Touro - Nevada, Class of 2012!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

DrK

I guess I'll start this one. Just got accepted and excited to get going.
Anyone else headed to Touro in August????

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome and congrats on your acceptance to TUNCOM.
You are about to embark on an intense and invigorating journey. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
I am now a third year and I love it!

Thanks! Looking forward to it. I do wonder about access to clinical experience, especially since it looks like they don't have students involved until the second year. Was this a problem, or do you feel well prepared during your third year clerkships there.

Members don't see this ad :)
you will not have any problems meeting physicians and having opportunities to shadow. Your second year of med school will be intense, and you will be shadowing local physicians sometime between your first and second year. Third year and fourth year rotations are great. I myself have been busy with rotations, etc. I just came back from Omaha, NE for a family med rotation.

by the way, I did and do feel prepared for my third year rotations. Our school prepares us pretty well, also when you study for your board exams, that will also help prepare you for your rotations.

you really don't want to do shadowing during your first year of med school. I don't think you will understand until you start your classes. You will be super busy studying.

Can you comment on your third year rotations so far? We really didn't get much info during out interview day. More preceptor based, or hospital?

I'd also be interested on how you've felt so far with your experience in the 3rd clerkships there in the Vegas area. I'm curious to know how good they are since the school is new in the area and I'm assuming the clerkships are just as new. It looks like you hadn't had any difficulty getting a rotation outside of NV.

My first two rotations were internal medicine at the Valley, one month was outpatient at Dr. Mckenzie's and Dr. Milne's office, next door to the Valley Hospital. My second month was inpatient and I showed up around 7:00 am and usually got out around 5:00 pm. Many students had the choice to stay over night for on-call service. I worked one weekend out of the month. My third and fourth rotations were in Family Medicine. The first month of family medicine was spent at the Mike O'Callaghan hospital next to Nellis AFB. Hours at Nellis were from 7:00 am to about 4: 30 pm, with weekends off. The Air Force is starting a new family medicine residency there in 2009, and all Air Force HPSP students at Touro have first dibs for residency postitions starting with the DO 2009 class. My fourth rotation was in Bellevue and Omaha, NE where I rotated throught the Ehrling Bergquist hospital and UNMC, for my active duty tour.

The rotations here in Vegas are really great! Because I am in the Air Force, I am able to do almost all of my core clerkships at the Federal Hospital near Nellis. Students are rotating at the VA, Desert West Surgery, the Valley and its other hospitals, UMC, Sunrise, St. Rose, etc.

Many students that are interested in rural medicine are going to Carson City and Reno for rotations as well.

At the Valley, and any hospital or clinic you go to, you will have a preceptor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in like a dirty shirt. Vegas looks to be a happening place.

Hard to part with 2K....Welcome to the club!

Last edited:
Why do they want an additional 1k in May? :(...Really sucks, because I really need that money. Is there any way around this?

I don't know why, but I could use the money also. Don't worry because it goes towards tuition.

There's no way around it, but Roger may give you an extension if it is really necessary. Welcome to Touro!

There's no way around it, but Roger may give you an extension if it is really necessary. Welcome to Touro!

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your time. What appartments do you think are the best to stay in as far as quitness and safety-Remington Canyon? Can you please let me know what anatomy you learn-Head and Neck, Back and Spinal Cord, Thorax, Abdomen, Pelvis and Perineum, Upper Limb, Lower Limb; Do you learn everything. I really appreciate your response.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your time. What appartments do you think are the best to stay in as far as quitness and safety-Remington Canyon? Can you please let me know what anatomy you learn-Head and Neck, Back and Spinal Cord, Thorax, Abdomen, Pelvis and Perineum, Upper Limb, Lower Limb; Do you learn everything. I really appreciate your response.

Anatomy? What is that? J/k...you learn everything in anatomy...perhaps some of the brain will be left for neuro...It's been a while for me but good luck!

