TouroCOM New York Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question that I am hoping some of the accepted studetns can answer for me. So I am getting ready to apply this cycle and I am thinking of adding TouroCOM to my list, but while I was looking over the website on fin aid it made it seem like you only get 15,000 to live off of, is this true (which seems impossible in NYC)?

I'm not sure if you have received your fin aid awards yet, but I am just wondering if they mentioned these things in the interview. Thanks and good luck in this transition!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question that I am hoping some of the accepted studetns can answer for me. So I am getting ready to apply this cycle and I am thinking of adding TouroCOM to my list, but while I was looking over the website on fin aid it made it seem like you only get 15,000 to live off of, is this true (which seems impossible in NYC)?

I'm not sure if you have received your fin aid awards yet, but I am just wondering if they mentioned these things in the interview. Thanks and good luck in this transition!

COA lists 18.5k for room and board only, and gives you additional allowance for personal expenses and transportation. I think it's also very doable in getting an apartment for ~1k/month utilities included if you pick up a roommate or two, even in manhattan. Just don't expect getting a magical studio apartment for under 500/month.

COA lists 18.5k for room and board only, and gives you additional allowance for personal expenses and transportation. I think it's also very doable in getting an apartment for ~1k/month utilities included if you pick up a roommate or two, even in manhattan. Just don't expect getting a magical studio apartment for under 500/month.

Well I guess it depends on how much they give in the additional allowance. I mean NYCOM gives the students a budget of 29K or so. So I can't imagine that living off 18.5K is easy compared to 29K, not that I plan on living it up, but I want to be semi-comfortable, not worried about buying food/paying rent.

I only glanced at apt. on craigslist but even studios were close to 2k so you could fit 2 to 3 people in a studio? I know that moving to NYC is an adjustment esp in size but 3 people in a studio? Where have you looked for apartments??? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For 2009-2010 school year, the school is giving about $20,000 for room and board.

But apply first, and see if you like the school or not, worry about the financial aid afterwards.

Last edited:
For 2009-2010 school year, the school is giving about $20,000 for room and board.

But apply first, and see if you like the school or not, worry about the financial aid afterwards.

This is true. For other future classmates shopping in the area soon, here's my experience with 2 bedrooms in the Harlem area yesterday: there are some really tiny places that are affordable (eg 1400-1600) and are relatively safe as you'd be sharing with a lot of other students, and some really nice ones on slightly busier streets, maybe in a little less safe area. Landlords also seemed amenable to me asking for additional security measures put on before I moved in, like window fire gates / deadbolts, etc. Doesn't hurt to ask. Nobody budged on dropping rents though or one month free, even with the offer of signing 2 year leases, unless they already offered it first. Rents have dropped in Manhattan around 11%, so be hopeful, don't push too hard, and good luck :)

hey. hey. i am getting ready to leave for a week of apt hunting. how is it going for other peeps?

thus far my search highlights are as follows:

i am going to be sharing a 1 bed w/ my sweetie. i am excited about two no fee places i found. one through manhattan north management company (they own multiple buildings, all nice, no fee. you can google them and go to their website). they have a 1 bed overlooking marcus garvey park for $1650. and then there is a 1 bed on 135th for $1450 w/ washer/dryer in apt and marble bathroom. i have to live in a place that feels clean.

and for others who may be interested...man. north has a 1 bed. 2 blocks from cen park on 112th in a building w/ laundry and a doorman for $1700. pricy. but could be fun.

ah, wait.... i stand corrected. the apt overlooking marcus garvey park is a two bed,

i'll post the web addresses for the management companies in a little bit. it is early in the morning. and there are fuzzies in my eyes.

Do any of you all know some of the hospitals that the clinical years take place at? I've looked over the Touro website, but I didn't see any affliated hospitals.

I am a newyork state resident and was wondering if there are students who commute to Manhattan from queens using the trains. I was wondering if it was okay to do, or is the workload much that its better to live near campus. Any advice is helpful thanks. :)

i met one girl who now is either a first year or second year who commutes from queens. i know queens is huge as I was born and raised there, but she didn't mention where she commuted from in queens. Hope that helps, sorry it wasn't more juicy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a newyork state resident and was wondering if there are students who commute to Manhattan from queens using the trains. I was wondering if it was okay to do, or is the workload much that its better to live near campus. Any advice is helpful thanks. :)

I'm not familiar with queens, but I can say that the commute between brooklyn, jersey city, or hoboken (jc and hoboken are in nj) isn't bad if you live near the trains. Depending where you live in Brooklyn, commute is about 35-45 minutes to school. There are three PATH station stops in Jersey City, and one in Hoboken that get you to 33rd street in a little less than half an hour, and then it's about 10-15 minutes up to school if you take the subway at the same station. The three towns are sort of the suburbs of manhattan and are a little less expensive to live in if you don't mind the commute. Otherwise, living pretty much anywhere in manhattan is the best way to get around to school.

hey i am commuting from queens close to the last stop of the F train so it should take me 40 minute to travel to 125 street. Although I would still take a 15min-20min bus ride to the station. So i am expecting 1hr 15min commute by train vs living in manhatten. I am considering to weigh my options. i hope it will not tire me out.:(

hey i am commuting from queens close to the last stop of the F train so it should take me 40 minute to travel to 125 street. Although I would still take a 15min-20min bus ride to the station. So i am expecting 1hr 15min commute by train vs living in manhatten. I am considering to weigh my options. i hope it will not tire me out.:(

I personally think 1hr 15 mins is a little too much to commute. I've tried commuting half an hour in undergrad and it wiped me out, and I expect the workload in med school to be considerably more. But this is really based on how much you can handle. If anything, you can try it out for the first month assuming you're not on a lease, and see how you deal. Otherwise, you might be able to shave off half an hour off your commute (an hour daily!) if you live in any of the other places I listed above.

