TouroCOM NY MS vs LECOM-E MS vs TUNCOM MHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted955816

Hi everyone! i am trying to decide between Tourocom NY MS, LECOM-E MS, and TUNCOM MHS! It would be great to hear more about ur experience if you have done one of these programs!

Tourocom NY
pass on the comprehensive exam
3.45/4.0 = guaranteed admission
students are graded on a curve/exam grades depend on class average
1st year of med school basically
21 credits per semester-42 credit program
about 50% matriculation rate

LECOM-Erie
3.3 guaranteed interview (but conditional acceptance based on past data with a 3.8+)
38 credit program
Pass on comprehensive exam
not the same exact as first year of med school but very similar
19 credits per semester
mandatory lectures + professional clothing
according to director about a 50% matriculation rate out of thse who interview

TUNCOM MHS
31 credit program
3.5+ 500+ guaranteed interview but many TUNCOM MHS students matriculate into DO
also has an option to go to PA school
taught by med school faculty...similar to first year med school
not sure the matriculation rate

Members don't see this ad.

@Hazle Hey Hazle I was wondering if you did the program or know anyone who did the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Touro NY. I did the masters there. Basically they grade based on curve using standard deviation. Eg if the class average is 80 and standard deviation is 10 the am A is 90+, A- is 85 to 89 and around average is always B+. You literally take same class and exam as the DO students so it’s first year med school. Just get 3.4 gpa, pass the comprehensive exam and you are in. Very strong linkage

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Can you tell me more about the touro program? Is that grading system beneficial to the student? Is one campus better than the other? I got into both campuses.

Touro NY. I did the masters there. Basically they grade based on curve using standard deviation. Eg if the class average is 80 and standard deviation is 10 the am A is 90+, A- is 85 to 89 and around average is always B+. You literally take same class and exam as the DO students so it’s first year med school. Just get 3.4 gpa, pass the comprehensive exam and you are in. Very strong linkage
Only the GPA is requirement? Do they require mcat?

They require an Mcat score when applying but it doesn’t have to be high mine was 497

They require an Mcat score when applying but it doesn’t have to be high mine was 497
Thanks. Looks like it's too late to apply now. By chance, do you know if there is an "expired" score for MCATs or they will accept any. Mine is from 2016.

It’s too late to apply this cycle but next cycle open up i think in November. This cycle is a mess anyway due to pandemic and am not sure how they will be graded since taking exam remotely inflates grades.

Look at location and cost of school also. Both Lecom and Touro are good schools. Since their curriculum mimics 1st yr med classes, you have to up your game. Having said that, students from good post bac, or ms programs hit the ground running when they matriculate. Do the math, and consider location to make your decision. Either program will be beneficial if you put in the effort. Good luck and best wishes!

@Reverdin green since exams are inflated when going remotely should I be worried about touro because the exam averages will get insanely high and I will have to do better than everyone else right?

Look at location and cost of school also. Both Lecom and Touro are good schools. Since their curriculum mimics 1st yr med classes, you have to up your game. Having said that, students from good post bac, or ms programs hit the ground running when they matriculate. Do the math, and consider location to make your decision. Either program will be beneficial if you put in the effort. Good luck and best wishes!

Yeah by location I mean I live 30 minutes from touro Harlem lol so close to home would be great cuz of how stressful it can be right? Also cost wise LECOM is really cheap Which is great but idk why my friends who have gone to the mms havnt matriculated. That concerns me. Idk if that should be taken into account, no masters is easy though.

Yeah by location I mean I live 30 minutes from touro Harlem lol so close to home would be great cuz of how stressful it can be right? Also cost wise LECOM is really cheap Which is great but idk why my friends who have gone to the mms havnt matriculated. That concerns me. Idk if that should be taken into account, no masters is easy though.
My N=1, my friend's daughter a 3.7 GPA chem major from a local liberal arts school, could not score above 497 on MCAT. She asked for a LOR to Lecom MS program and I wrote one. She surprisingly was unable to matriculate in the end, so not sure what's going on in her case. Good luck whichever you choose!