Tracking Volunteer/Shadowing Hours

rualai

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So my question is how do I keep track of the hours I do volunteer work or shadowing?

Is there a official way I must do it? Or just keep track on my own (my problem with this is then couldn't everyone just lie?).

I'm assuming I should at least keep the contact info for the Dr or hospital I got hours from (I guess this would prevent people from lying) and that if I'm unsure of the hours I should make a conservative estimate.

Secondly, at least how many hours of volunteering/shadowing would be needed to be a "competitive" applicant?

Also is it ever too early to start shadowing MDs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
So my question is how do I keep track of the hours I do volunteer work or shadowing?

Is there a official way I must do it? Or just keep track on my own (my problem with this is then couldn't everyone just lie?).

I'm assuming I should at least keep the contact info for the Dr or hospital I got hours from (I guess this would prevent people from lying) and that if I'm unsure of the hours I should make a conservative estimate.

Secondly, at least how many hours of volunteering/shadowing would be needed to be a "competitive" applicant?

Keep track of everything on your own. I'd suggest creating a Word or Excel file that contains charts of hours with accompanying contact information. You'll provide contact info during medical school application process, but it most likely won't even be used by the schools.

As for the number of hours, volunteering should be something you strive to continue regularly so there isn't a set number of hours. The importance of shadowing is so they know you have clinical experience and will actually like pursuing a career in medicine. It seems like the majority of people get around 40 - 50 hours of shadowing. I'd suggest shadowing a variety of physicians, each for a day or two if possible.

And in answer to your last question, it's never too early to shadow MDs! It's always good to make sure you enjoy medicine before you dedicate yourself to pursuing it!

Keep track of everything on your own. I'd suggest creating a Word or Excel file that contains charts of hours with accompanying contact information. You'll provide contact info during medical school application process, but it most likely won't even be used by the schools.

As for the number of hours, volunteering should be something you strive to continue regularly so there isn't a set number of hours. The importance of shadowing is so they know you have clinical experience and will actually like pursuing a career in medicine. It seems like the majority of people get around 40 - 50 hours of shadowing. I'd suggest shadowing a variety of physicians, each for a day or two if possible.

And in answer to your last question, it's never too early to shadow MDs! It's always good to make sure you enjoy medicine before you dedicate yourself to pursuing it!

I had the same question, because in high school we were given volunteer sheets. So, i just figured it was self monitoring, but thanks for the good response

Members don't see this ad :)
What a great question. I was wondering this myself. Does anyone have a template on Excel for this? I am horrible with Excel, and I don't want to make it plain..

Hello,

Personally, I've been saving all of my medical related things (Shadowing Hours, Volunteer, etc.) in a folder with many, sub folders inside.

I have my hours calculated down to a tee thanks to this.

Track it on your own. Chances are schools won't use the doc you create. You answered your last question in your next sentence

You answered your own question here too.

I don't know the exact numbers, nor do I think there is a magic number that will make you competitive, but by scrolling through many different posts on here, you can see that many have some extensive hours of shadowing. You can check for yourself by reading into the "What are my chances" part of the forum. A lot of the people there have tons of examples to follow by

It's never too early to start shadowing. Getting some done early will only help you in the long run.

However, I've been told by many on this forum that Shadowing in High school (assuming you're in high school) isn't really something that impresses the Admission Committee. What they really care about is what you do in College. But don't let that deter you from shadowing in high school. Like I said earlier, getting the experience early will only help you in the long run.

Shadowing you do in high school (or really, anything else you do in high school) will not go on your medical school application. They want to hear about your experiences in college. But that doesn't mean shadowing in HS is a waste! Shadowing is a great way to see what's it like to be a physician. If you're still interested in medicine, then you can continue to pursue it in college. If anything, I think earlier shadowing would be good because you become more comfortable in a medical setting and learn to ask thoughtful questions. I was recently reflecting about a few shadowing experiences my freshman year of college... man I asked some silly questions. Volunteering is always a nice thing to do, and again, you'll be able to gain some experience in a clinical setting which could be useful in college.

Once you get to college, THEN you should start keeping track of hours. Write down the month and year you start and end each significant activity and keep track of the hours. You'll end up entering this info in your medical school application (so if you make a fancy document to keep track, make sure its for you and not for the admission committee members).

Can people lie about hours on their applications? Yes. Do people lie? Probably. You're required to provide one contact for each activity, but I doubt they actually call/email to confirm hours. Just be honest and you'll have nothing to worry about.

A few things to keep in mind:
-hours matter, but so do the length that you engage in each activity. Schools would rather see you dedicate a few hours each week to volunteering for a few years, than to have one intense month full of volunteering. This is why it's important to pick activities that you actually enjoy (there are many, many different types of volunteer positions). Of course, for things like summer programs or short volunteer trips, you can't spread those things out.
-in terms of shadowing, make sure to shadow a few different specialties. It's fine to have a lot of shadowing with one physician (I know several people who have done this), but make sure to also explore some other specialties. Schools want to see that you've explored a few different areas of medicine. In terms of hours, I'd say 40-60 hours is pretty good. I know people who have 150+ hours, but to be honest I'm not sure how much that really benefits their application. But they enjoyed their experiences, so it's all good.

