Touro NY class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was interested in Touro for 2009. What is the story with the biochemistry requirement? Does a/o know- they r so confusing
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

do tell us how the interview goes.
i have turned in my application and am waiting.
did u have all your pre-reqs done?

I have a couple of questions.

1. Where will they get their rotation slots from? With so many pharmacy schools (I have done rotations with students from Boston, Rutgers, etc) producing pharmacy students with already established relationships with insitutions, ambulatory sites, etc, where will Touro place its students? Most rotation spots are based on past alumni-school relationship. How will Touro find its spots? Assuming they have the spots, be sure that it fits you. A new school in the area "might" have have to go further to find its spots (long island, Upstate, NJ, etc).

2. Why are you guys picking Touro over SJU, LIU, Buffalo, Albany, and St Johns Fischer?

I am also getting the impression that this school is laxing standards of pharmacy requirements. For example, I am confused as to the part where they require you biochem/stats but are willing to look the other way if you dont have it? Will they teach it? If they do, why does it matter if the candidate took it or not? These are after all very important requirements of pharmacy practice and necessary for a pharmacist to know in order to practice.

Thanks in return.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. Where will they get their rotation slots from? With so many pharmacy schools (I have done rotations with students from Boston, Rutgers, etc) producing pharmacy students with already established relationships with insitutions, ambulatory sites, etc, where will Touro place its students? Most rotation spots are based on past alumni-school relationship. How will Touro find its spots? Assuming they have the spots, be sure that it fits you. A new school in the area "might" have have to go further to find its spots (long island, Upstate, NJ, etc).

2. Why are you guys picking Touro over SJU, LIU, Buffalo, Albany, and St Johns Fischer?

I am also getting the impression that this school is laxing standards of pharmacy requirements. For example, I am confused as to the part where they require you biochem/stats but are willing to look the other way if you dont have it? Will they teach it? If they do, why does it matter if the candidate took it or not? These are after all very important requirements of pharmacy practice and necessary for a pharmacist to know in order to practice.

Thanks in return.

Touro is somewhat of a last ditch effort for the 2008-2009 school year. All other schools have completed their application cycles for the school year starting in the fall.

Biochem is not a requirement, but it candidates having completed this course are given preference.

naseuy
do u know if biochemistry is being waived for this year, or will it be waived also for Fall 2009?

Most likely no requirements will be waived next year. Also bachelors will be required and/or completion of 120 units. This is how it was originally, and then they relaxed the requirements a bit. This is only because of the lack of time. Either way the people that will be applying this year with all requirements completed PLUS extra (such as a bachelor) are being given priority. So if you are missing any requirments (with the exception of biochem) you might want to save yourself the time and stress of trying to get an application in the 2 weeks. Also, I've noticed a lot of people seeing this as "their only hope". Why don't you apply to several schools for 2009! You might get into a school that is already accredited. Be confident! At this point there are a lot of questions no one can answer as far as where rotations are etc. because no one has started and this is all last minute.

Just came across this thread and the school...

I have 91 hours of course work completed. However, I am missing Biochemistry, which is not a big blow since it is only recommended. I do meet all of the prereqs except for Anatomy and Physiology. I have taken A&P I, but not A&P II.

Do you think there is any chance they would excuse A&P II given their attempt to quickly put together an inaugural class rather quickly and their potential small applicant pool?

I am kinda confused here. They stated they needed 4 hrs of human anatomy and 4 hrs of physiology, but they can accept a combined course of A&P. Doesn't 4 hrs mean only 1 semester? Or does 4 hrs anatomy and 4 hrs physiology = 8 hrs A&P ( i.e. 1 year)?

Also, I have been trying to type in my info on the application they sent me. I can't seem to save the application on my computer. I have downloaded the latest version of adobe, but still no luck. When I try to save it, it comes up in "foreign characters". Any help please.

I was interested in Touro for 2009. What is the story with the biochemistry requirement? Does a/o know- they r so confusing thanx
:bullcrap:

Biochem is not required, it is being waived

I just spoke to Touro today. Biochemistry is only a preferred class. U can get into Touro for Fall 2009 without ever taking biochemistry- I left them a message and they called me back. The fone num is 212- 851-1192 ext 2500. The second time I called th lady picked up the fone.

I emailed another person at Touro who said biochem is required from 2008 and on- I dont know who to believe and I dont want to get screwed over.
anbody know a/t?
thanx

Last edited:
just got an interview august 14 2008 9am......:cool:

I think its short notice but I'm going for it....

Do you mind telling what your gpa and pcat score is??

:bullcrap:

Biochem is not required, it is being waived

I see that u r applying to Touro this yr but I was interested about next yr. Do u know if it being waived just this yr or perhaps next yr as well.

they have good rotations slots they basically have some of the same sites as LIU n StJu. I personally know some of their sites so there is no worry when it comes to that. They already have rotation slots so plz do not scare ppl. secondly rotations will be started early so the students will gain more experience and will come out better prepared n these site are in the NYC area. also the curriculum is great. they have structured their courses well. the biochem background is meant to help students have a better understanding instead of being thrown into it. They are not laxed n will be highly selective in their process. Lastly some program have biochem as a P1 course. The school has really good faculty also.
I will not be attending Touro but its definitely good.. best wishes to every1.

