This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I just Ignore the issue?

• Total voters

gianrow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys,
I've been fortunate enough to have received a few acceptances this cycle. However, I just realized that I made a mistake in my AMCAS and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I am currently in my 3rd gap and toward the beginning of the first gap year, I completed a phlebotomy program at a local community college that lasted about 3 months.

When I applied for med school, I completely forgot to mention it in my application and I was randomly reminded of it a couple of weeks ago.

I finished the program with a 4.0 and both my overall and science GPA in undergrad are 3.8. Also, I mentioned in the "work" section and the school's secondary essays that I worked as a phlebotomist for a while. I just completely forgot to include the community college and the phlebotomy program in the coursework section.
(If that makes a difference, MCAT: 511)

Anything I can/ should do? Could that be ground for dismissal if I omit to mention it now?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys,
I've been fortunate enough to have received a few acceptances this cycle. However, I just realized that I made a mistake in my AMCAS and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I am currently in my 3rd gap and toward the beginning of the first gap year, I completed a phlebotomy program at a local community college that lasted about 3 months.

When I applied for med school, I completely forgot to mention it in my application and I was randomly reminded of it a couple of weeks ago.

I finished the program with a 4.0 and both my overall and science GPA in undergrad are 3.8. Also, I mentioned in the "work" section and the school's secondary essays that I worked as a phlebotomist for a while. I just completely forgot to include the community college and the phlebotomy program in the coursework section.
(If that makes a difference, MCAT: 511)

Anything I can/ should do? Could that be ground for dismissal if I omit to mention it now?

Honestly, In your position, I wouldn't do anything. Given that you completed the program with a higher Gpa than your UG, it's obvious that you were not trying to hide any bad marks. Because of that, I'd say it's not worth going through the hassle. It's just my $0.02, maybe @Goro might have a dissenting opinion.
If you do feel the moral obligation to bring it up to your school, by all means, you do you!

(Congrats, btw)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Out of Curiosity, how did you manage to forget about a 3 month-long program that got you a job??

Reactions: 1 users
Out of Curiosity, how did you manage to forget about a 3 month-long program that got you a job??
Tbh, I guess because it was only 1 class that was neither part of my UG nor part of a Post-bacc degree, I just completely forgot about it when filling out the coursework section.

If you have been accepted, you should have been required to have official transcripts sent to the school. You need to have these sent to the school, including the one you forgot on AMCAS. You should at the same time send a letter to admissions and/or dean simply stating that on your AMCAS you have included this program in EC but neglected to include in on your academic transcripts. It was simply on oversight on your part but you have now forwarded the transcripts to the school.

You do not explain more, you do not add details of GPA, you make it 2 or 3 sentences only. You do not want to say anything more that could raise questions or be used against you. Why? because your acceptance can be rescinded on this. I seriously doubt it will be, but tread lightly and accept responsibility without seeming to say that your good performance in the program somehow a factor in forgetting to list it!
Should I mail them an actual letter or can I notify them via e-mail?