Hey, I also live in the same area of Queens. I know someone that does the commute from our area that doesnt mind it too much; I guess it just depends on your personal preference. I am going to live in the city because I'd rather shave an hour off of my commute and use that to either sleep or study.

well i think i might try it out for the first month and see how it goes. depending how comfortable it is i will see. thanks!

so where is everybody living? anyone still looking for roommates?

hey. hey. just got back from NYC and i am glad to say my apartment hunting was successful. i got a no fee, government subsidized, rent stabilized apartment, in a really really nice building a block from the northeast corner of central park.

great kitchen, marble bathroom, about 700 sq feet for a one bedroom.

i ended up finding it through manhattan north management company.

i wanted to tell you all about it cuz there is a 3 bedroom available in my building and i would love it if some fellow students move in.

the realtor and manager said the three bedrooms are huge! i did not see them though.

well, i hope all goes well w/ you all and good luck in your apartment hunting adventures...:xf:

hey just a quick question how many exams do we have during the week itself....

Hi everyone,

Did anyone receive Dr. Cammaratta's e-mail a few days ago. It said that we need a criminal background check...does anyone know where to get this done from?

Thanks in advance!

I had a few questions about the deposit...
- which address should the deposit be sent to? 125th street or the new office?
- is it $2000?
- can the check be hand delivered if that will be faster?
thanks for your help, i got the acceptance letter but no additional information other than i need to submit the deposit within a week.

I had a few questions about the deposit...
- which address should the deposit be sent to? 125th street or the new office?
- is it $2000?
- can the check be hand delivered if that will be faster?
thanks for your help, i got the acceptance letter but no additional information other than i need to submit the deposit within a week.

Contact Obed on Monday morning. If you do not hand deliver it, then use Fedex or USPS overnight and get a signature on them receiving it. Mistakes happen but as long as you can prove that you have sent them the cheek in good faith and can prove it, it can prevent headaches.

Congrats!

school starts in less than a week! any last minute advice? also do we have to dress business casual for orientation?

For those of you interested in buying a great physio and pharm textbook, I have the following for sale:

1. Guyton 11th edition Physiology - $75 - barely used, no writings
2. Goodman and Gilman Pharm (latest edition) - $100 - practically new

Email [email protected] if interested. :)

Anyone knows which of the three touro osteo schools is the biggest? I am assuming that the one in California because it is the oldest. But I 've heard that main TU was there in New York even before the CA osteopathic school!

Although Touro NY existed before the Cali and Nevada locations, the medical school is still new and does not really use any of the downtown facilities. Both Touro NY and Cali have a class size of 135. I'm not sure about Nevada.

Hi everyone,

I am about to send in my deposit for the class of 2014 and I was wondering if anyone could help me out by answering some of my questions:

1- What is the exam schedule like? Are the exams dispersed or is there like a week where you have all of your exams? How often are exams given..like every 2weeks or every month?
2- Do you find that you have enough resources available to you in terms of speaking to professors when you need to?
3 - Are the students out for blood due to the grading system/is it competitive or are students willing to help each other?
4 - I live in Brooklyn and would be commuting to school. Do you think an hour and 15min commute is insane or do you know students who do it?
5 - Does the school teach students toward the COMLEX (and USMLE if anyone is thinking of taking that too) and do the 2nd years feel prepared to take it without postponing the exam?
6 - How cramped does the study space get and are there areas around the school to study in?
7 - Are there any plans to change the 2nd year course .Clinical Systems class (b/c so many have complained about the StepII material)?

.Thanks, I appreciate any help you can give.

Hi everyone,

I am about to send in my deposit for the class of 2014 and I was wondering if anyone could help me out by answering some of my questions:

1- What is the exam schedule like? Are the exams dispersed or is there like a week where you have all of your exams? How often are exams given..like every 2weeks or every month?
2- Do you find that you have enough resources available to you in terms of speaking to professors when you need to?
3 - Are the students out for blood due to the grading system/is it competitive or are students willing to help each other?
4 - I live in Brooklyn and would be commuting to school. Do you think an hour and 15min commute is insane or do you know students who do it?
5 - Does the school teach students toward the COMLEX (and USMLE if anyone is thinking of taking that too) and do the 2nd years feel prepared to take it without postponing the exam?
6 - How cramped does the study space get and are there areas around the school to study in?
7 - Are there any plans to change the 2nd year course .Clinical Systems class (b/c so many have complained about the StepII material)? .

Thanks, I appreciate any help you can give.
2nd year We have 4 hour examins about every 3 weeks on four subjects immuno, pathology, clinical systems, pharmalogy. They are tuff to cram at once you will learn to pace yourself to survive.
The professors do hold reviews and are willing to help you, and are available
Student for the most part help each other although a liitle less this year due to the curved grading
The communte from Brooklyn is relatively long. If you get a seat and ear plugs you can study, but that communte will take time from studying and sleeping
During test time study space is tight. Usually its not a problem
There has been a little give on clinical systems time towards path, immuno, and pharm...but only on rare occasions. Most people find clinical systems a tuff coarse because of the intense advancement of the coarse . At minimum it is step two, and sometimes internal med board/speciality board level. Some people find that the coarse ties things together.