TouroCOM-Harlem vs CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsss

Reaction score
Hey everyone, having a difficult time making this decision. I am also on 3 MD waitlists and'll take those over both of these, but I have to decide soon between these two. I'm just gonna list the pros and the cons for each.

TouroCOM-Harlem
Pros
  • Closer to home and family by a decent margin
  • Tuition is cheaper by 20K a year (estimated COA is around 60-70K less compared to CCOM, though it's still very high)
  • In the city - wanted to move to a large city for school
  • Break for Passover is a plus (not Jewish however)
  • Seems like faculty is pretty supportive
Cons
  • Match list is not very impressive to me - don't want to do my residency/practice in the NYC region as of right now and most of their matches are in this region (but would still likely choose it over the Midwest RIGHT NOW)
  • Doesn't seem like it's good for psych students - very few psych matches overall
  • Relatively new school, might not have as many alumni connections as I'd like
  • Heard rotations are not the best (and you have to travel a decent amount to get to some of them)
  • Facilities are kind of old, small, and outdated
  • Doesn't provide really any mental health resources

CCOM
Pros
  • More established/prestigious program, part of the Big 5 founding DO schools
  • Good research opportunities, which is what I'd like to match into a good psych program
  • Seems like psych match is stronger here - though that might just be a given year
  • Has a pretty large campus, including a gym (which is important for my health)
  • Has free mental health resources (also important for my health)
Cons
  • Location - in the suburbs, I would ideally like to be in a city
  • Tuition! Almost 500K COA
  • Far from family, not really familiar with the Midwest all too much (but I'm open to moving there!)
  • Also heard rotations are not the best here as well

So, I feel like CCOM is a more prestigious school for sure and provides more resources. The question I'm struggling to determine is - does this justify the much higher tuition in yall's opinion? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Between DO programs, there is no real difference in terms of prestige as long as it’s not brand new, PDs will view them all equally lowly. Just go to the cheaper one or the one closer to your support system.

Doubt CCOM is worth the price tag

Please don't spend that much by going to CCOM. Touro NY's students are likely from NY or were very interested in moving to NYC, hence why they picked the school. They likely applied heavily to residency programs in NYC and the NE as a whole.