Transferring between dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frantic330

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to get an opinion from dental students on their thoughts about transferring from one dental school to another after first year. I'm an incoming D1 that is gonna start in July and the school I was accepted into is about 3 hours away from home. My family read online that transferring across dental schools is offered and they want me to apply for the school in my hometown to attend after I finish D1.

The whole point of this was to get you all's perspective on transferring between dental schools after D1, since you guys have lived through the curriculum. Would it be as rough of a transition as I think it would be?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I just wanted to get an opinion from dental students on their thoughts about transferring from one dental school to another after first year. I'm an incoming D1 that is gonna start in July and the school I was accepted into is about 3 hours away from home. My family read online that transferring across dental schools is offered and they want me to apply for the school in my hometown to attend after I finish D1. I don't think they really understand that switching from one dental school to another is different from when you switch from one high school to another, since each school follows a different route in terms of preclinical work and didactics. Personally, I don't want to switch after my first year either, but they want me to try anyway.

The whole point of this was to get you all's perspective on transferring between dental schools after D1, since you guys have lived through the curriculum. Would it be as rough of a transition as I think it would be?

This is not something that is done. If it has been done there were EXTREME circumstances. Curriculums are different at every dental school and the only way they would let you just transfer would be to start over as a D1 again.

Reactions: 4 users
the curriculums would have to follow similar routes otherwise i dont see this happening

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
00EBC000-1BE1-40D8-B490-388C8EFBF36C.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
You're like what, 21, 22? Assuming your parents had any role in influencing your decision shouldn't they have told you from the start to go to the school in your area? I am sure there is a reason other than a school's prestige that you picked the school 3 hours away rather than the one with your helicopter parents

Hi guys, I just wanted to get an opinion from dental students on their thoughts about transferring from one dental school to another after first year. I'm an incoming D1 that is gonna start in July and the school I was accepted into is about 3 hours away from home. My family read online that transferring across dental schools is offered and they want me to apply for the school in my hometown to attend after I finish D1. I don't think they really understand that switching from one dental school to another is different from when you switch from one high school to another, since each school follows a different route in terms of preclinical work and didactics. Personally, I don't want to switch after my first year either, but they want me to try anyway.

I know of a handful of people that transferred. Some students after their D1 year, and a few students after their D2 year. It is possible, but rare and the reason has to be good. Be prepared to redo a year of dental school and join with the next class if you transfer. And be prepared to be told "no" initially. You will have to fight back and really advocate that a transfer is necessary for your development. Some dental schools share a curriculum so those transfers can be easier. Talk to your dean about it early, and reach out to the school you would like to transfer to and have an honest convo with them. If you are willing to pay, theyll probably accept you, as long as your reason is solid.

There is no transfer. Merely reapplying for a first year postion, so Unless you want to repeat your first year don’t Even think about it. If you think your gonna be able to get course credit and must move on to D2 just get those silly thoughts out of your head right now.

if you want to Go to the other school, then don’t go to dental school this year, and reapply. But even if you were to do that would you even be accepted to the school, and you cant reapply to a school that accepted you before and you turned down.

say you do go to the first school and your gra are just average,
your not in the top ten of your class, why would another school want to even accept you. You can hide behind your college gpa and transcript all you like because schools assume you will do well based off of it.but if you tank your first year grades or not perform exceptionally well, they will Know exactly how you perform in Dental school without guessing.

reapplying Again you will be competing with other candidates who are applying for the first time, and they don’t have An academic track record in dental school and have a blank slate to their advantage.

just stay at the school you got accepted to. At the end of the day none of your patients cared what school you went to. But if Ego is your thing and main concern by all means go to Harvard or Columbia.

Having gone through dental school I wouldn’t even recommend someone going into the profession. Better careers out there for sure.

There was a student in my school who transferred to a diff school in the middle of D2 year. Had to wait 6 months and start D2 all over again at the new school, essentially losing a year... He finished D2 at the new school, and his mother became terminally ill, so he transferred BACK the old school so he could live at home and care for her. He had to wait again for the next class, losing yet another year. In total it took him 6 years to graduate dental school, losing several hundred thousand dollars in potential earnings, and about 150k in tuition and living expenses. His decision cost him around half a million dollars. He is doing fine now, and laughs about the whole thing. The crazy thing is, this individual ended up not really practicing dentistry at all. During those "off years" he heavily involved himself in business ventures and owns a very successful trucking/transportation company and rental properties.

There was a student in my school who transferred to a diff school in the middle of D2 year. Had to wait 6 months and start D2 all over again at the new school, essentially losing a year... He finished D2 at the new school, and his mother became terminally ill, so he transferred BACK the old school so he could live at home and care for her. He had to wait again for the next class, losing yet another year. In total it took him 6 years to graduate dental school, losing several hundred thousand dollars in potential earnings, and about 150k in tuition and living expenses. His decision cost him around half a million dollars. He is doing fine now, and laughs about the whole thing. The crazy thing is, this individual ended up not really practicing dentistry at all. During those "off years" he heavily involved himself in business ventures and owns a very successful trucking/transportation company and rental properties
Hello I private messaged you

Status
Not open for further replies.