Thanks in return.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck.

Thanks.

As for the other posts in the thread. We're picking Touro because its still taking in people for 2008. Even for 2009, I'd pick Touro before picking St. John Fischer, Albany or Buffalo.

St. John's only takes people from high school, and LIU doesn't have the greatest faculty in the world from what I've heard from friends who are currently in the program.

And before someone asks, here are my stats:

3.0 GPA
73 Composite PCAT w/ 87 in Bio and 82 in Chem
2 Years Pharm Experience
PTCB Certificate
First Aid/CPR Certified

Thanks.

As for the other posts in the thread. We're picking Touro because its still taking in people for 2008. Even for 2009, I'd pick Touro before picking St. John Fischer, Albany or Buffalo.

St. John's only takes people from high school, and LIU doesn't have the greatest faculty in the world from what I've heard from friends who are currently in the program.

3.0 GPA
2 Years Pharm Experience
PTCB Certificate
First Aid/CPR Certified
good luck sparda on the interview. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

3.0 GPA
2 Years Pharm Experience
PTCB Certificate
First Aid/CPR Certified

Lots of luck to you! I know you want to go to Touro. Tell us how it goes and your impression of the school. I'm interested in hearing about it!

Thanks.

3.0 GPA
2 Years Pharm Experience
PTCB Certificate
First Aid/CPR Certified

Sparda,
where do you list the First Aid/CPR Certification. I have these too. Should they be under extracuricullars? and how were you able to type in your info on the application. There are such small spaces provided.

Yeah, I had to use Adobe Acrobat or something like that. My application wasn't that neat in that sense because the program is weird when it comes to typing into it.

Sparda29, if you don't mind me asking, what did u major in for ur 1st degree.

Well, I got the call informing me that I was invited to an interview like 4 hours ago. Going on Tuesday at 9AM.

sparda29 good luck with your interview......make sure to prepare using the interview feedback in sdn....:thumbup:

sparda29 good luck with your interview......make sure to prepare using the interview feedback in sdn....:thumbup:

didnt you had an interview too ?? if so, How did it go?? hope it went well !! ^_^

didnt you had an interview too ?? if so, How did it go?? hope it went well !! ^_^

yeah i had an interview....it went well....the staff were very enthusiastic and helped keep me relaxed throughout the interview....:cool:

great location...opposite of Apollo theaters...

Well, I got the call informing me that I was invited to an interview like 4 hours ago. Going on Tuesday at 9AM.

Good Luck on your interveiw tomorrow Sparda!!!!!!:)

Good luck Sparda, we are rooting for ya! :)

So how dangerous is it to live in Harlem? I've lived in downtown Detroit for a year and didn't think it was that bad.... how about Harlem?

Also, is it really expensive to live there.... how much would a single be ? Thanks :)

Harlem isn't as bad as it was 20 years ago. The neighborhood really has improved, but you still have to use common sense. Don't walk on an dark, empty street at night.

If you expose yourself as a target in any neighborhood, chances are that you will get mugged. I already carry weapons with me, no firearms, but a couple of knives and makeshift flamethrower materials (zippo lighter and small canisters of Axe body spray).

The interview went quite well, the staff was really nice. I think the group interview part went great, but I had some trouble during the interview with the 2 faculty members. I wasn't really prepared for the kinds of questions they were asking.

The questions weren't really asking about you, but asking about what I thought of the pharmacy profession, what the future holds for pharmacy, etc.

Parking over there is a bitch since the maximum street parking is 2 hours.

Classes are supposed to start at 8AM over there. I drove to the interview, left my house which is 21 miles away at about 7AM, and I got there at 7:35AM.

Of course, I was speeding(70+mph) and there wasn't much traffic. I'd expect there to be more traffic during the semester because of school buses being on the road. The daily tolls are going to be a problem.

I think for Touro, I'm going to have to do one of the following:

A - Rent an apartment nearby Touro.
B - Buy a motorcycle to make for quick commuting.
C - Get used to waking up at 5:30AM instead of 8:30AM and take the early trains into the city.

Sparda29 I was thinking the best way is to rent out an apartment....during the interview Dr. Lois Garland-Patterson told us the homes over at Staten Island are cheap so Im looking in there.....also Im checking craigslist for any apartments in the area....

I took a train from connecticut about 30 minutes to 125th street......

The interview with the 2 faculty members kinda threw me off a bit too.....

Oh yeah and Sparda29 dont forget to send a interview thank you note...

How long did the interview with the faculty members last?

I think taking the bus would be much more reasonable considering the problems with parking and tolls.

Last edited:
How long did the interview with the faculty members last?

I live on Staten Island. I think taking the bus would be much more reasonable considering the problems with parking and tolls.