Not too much further to comment here, but awesome avatar.

Hours are easily falsified, but if you're considering this you might wonder if you have the moral fortitude to be a physician. If it bothers you that others falsify, you're going to have to deal with a lot of broken social systems so get use to that as well. Remember, you volunteering to help others--not to check a box off.

You'll want to shadow a primary care doctor, but I would highly recommend not shadowing more than one or two docs one or two days each. In high school so much can change for you still (for instance, flunking out of prereqs.) so there's a good chance (statistically) that you won't pursue medicine. However, I do recommend (minimal) shadowing now so you don't waste time taking difficult gen chem & physics coursework only to find your true passion is journalism, or whatever.

If you continue your volunteer work into college you can count HS hours. I think this only demonstrates continuity though, I'm not sure.

A lot of the application is on the honors system. Unless the information raises a red flag or seems outrageous, they take your word for it more or less. It's more of a personal moral issue. You have to consider what kind of physician you're going to be if you're falsifying hours that you haven't put towards volunteering or shadowing

I'm not sure what the OP is asking... tracking for who? I think most of this type stuff is just estimated...

How do I shadow a physician, I have a 100 hours of volunteer work at the hospital, but no shadowing experience. I tried calling a hospital, but they do not have a program or know how I can that up. I want to shadow in a hospital rather than a clinic since it would look better, and would get to be in a hospital environment. Also, would shadowing a resident count? Any help/advice would be appreciated. FYI I am in Chicago, and there a lot of hospitals, I just do not know how to get in touch with a physician so I can shadow him/her.

How do I shadow a physician, I have a 100 hours of volunteer work at the hospital, but no shadowing experience. I tried calling a hospital, but they do not have a program or know how I can that up. I want to shadow in a hospital rather than a clinic since it would look better, and would get to be in a hospital environment. Also, would shadowing a resident count? Any help/advice would be appreciated. FYI I am in Chicago, and there a lot of hospitals, I just do not know how to get in touch with a physician so I can shadow him/her.

where do you volunteer? How well do the staff in your department know you?

For me, I was seen volunteering enough for a physician to offer to let me shadow him.

where do you volunteer? How well do the staff in your department know you?

For me, I was seen volunteering enough for a physician to offer to let me shadow him.
I volunteered at U Chicago Comer's Children Hospital. I did a lot bedsides along with brought the patients down when I was volunteering there. Therefore, I have been in the atmosphere, but have not been besides a doctor, and I do not know if medical schools would be ok with this type of experience or they specifically want students to be with a physician. There is a lot of information to shift through, and that is why it makes things even more complicated.

Shadowing you do in high school (or really, anything else you do in high school) will not go on your medical school application. They want to hear about your experiences in college. But that doesn't mean shadowing in HS is a waste! Shadowing is a great way to see what's it like to be a physician. If you're still interested in medicine, then you can continue to pursue it in college. If anything, I think earlier shadowing would be good because you become more comfortable in a medical setting and learn to ask thoughtful questions. I was recently reflecting about a few shadowing experiences my freshman year of college... man I asked some silly questions. Volunteering is always a nice thing to do, and again, you'll be able to gain some experience in a clinical setting which could be useful in college.

Once you get to college, THEN you should start keeping track of hours. Write down the month and year you start and end each significant activity and keep track of the hours. You'll end up entering this info in your medical school application (so if you make a fancy document to keep track, make sure its for you and not for the admission committee members).

Can people lie about hours on their applications? Yes. Do people lie? Probably. You're required to provide one contact for each activity, but I doubt they actually call/email to confirm hours. Just be honest and you'll have nothing to worry about.

A few things to keep in mind:
-hours matter, but so do the length that you engage in each activity. Schools would rather see you dedicate a few hours each week to volunteering for a few years, than to have one intense month full of volunteering. This is why it's important to pick activities that you actually enjoy (there are many, many different types of volunteer positions). Of course, for things like summer programs or short volunteer trips, you can't spread those things out.
-in terms of shadowing, make sure to shadow a few different specialties. It's fine to have a lot of shadowing with one physician (I know several people who have done this), but make sure to also explore some other specialties. Schools want to see that you've explored a few different areas of medicine. In terms of hours, I'd say 40-60 hours is pretty good. I know people who have 150+ hours, but to be honest I'm not sure how much that really benefits their application. But they enjoyed their experiences, so it's all good.
There is some disagreement about whether you should include high school shadowing on a med school app. See this prior thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/high-school-shadowing-on-med-school-app.997281/

Personally, I don't know why it wouldn't count. I've shadowed a doctor a few times in high school and when I'm home on winter break or summer vacation from college. I think this is just a continuation of my shadowing experience. I don't know if there is an official rule on this or not.

Best way to track? Word document file. Just update it anytime you shadow a doctor for a day or two. Best way to do it. Also use it for any extracurricular you do! I promise you there will be things you will forget unless you constantly update it. Also email the updated list to yourself every time you update it. If you lose that list and don't remember what was on it, then you will be kicking yourself up until you get an acceptance to medical school.

I have a Google Sheet that I log all of my shadowing/volunteering hours on. I have a different tab for each activity, and then once a week log the dates and hours earned for each activity. It takes me about two minutes and I just feel so organized. :)