Tracking procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steve_Zissou

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm an R1 and have been doing a boat load of joint injections on my MSK rotations. Although it seems like ACGME doesn't require us to track the number of these past a very low number, would there be any benefit to tracking all of them? Would it play any role in setting me up for a job further down the road? I feel pretty competent in shoulders and hips, and passable for hand and foot smaller joints at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Good to hear you're feeling good about arthrograms, not every program produces people comfortable in them.

At your level of training I'd say it's probably not worth tracking. For credentialing purposes, places ask for the last two years of your case log to demonstrate what you're capable of. So only the last two years of residency are really relevant. Tracking in that sense also means having IT pull your list of cases dictated by CPT code, so there's nothing you need to track manually anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to hear you're feeling good about arthrograms, not every program produces people comfortable in them.

At your level of training I'd say it's probably not worth tracking. For credentialing purposes, places ask for the last two years of your case log to demonstrate what you're capable of. So only the last two years of residency are really relevant. Tracking in that sense also means having IT pull your list of cases dictated by CPT code, so there's nothing you need to track manually anyway.
Good to know. I’ve been doing the ACGME case logger painstakingly, one by one, logging each procedure. If they can just pull them, that makes things way easier.