Well, for me it lasted about 30 minutes. The Assistant Dean's Assistant had to come into the room and knock like twice to tell the interviewers that time was up for the interview. I guess that's better than rushing through the interview.

Sparda...how many were at the inteview? did the whole interview process lasted all day?

hey sparda..what did u think of the spontaneous writing as part of the interview?? and did u choose space or deserted island???

hey sparda..what did u think of the spontaneous writing as part of the interview?? and did u choose space or deserted island???

Haha, that was kinda funny but I didn't know that we had to write an essay. I just wrote a short paragraph on how we chose the items we needed to survive, I guess we chose the deserted island.

Haha, that was kinda funny but I didn't know that we had to write an essay. I just wrote a short paragraph on how we chose the items we needed to survive, I guess we chose the deserted island.

I knew there was a writing sample before the interview. I thought it was gonna be a formal essay comparable to the PCAT essays but this was nice. I wrote 1 paragraph pretty much doing the same thing.:cool:

I knew there was a writing sample before the interview. I thought it was gonna be a formal essay comparable to the PCAT essays but this was nice. I wrote 1 paragraph pretty much doing the same thing.:cool:

I thought it was going to be some kind of test. Basically, once they told me to bring something to write with, I knew there was a writing portion.

I hope they can read what I wrote though, my handwriting is as bad as or worse than the stereotypical physician's handwriting.

I hope they can read what I wrote though, my handwriting is as bad as or worse than the stereotypical physician's handwriting.

I am confident they can decipher your handwriting :laugh:

My game plan is to take a break august 23-august 31 08 and go for a mini vacation over to California to keep my mind off applications and eagerly awaiting the decision......

prolly go over to Las Vegas and gamble a bit, perhaps ill even visit universal studios.... :whistle:

Last edited:
for those that got interviewed...after you turned in the application how long did it take for them to contact you for an interview ?

I am confident they can decipher your handwriting :laugh:

My game plan is to take a break august 23-august 31 08 and go for a mini vacation over to California to keep my mind off applications and eagerly awaiting the decision......

prolly go over to Las Vegas and gamble a bit, perhaps ill even visit universal studios.... :whistle:

I'm already on vacation. I took off to my vacation in the Poconos right after my interview. I had to ask the Dean for directions to the George Washington Bridge. :laugh:

To the other guy, I was contacted about 5 days after I sent my application in.

More curious questions.

What kind of questions do they ask you guys at the interview?
What's the area like?
Where are you guys planning on living if accepted?

More curious questions.

What kind of questions do they ask you guys at the interview?
What's the area like?
Where are you guys planning on living if accepted?

Well, during the group interview it is more about yourself, what do you do, etc.

In the individual interviews, it is more about what you think about the school's vision, future of pharmacy, etc.

The area seems nice during the day, don't know about night.

It doesn't have dorms. Classes start at 8AM, which could be a problem for me since I live quite far from there(21 miles), and a crap load of traffic.

I could continue to live in Long Island and take the LIRR to the city followed by the subway, which would work by giving me time to study on the train.

Or I could get an apartment in Queens and commute in.

Or purchase a motorcycle and come in from Long Island.

I have an interview with Touro on Tuesday August 26 at 9am...This is going to be crazy since I am coming from Florida on Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know what hotel is best to stay at that is not ridiculously expensive? This is VERY last minute, and I am not at all familiar with the area. I am just going to wing it and hopefully the friendly New Yorkers will cut me a break and help me out as far as directions go. I am flying into Laguardia Airport. My AIM is WhtsNUrWallet, and any help would be much appreciated :)

I have an interview with Touro on Tuesday August 26 at 9am...This is going to be crazy since I am coming from Florida on Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know what hotel is best to stay at that is not ridiculously expensive? This is VERY last minute, and I am not at all familiar with the area. I am just going to wing it and hopefully the friendly New Yorkers will cut me a break and help me out as far as directions go. I am flying into Laguardia Airport. My AIM is WhtsNUrWallet, and any help would be much appreciated :)

There are some hotels near La Guardia so just get a room there. Take a cab to the school from the hotel.

There are some hotels near La Guardia so just get a room there. Take a cab to the school from the hotel.

Sparda, Thanks for the info. I was looking at the hotels and I've just never paid more than $100/night before for a good hotel w/wifi. I was just apprehensive since a lot of the reviews online for hotels in the area had guests complaining of waking up with bug bites :eek:. I am thinking I have to just buckle down and pay the high costs to avoid waking up with critters crawling all over me.

Sparda, Thanks for the info. I was looking at the hotels and I've just never paid more than $100/night before for a good hotel w/wifi. I was just apprehensive since a lot of the reviews online for hotels in the area had guests complaining of waking up with bug bites :eek:. I am thinking I have to just buckle down and pay the high costs to avoid waking up with critters crawling all over me.

I try to do reservations with Orbitz. Usually, you can get a low cost.

Thanks Sparda for answering our questions. you've been a great help.