PGY1 in FM looking to transfer to IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregstant

Reaction score
Hi all,
Long story short I ama new PGY1 in FM. I am also a US-IMG (non Carib). I applied FM and matched because it’s all I really had the opportunity to apply for based on the clinical experience I received. After starting with my inpatient block I’ve realized that I truly enjoy IM and adult hospital medicine, and I don’t feel the same way about clinic.
If anyone has any advice on how I can go about trying to get into an IM program that would be greatly appreciated. Cold emailing programs? Re-entering the match?
If I choose to try to get into ann IM program can I still keep my spot in my current FM program just in case? Any advice helps.

P.s. I will be taking Step 3 this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with @CCM-MD. Finishing out FM and becoming a hospitalist from that route is going to be way easier than "transferring", which really just means applying for the Match again this year.

Stick with what you've got. Do as much inpatient/ICU/ED time as possible and just get a job in 3 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with @CCM-MD. Finishing out FM and becoming a hospitalist from that route is going to be way easier than "transferring", which really just means applying for the Match again this year.

Stick with what you've got. Do as much inpatient/ICU/ED time as possible and just get a job in 3 years.
My concern is that I really enjoy the IM subspecialties like CCM and Cardio. I also would prefer to live in a larger metro city due to family and partner being there, and my understanding is that it’s easier to get a job in large cities as an IM grad as opposed to an FM.

My concern is that I really enjoy the IM subspecialties like CCM and Cardio. I also would prefer to live in a larger metro city due to family and partner being there, and my understanding is that it’s easier to get a job in large cities as an IM grad as opposed to an FM.

It's still probably easier to get a hospitalist job as an FM grad, even if you're looking in a larger metro area (or the neighboring suburbs) than it is to switch residencies.

FWIW, I'm FM and have had several co-residents end up as hospitalists. They didn't end up in large academic hospitals, although none of them really wanted to work in that kind of environment. They all work within an hour of a large northeastern city.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to decide what you like the most - adult hospital medicine or cardio/CCM. If it's the former, you don't have to switch

Well make up your mind. Do you want to be a hospitalist? Because you can do that from FM almost as easily as from IM. Or do you want to be a cardiologist? In that case you need to start over in IM...note that I didn't say transfer, I said start over. If you weren't competitive for IM last year, you're unlikely to be any more competitive for IM this year. So make up your mind what you want to be when you grow up and then decide how you want to play your cards.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,
Long story short I ama new PGY1 in FM. I am also a US-IMG (non Carib). I applied FM and matched because it’s all I really had the opportunity to apply for based on the clinical experience I received. After starting with my inpatient block I’ve realized that I truly enjoy IM and adult hospital medicine, and I don’t feel the same way about clinic.
If anyone has any advice on how I can go about trying to get into an IM program that would be greatly appreciated. Cold emailing programs? Re-entering the match?
If I choose to try to get into ann IM program can I still keep my spot in my current FM program just in case? Any advice helps.

P.s. I will be taking Step 3 this year.
You are an IMG… Carib or not, they look at you the same… and it is getting harder to match …if you didn’t want FM, then you should have waited the year or 2 to make yourself competitive for IM… the chances of you matching into IM will depend on how competitive you are for IM…many places are going to want a good reason for the switch.would be easier… not easy … if it was another specialty.
You may want to finish FM and then if you are gung ho for cards or ccm , the do IM.

For hospitalist route, you can do it from FM. They have been trying to push new FM graduates into doing a hospitalist fellowship, but I really think an FM residency should be enough to get hired.