transfer or re-match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennylee258

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there is one very good program that i really like a lot, but for personal reason it may not be a good idea to stay in that location. I wonder which one is easier practically speaking:

1. Just match into preliminary year and look for advanced CA-1 position next year

or

2. Match into this very good program (if I can) and then swith to a program in the geographic location that I need to be during or after preliminary year.

Any comments or ideas? please help.

Jenny

Members don't see this ad.

why can't u just apply to programs in a location that you want?

To match into a categorical position that you have already planned to leave before ever even starting is selfish and unfair to the program, your fellow residents, and those students who really wanted to go to that program. So my advice is to go to a program in a location that will allow you to complete that residency. Quite simple when you think about it.

Although residency is a "job". It is a completely different creature in terms of quitting, transferring, etc.

I would NOT advocate to only match prelim. With the competitiveness of Gas now, you can not count on matching into Gas when you are not a senior...
The number of slots is very few, competition fierce and you will not be choosing where to do it

To match into a categorical position that you have already planned to leave before ever even starting is selfish and unfair to the program, your fellow residents, and those students who really wanted to go to that program. So my advice is to go to a program in a location that will allow you to complete that residency. Quite simple when you think about it.