Transfer as a 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATORANALYST

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question on the difficulty of transferring as a 4th year. I've heard from friends that it is actually quite easy to transfer especially if your not looking for a top program-actually interested in Florida. Anyone out there know if in fact it is a difficult process and how do I go about applying and looking for available positions? Is there a website specific for 4th year, do you apply via ERAS, do I just call the programs directly?

I've heard one of the reasons that 4th year spots are available is due to a large portion of the 3rd year classes going into child-is there really a void that needs to be filled?

Anyhow, I appreciate any feedback-Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

Couldn't help you here (hey is the lake effect weather getting to you?)

However just from seeing what I've seen in my own program (and a few others) I'd think it'd be tough to transfer out. Most programs I've seen are wanting 1st & 2nd years because those people do the scut work that the attendings hate doing or they'd have to hire an attending to do more work which costs the dept more money. So if someone leaves the program--they'd rather have that open spot filled by a PGY1 or 2.

However there may be programs that are exceptions.

Last edited:
Just a quick question on the difficulty of transferring as a 4th year. I've heard from friends that it is actually quite easy to transfer especially if your not looking for a top program-actually interested in Florida. Anyone out there know if in fact it is a difficult process and how do I go about applying and looking for available positions? Is there a website specific for 4th year, do you apply via ERAS, do I just call the programs directly?

I've heard one of the reasons that 4th year spots are available is due to a large portion of the 3rd year classes going into child-is there really a void that needs to be filled?

Anyhow, I appreciate any feedback-Thanks:)

Depends on the program. On the one hand, many programs lose PGY4s for child early-track. On the other hand, the call burden drops off dramatically after PGY2 at many programs.

If you find a program with an open PGY4 spot and they are actively looking for someone to fill it, then it is very likely that you will be asked to take on more call than the other PGY4's (e.g., your transfer acceptance will be conditional on you agreeing to participate in the call pool as a PGY3 effectively).

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read some where that the last 2 years of residency must be completed at the same program. If this is the case, could you transfer as a 4th year? anyone know?

You can transfer training at any level but your training needs to be done in 1-year blocks. The only requirement is that 2 of the 4 years of training be in the same program. Most programs do not use ERAS for these slots. I would recommend contacting the program(s) directly to see if they have an opening. The Fall would be the best time to do it. You should also let your PD know as the other program will be contacting him/her in order to find out how you have performed and what training you have left to do.