I am in..i will be sending my deposit tom!:laugh::laugh::hardy:

Allegro is close & very nice. There are a few others, depends on what price range & how many roommates etc. If I didn't have a house, I'd choose Allegro (sunken tubs are cool & walk in closets). In anatomy you need to know "everything" but don't worry, I did very well my first 2 blocks. We are in our 3rd blocks now. 1st block = back & upper limb 2nd = thorax & GI 3rd= pelvis/perineum/lower leg 4th = head/neck (starts in January). Netter or Gray's cards are very helpful if you want to start looking at stuff. The class of 2011 is very friendly if you are in town before school starts. Hope this helps. :)

Allegro is close & very nice. There are a few others, depends on what price range & how many roommates etc. If I didn't have a house, I'd choose Allegro (sunken tubs are cool & walk in closets). In anatomy you need to know "everything" but don't worry, I did very well my first 2 blocks. We are in our 3rd blocks now. 1st block = back & upper limb 2nd = thorax & GI 3rd= pelvis/perineum/lower leg 4th = head/neck (starts in January). Netter or Gray's cards are very helpful if you want to start looking at stuff. The class of 2011 is very friendly if you are in town before school starts. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks a lot. I am doing Netters flashcards right now. It's great to hear they worked for you. I'll check out Allegro when I come down. Sounds good:D.

Anybody got the 411 on any Intramural Sports? For that matter, anybody got the 411 on anything exciting at Touro right now? Laptop suggestions? I've seen the laptop thread, but thought I'd ask. Is there a discount for any brands through the school?

Yeah. I am wondering the same thing. Is there anything we need to be doing right now to get ready for school? I have not heard anything since I sent in my deposit. Is there anywhere else Touro Nevada students are posting or is everyone just waiting for the school information that tells us what to do? I am just wondering if I am missing out on something; basically I am just waiting for the school to send me more information on what to get and do next. Is this smart? thanks a lot

Anybody got the 411 on any Intramural Sports? For that matter, anybody got the 411 on anything exciting at Touro right now? Laptop suggestions? I've seen the laptop thread, but thought I'd ask. Is there a discount for any brands through the school?

As far as intramural sports go...we have them...basketball, volleyball, table tennis, etc. And if there is something you want to start up, and you get enough people to do so (shouldn't be a problem) then you can do that too! The leagues always have some good teams and some bad teams, but there definitely is competition. In volleyball alone there were at least 5 college athletes in the league this year. And a couple of those were involved in Olympic level competition as well. When you get here, the school bulletin board (online) will have all the info on how/when to sign up.

Laptops...sorry can't help you out there...I'm too busy playing sports. :)

Anyone know exactly when school/orientation starts for this upcoming year. I'm assuming some time during that first week in August, but I can't find any updated calendars up on the tu website. I want to get away for a few weeks before school starts.

Anyone know exactly when school/orientation starts for this upcoming year. I'm assuming some time during that first week in August, but I can't find any updated calendars up on the tu website. I want to get away for a few weeks before school starts.

I think I heard Roger throw out Aug 4th, but I'm not sure. In any case, that's what I've been planning on. Man I wish it were August already.

Go on as long a vacation as you can now!

Hi! I am having trouble finding the Class of 2012 facebook group....can anyone help? Can't wait to start meeting everyone!

Hi! I am having trouble finding the Class of 2012 facebook group....can anyone help? Can't wait to start meeting everyone!

is there even one? i never knew...

Just got the sweet little email today... so far, looks like Touro-NV is the place to be!

Congrats to everyone. Enjoy your summer...for those of you who are thinking about buying property, there are alot of foreclosures and sweet deals...supposedly the market is not supposed to get better until 2009 so it may work out for you all.

Make the best of your education...remember, the school can only offer you a foundation on which you build the knowledge to kick butt on the boards. There will always be some headaches when it comes to administration but every school has that. Don't be fooled by the "it's a new school" thing because, believe me, I've seen and heard from other students at more established schools on away rotations and I think Touro's doing a good job.

