Is being the only black person in my dental school class a valid reason to transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pretttydent!st

Reaction score
I am the only African -American student out of 100 students and I feel like it made my journey harder. Not having people to relate with or connect with among my cohort is an isolating experience. Though my classmates are nice I am never included but that's also because everyone just sticks to their culture. I just completed my first semester and I honestly don't want to continue my education here, I would rather go to a more diverse institution. For context, when I accepted my spot I was told that the school is diverse and had more AA students..which is not the case. I know some schools offer the option though it's seldom, but I am willing to try. I just want to know if another school's admissions would see this as a compelling reason.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Sorry to hear. I understand how that can feel.
Usually transferring between dental schools is very rare and a very high bar is set for transferring.
Your best bet to find out your chances would be to contact the Diversity office for the schools you are interested in and ask if this is possible

Reactions: 5 users
I agree that's not a great spot to be in. It is a huge hassle to transfer but you can ask and see if it's possible.

I do see how that could be very isolating

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it could be a compelling reason and worth a shot; however, is there any possibility of making friends with people who have similar interests at your school? Are there clubs at your school that you could join to make friends?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dental school is very toxic. Everyone sticks to their own culture and it's disgusting to say the least. You'd thing they are trying to win a world cup for their ethnicity lol.
If you are an outsider, you will stay this way, hardly anyone will include you.
Try to join clubs and be more involved, try to join groups that planning to help each others with notes and resources.

Along the way you will make friends, but maybe not the 1st year. It will happen, now they are very comfortable with their own groups trying to get these last year notes and recalls lol.
Problems will happen and fake friendships will end. Soon they will realize that being the same race, religion or ethinicty is not the only reason to make friendships.

On the other hand, you should also intiate group hang out, invite people to your appartment to watch football, drink or make a study group, etc etc .. Like you can't just be sad about it and stay in the shadow. Never stay in the shadow!

But screw them, just get your degree and be the awesome dentist you are meant to be.

I have to say something that I had so many sad moments because how people were mean to me and ignoring me despite how nice I am.
I still remember how the first day everyone went to a resturant, but they didn't tell me to come with them.
I was so sad about it. Things changed, and now people don't ignore me as much and try to include me, I am still not their best firend, nor I even try to be as I have my own best friends. But all I am saying it will never stay this bad, it's first semester and things bound to change and you'll find your people.
Trust me there are at least 10 people who feels this way in your year, you just need to find them and be all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
unfortunately many dental school cultures can be this way.

I agree if you stay an outsider you will stay that way the whole school time.

initiating things will make it a lot easier to have friends and joining sports, clubs etc

Reactions: 1 users
Along the way you will make friends, but maybe not the 1st year.

This, I am surprised at how many more of my classmates I have become closer with as a D2. I say just try to keep a positive mindset OP and focus on your studies. These friendships may or may not last beyond school, but that degree will help you forever. It absolutely sucks to be isolated in dental school, but I think being in dental school beats everything.

Think of dental school as a job.

Would you quit a good job because you were the only black person in the work place?

(If you quit or transfer "they" win!)

OP: How is your SNDA chapter? Connect with others through national SNDA. The "OG's" in NDA remember being the only Black student in their classes, so you have a lot of people you can find to support you.

I am the only African -American student out of 100 students and I feel like it made my journey harder. Not having people to relate with or connect with among my cohort is an isolating experience. Though my classmates are nice I am never included but that's also because everyone just sticks to their culture. I just completed my first semester and I honestly don't want to continue my education here, I would rather go to a more diverse institution. For context, when I accepted my spot I was told that the school is diverse and had more AA students..which is not the case. I know some schools offer the option though it's seldom, but I am willing to try. I just want to know if another school's admissions would see this as a compelling reason.
What do you mean they don't include you? What cultural aspects are you looking for? Some (if not most) people like being exposed to new things so even if you are isolated, I'd assume people would want to meet and befriend you. Curious on how your experience is going. Sounds negative so I'm sorry about that-can't make dental school any easier.

I was the only AA in my class of 116 students back in 2006. I didn’t realize it until after the first month! A good friend and classmate from Idaho pointed that out to me. lol I thought it was cool and made me feel kind of unique. I used it to my advantage.

It’s all about your mindset and your personality. I went to BU, Boston is a very high multi cultural city. When I went to school and sit in a class with my classmates, I was the only AA. But as soon as we got outside the building, I think something like 40% of people walking in the streets were black because the area the school was located in and patients coming to the dental school. I felt like an ambassador for the community. lol

I really had good vibe with the Vietnamese students in my class, the Mormons, the middle easterners, etc. The Persian and Indians not so much, most were from California and came across as elitists, specially the females. Maybe it’s a California thing! But hey, 4 years will fly very fast… every day you go to d school, is 1 less day you are in it. Get that diploma, and focus on having a great and happy career & life!

I came back from the World Cup in Qatar couple of weeks ago. The world definitely feels small in dental school, but it’s way way bigger afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
No, that's not a good reason. There's racial stratification/sorting in all aspects of life in the US....geographic, social, educational/professional. This will not be the last time that you will find yourself in this situation. Focus on doing your best in DS and trying to make friends.

Reactions: 7 users
Do you go to a private school or a public school? If you go to a cheaper school, I would never transfer even though you are the only AA student in your class.

I would see what the options are for transferring-its not very easy and simple since each school requirements are different, like you don't want to have to redo a year or start over. But it depends if you think its worth your peace and time

I know how it feels, as I’m also a minority. In my case my school is more diverse and so I’ve been able to connect and form friendships with people with my same cultural background, as well as with people from other minority groups. Even then, I remember D1 year I kinda felt not included with the large majority and in big events, get togethers, etc. All I can say is, it gets better. D1 year is like high school. A lot of drama, going out, friendships forming, people finding their group, a lot of competition, gossip, gunners, etc. As the years go by, most of that fades away. I think it’s because our energies fade away too lol so we focus on more important things like graduating on time and collaborate more. Anyway, in your position, I would try to focus on doing well academically and the rest will fall in its place. Like others have said, most likely there are other people in your class that feel like you. Try to put yourself out there more, and give it some time.