break into but contact the program directors, especially the programs that possibly are the same university or hospital and try to get some strings pulled. Soemtimes you have to make it work for you on your own. Don't rely on fate or someone else. Good luck

I would rank via the couples match anyway. You can put your three places with hers in Chicago, but then you can at least try to make the other city pairs as close together as possible (or at least direct flights or other combinations with easier travel). Your list will probably end up being really long with all the combinations but it may be worth it!!

I've heard of people transferring after intern year into other internal med programs; I think it would be pretty hard to transfer mid-year, but I would hold out hope that she'd be able to transfer after a year, especially if her program director where she matches is supportive and will make calls for her.

- Fellow coupler

Unfortunately, I interviewed at 3 university places there, and she interviewed at a different university place, so we can't even get strings pulled. It sucks.

As for other options, she will probably end up in Dallas if not Chicago, so it's still a direct flight, but would be difficult for an entire year, considering she'll be an IM intern.

I appreciate all the responses, makes me feel less stressed.

I actually was in a similar situation in IM residency. I was doing my Internship and got engaged and was planning on getting married later in my second year of residency. I brought this up with my Program Director, and asked if they would be agreeable for me to transfer and explained my situation. The program director was very supportive due to the fact that I had a good reason and I transferred after internship.

But if she already knows of these issues before matching and then transferres later, that may be an issue. Also, it makes applying to fellowships more difficult becuase you usually apply in the second year.

I would recommend applying to neighboring cities as a second option to being in the same city. Transferring can be done but it is rough moving in the middle of residency and getting used to a new place.

samsoccer7 said:
I'm in a situation some of you may have found yourselves in.

I'm in a long distance relationship now, and I plan on being with this person for a long time, if not forever, but she's applying for IM and I'm going for radiology. She had exactly 1 interview in the city I will most likely be going to, and we have no other cities in common (I'm in MI, she's in TX). Is there a way for her to transfer mid-PGY1 or end of PGY-1, or even break her contract before starting? This is causing quite a bit of anxiety for us so I decided to use this wonderful resource. Thanks.