IMO, I would do it over again! I think my time at TUNCOM has been great and perhaps I've been lucky but I think I have gotten a solid education. Just put in your 110% and you'll be fine.

Congrats again! Now it's off to the ED I go for an overnight shift!

Hi and congratulations!

I'm a 4th year ready to finish up. Would I do it again...sure. Am I glad I don't have to...yes!

Some of you are asking about housing. We are lucky our school is located in a pretty nice area and there are some nice neighborhoods nearby. In general, housing is expensive in the Vegas area, but has come down some. We bought a house which we will be selling when we move. We will be listing it, but would sell for less if we could eliminate the realtor. 1 mile from school, 3 bed, 2 bath, 3 car garage. Let me know if you or someone you know is interested.
Also, if you have any other questions about anything I'm happy to help.

Good luck and have fun!

Congrats to everyone. Enjoy your summer...for those of you who are thinking about buying property, there are alot of foreclosures and sweet deals...supposedly the market is not supposed to get better until 2009 so it may work out for you all.

Make the best of your education...remember, the school can only offer you a foundation on which you build the knowledge to kick butt on the boards. There will always be some headaches when it comes to administration but every school has that. Don't be fooled by the "it's a new school" thing because, believe me, I've seen and heard from other students at more established schools on away rotations and I think Touro's doing a good job.

IMO, I would do it over again! I think my time at TUNCOM has been great and perhaps I've been lucky but I think I have gotten a solid education. Just put in your 110% and you'll be fine.

Congrats again! Now it's off to the ED I go for an overnight shift!

How are the rotation sites in NV during 3rd and 4th yrs? Are they well established and well organized? I would assume that with only 1 other med school in the state that there would be plenty of rotation spots around the LV area, therefore students wouldn't be scrambling around the state. Thanks!

Yeah I think the rotation sites are great from what I hear. I'm heading down there this year. Anyone down there know if jeans, logo shirts and shorts are acceptable as far as dress code.
Thanks a lot
Doc driven

Congradulations on your acceptance to Touro Nevada. I am a TUN 4th year and it looks like I'll probably match in AZ.

Your time at Touro will be what you make of it. I loved it, but it took me a year to figure that out. First year was the worst year of my life, but that's not uncommon.

:)

Congradulations on your acceptance to Touro Nevada. I am a TUN 4th year and it looks like I'll probably match in Tucson, AZ.

Your time at Touro will be what you make of it. I loved it, but it took me a year to figure that out. First year was the worst year of my life, but that's not uncommon.

:)
PS. Does anyone want to temporarily swap houses while in med school? It's a lousy time to sell in both Tucson and Las Vegas.

hey...what specialty...who r u..PM me...

I interviewed late January, and just got the acceptance email yesterday. This school was one of my top choices, and I'm excited to have a seat in the class.

Congrats. This is my top choice also!:thumbup:

Congrats on your acceptance! Welcome aboard

To all those (married or not) goin to house hunt in vegas, I say good luck. My wife and I went down this past weekend. We looked at prolly 25 homes all over the southern half of vegas focusing on forclosures and repo's. I had a very naive thought that since the market is rock bottom, especially down there we could sweep in, low ball a bank-owned property and then fire up a flaming mojito. not so. the banks list them low, take as many bids as they can and then pick the best. however, they won't tell you how long they'll hold your bid or tell you whether or not its even reasonable. one realtor said he's seen banks hold bids for up to 6 months, just holding out. grrrr...

has anybody had success yet? and if so, where?

double check your junk mail. roger's blasting everybody who's been accepted and taken a seat. if you don't got nothing, check in with him to make sure he's got your current email addy...

I'm really excited about going to Touro NV. I talked to one 4th year who had really positive things to say about his rotations in Nevada. I was wondering if any other 3rd or 4th years could add any comments about there clinical experiences so far? Do you like the Touro affiliated hospitals? Also, how do you like the curriculum the school has established for the 1st and 2nd years?

Thank you for your time.

Hey everyone! Just mailed the $2k. It feels pretty awesome!