TouroCOM Montana vs. CUSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackLotus95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Got accepted to both with a similar deadline to accept but I can't afford both of the deposits at this time to put off the decisions. I still have 4 more interviews, but unfortunately, the timelines don't all match up so I only have to pay one deposit. If only med school stuff worked like that.

TouroCOM Montana
Pros
  • Their research program seems like a nice gig (2 years of tuition assistance) and is in a field I'm personally interested in (neurodegenerative diseases)
  • Great Falls is an affordable area and being near Yellowstone seems like a big plus in the beauty and stuff-to-do department
  • Faculty seemed very engaged about the work they do and have a focus on the underserved which I like

Cons
  • I don't know anything or anyone in Montana
  • More expensive
  • New school although under the Touro umbrella, but regardless it's a new school
  • Not guaranteed that I'd get into the research program, you apply right before your first semester to my understanding
  • No students have been here so I can't get an accurate read on what the school will be like because our second year student contacts are from the Harlem campus

Campbell University SOM
Pros
  • More affordable by a little bit
  • I lived in NC previously and know people there
  • Might be closer to where my husband is stationed (he's in the Marines)
  • Seems like a solid program, good board prep, good match days
  • Rotations at Camp Lejeune would be great for me, I worked with the population when I first started considering medicine and I really loved it.
  • Can enjoy city or rural environment due to Raleigh's proximity

Cons
  • Not sure what the research opportunities are like there, I imagine Duke and UNC kids get top picks of things
  • Not as much tuition help that I know of
  • Religious-based school, not a big deal to me but I am simply not religious. I don't think they make you do anything religious based but I imagine it will come up in conversation.
  • Hurricanes. Living in NC for 3 years, I've grown annoyed with them.

Summary: Overall, both schools provide a similar rural environment with a similar focus on underserved communities but differ mainly in their ages and in my experiences with the states that they're based in. That tuition assistance for TouroCOM is why I don't immediately choose CUSOM, but there may be something I'm overlooking in this decision.

Thanks for any help you can provide or insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the more established program at Campbell. It is a big help to have students in each of the years above you who can provide applicable advice on coursework, resources and rotations.

Reactions: 4 users
Take the more established program at Campbell. It is a big help to have students in each of the years above you who can provide applicable advice on coursework, resources and rotations.
Thanks! It’s tough to weigh that help when I’ve never really used it before. But med school is a whole new beast. I appreciate the insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cusom is an amazing school. Easy pick imo.

i had a meeting with the touro people and understand that the montana campus is just the same touro with a new campus. i've been to yellowstone and glacier and am very interested in being so close to the parks and outdoor activities. good luck!