Training License Delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FomaticSysDunction

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back with my Throwaway.....

I need my Training License to start my residency program. I have an old arrest (23 years ago - a misdemeanor), so I disclosed it on my License application for the state I matched in. I had to wait wait while the state I did the crime in got my old records. Turns out that the court doesn’t keep records for petty offenses past 10 years. I found the arrest, but the archive would not send it directly to my residency state Licensing Board. Anyway....my application was delayed, my supplemental information was sent the minute I had it. Now my Training license is still in review, and I won’t have it when my residency starts orientation next week.

Anyone been through anything similar, or have insight into what I could do now? What happens now?

I have moved, and am stranded and broke in the rural town my residency was to have been in.

Members don't see this ad.

Back with my Throwaway.....

I need my Training License to start my residency program. I have an old arrest (23 years ago - a misdemeanor), so I disclosed it on my License application for the state I matched in. I had to wait wait while the state I did the crime in got my old records. Turns out that the court doesn’t keep records for petty offenses past 10 years. I found the arrest, but the archive would not send it directly to my residency state Licensing Board. Anyway....my application was delayed, my supplemental information was sent the minute I had it. Now my Training license is still in review, and I won’t have it when my residency starts orientation next week.

Anyone been through anything similar, or have insight into what I could do now? What happens now?

I have moved, and am stranded and broke in the rural town my residency was to have been in.

What did your PD say when you discussed this with him/her? That is the only person who can tell you for sure what to expect (guessing you will do orientation and just wait for the license to be issued before actually going on service). The GME office also may be able to give you an idea as to what to expect with regard to how long it takes to get the license as I am sure they've encountered delays before.

Reactions: 1 user
What did your PD say when you discussed this with him/her? That is the only person who can tell you for sure what to expect (guessing you will do orientation and just wait for the license to be issued before actually going on service). The GME office also may be able to give you an idea as to what to expect with regard to how long it takes to get the license as I am sure they've encountered delays before.
My PD said “just relax for now”. I asked what might happen, and she said I’ll get back with you today, but she didn’t. I asked if I can do orientation, and I’m still not sure. I didn’t get a straightforward answer. I got “just relax....”.

My PD said “just relax for now”. I asked what might happen, and she said I’ll get back with you today, but she didn’t. I asked if I can do orientation, and I’m still not sure. I didn’t get a straightforward answer. I got “just relax....”.
Good news is the PD isn't freaking out and basically telling you that you still have a job.

Bad news is that this may delay your start date and ability to get paid.

Not so much you can do at this point. It depends on your state board what happens next. Some are efficient at processing all this stuff and you might even get your license in time. My last license was issued a few days after my file finally got complete.

Some are the opposite of efficient. For example, God help you if you're in Illinois, you might not start till September.

Regardless, just relax for now.

Reactions: 1 users
Your PD has the final word, of course, but I can't think of a reason you wouldn't be able to participate in orientation without the TRN. Our orientation involves some clinical review and simulations, but no patient care--along with administrative reviews of policies and instructions for completing duty hours and logging cases. Last year, my state instituted new rules for training licenses that significantly delayed approval for everyone. I remember frantically refreshing the online tracking for each of my new interns on the Friday before they were scheduled to start work on Monday. By 3:30 pm, only one intern had a license number. My PD and I were gaming out how we would cover services with only one intern in a worst-case scenario. But by 6pm, everyone had their license, and I was ready for a large adult beverage.

Basically, make sure your PD an PC know that you are having an issue. It's likely that they have been through this before, and either they or someone in the GME office has some connections at the Board that they can call on to expedite your review. Breathe. There's still time.

Well, today is orientation, an I’m here, but still no sight of my license. I just can’t. This state is so slow, and inefficient.

Well, today is orientation, an I’m here, but still no sight of my license. I just can’t. This state is so slow, and inefficient.

Does everyone else in your intern group already have their license?

Status update: How This Got Resolved.

My residency chief was once on the Med Board reviewing my application. X/e called today, and my application was 1: Kicked to the top of the pile, and 2; Approved. I helped win this one by being honest, and doing what I could to comply, but ultimately strings got pulled, calls were made, hands were washed by other hands, backs got scratched, people knew people......

Reactions: 2 users

My residency chief was once on the Med Board reviewing my application. X/e called today, and my application was 1: Kicked to the top of the pile, and 2; Approved. I helped win this one by being honest, and doing what I could to comply, but ultimately strings got pulled, calls were made, hands were washed by other hands, backs got scratched, people knew people......

Wtf is a x/e

Reactions: 4 users
We have someone in my class who may not have their license in time for July 1. The PD offered to put them on a research month to keep things rolling if it came to it.

Glad you got your situation resolved.

HOORAY!!! Glad you were honest, glad there were string-pullers in your corner, and glad to have this episode behind you. Honestly, it was redic for the Board to hold up your approval based on a misdemeanor that occurred so long ago.

Probably won’t get paid, but you’re not fired PERIOD Y̶e̶t̶

Life’s hard enough living without that lingering over your head. OP, worst case is you may be delayed. Don’t file a single toe out of line and you’ll be fine.