Touro College Of Pharmacy- New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bongos

Accepted!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is any one applying here? they just revised their requirement,

EFFECTIVE as of August 10, 2010:

Touro College of Pharmacy has revised the 2010-2011 admissions process:
  • PCAT will no longer be required. :laugh:
  • The deadline for application has been extended to March 1, 2011; that includes both PharmCAS and supplemental applications.
  • Interviews will start in early October 2010 and continue through the middle of March 2011, with offer being made on a monthly basis.
  • The deposit to secure your seat in the class is now $1000 due in one lump sum.
2011 Application cycle:

Midway college of pharmacy: App. completed
Texas southern university: App. in progress
Sullivan University COP: App. completed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Switching to a diploma mill it seems?

Lowering requirements, extending admissions process and adding a more hefty fee are always a good set of signs.

I guess but who really cares? once accepted, your duty as a student is to stay focus, graduate and pass the Naplex.

Members don't see this ad :)
This leads me to raise some eyebrows considering it's one of my top choices for Pharm School. It's especially frustrating since I'm hoping to obtain a strong PCAT to vindicate my average GPA. The monthly admissions are also interesting considering how small the class size is.

Perhaps Sparda can explain these sudden changes.

This actually greatly deters me from wanting to apply :( It would have been cool to return to NYC again for school. Are they getting rid of the PCAT to maybe make it similar it to Touro CA?

Personally, I do not think that PCAT scores should be used to determine a student's ability to make it through pharmacy school or even be a great pharmacist. Some students aren't just good with standardized tests! Like me, I didn't do that well in the PCAT but now in pharmacy school, due to my academic achievements I'm a member of the Rho Chi honor society. How do you explain that??

Personally, I do not think that PCAT scores should be used to determine a student's ability to make it through pharmacy school or even be a great pharmacist. Some students aren't just good with standardized tests! Like me, I didn't do that well in the PCAT but now in pharmacy school, due to my academic achievements I'm a member of the Rho Chi honor society. How do you explain that??

No one ever said that PCAT determines their ability to do well in school. In fact I'm sure everyone in CA is doing absolutely fine in school. But for a school that is dropping it's original requirement seems odd and just makes you wonder why? Is it because they want more students applying for monetary benefit (hence the diploma mill statement) or are they just trying to adjust it to their sister school in CA.

Although on a side note, the PCAT isn't too hard of an exam imo. I think it just tests really basic components of the courses we were supposed to take. As long as you retained some of the information, whether you got an A in the class or a C, I don't think it's very hard to at least do a decent job.

Hello,

Is any one applying here? they just revised their requirement,

EFFECTIVE as of August 10, 2010:

Touro College of Pharmacy has revised the 2010-2011 admissions process:

• [*]PCAT will no longer be required. :laugh:
  • The deadline for application has been extended to March 1, 2011; that includes both PharmCAS and supplemental applications.
  • Interviews will start in early October 2010 and continue through the middle of March 2011, with offer being made on a monthly basis.
  • The deposit to secure your seat in the class is now $1000 due in one lump sum.
2011 Application cycle:

Midway college of pharmacy: App. completed
Texas southern university: App. in progress
Sullivan University COP: App. completed

Huh? And the Class of 2012, 2013, and 2014 had to take it? Hmmm... I dunno. They still require a bachelor's degree.

The change in the security deposit policy makes sense. I guess they figured applicants were turning down the acceptances because of the hefty deposits (used to be 3 payments of $2000 if I recall correctly).

Is anyone else applying to Touro-NYC for the Fall 2011? When do you think they will send out notices for October interviews, and how competitive do you think this application cycle is going to be based on just GPA and no PCAT?

I'm applying for Fall 2011 but I something is screwed up with the supplemental app. I can download and view the PDF file but I can't edit it. I had two of my friends try it, a mac and PC, and they couldn't edit it either. I was thinking maybe you could print and hand write the app but then it says on the top that it must be typed.

To make things worse, there is a link to a word version of the app on the website but it just takes you to the same PDF file.

I already emailed the school about this but haven't received a response.

You people are unbelievable! So what if they extended their application deadline? And so what if they longer don't require a PCAT? Maybe they are trying to be like Touro in California! People jump to conclusions right away on these forums. Get the facts first before you start "assuming" and "raising eyebrows." Just my opinion..

You people are unbelievable! So what if they extended their application deadline? And so what if they longer don't require a PCAT? Maybe they are trying to be like Touro in California! People jump to conclusions right away on these forums. Get the facts first before you start "assuming" and "raising eyebrows." Just my opinion..

I'm not 100% sure why you seem to be so outraged. That's EXACTLY what I said about Touro NY possibly trying to standardize their system with Touro CA. But none of us know this and are trying to find facts from maybe someone who attends or somehow knows.

Honestly, it's not a big deal. It only deters ME from applying because my GPA is much weaker than my PCAT and so it's one less school that I would stand a chance at. In either case, you can't really blame people for wondering WHY they're doing it, or speculating about it, especially if it affects their application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Yayapharm. Yea it seems that if you click on the link through the "admissions" menu, it takes you to the app that cannot be edited. It works with the link you gave me and the "supplemental applications" link on the side menu. Thanks for the help, can't believe I got a response faster here than from the actual admissions people at Touro.

You'll feel right at home. It's unbelievable how many Cali people are here.

That's awesome to hear. I visited New York two summers ago and I absolutely loved it. Not really digging the weather though.

The admissions page says that acceptance letters are mailed at the end of each interview month, Oct-Nov. Also that the deadline to reply to acceptance letters is five days and the deposit is due two weeks after the letter. Meaning that if you apply now you should be pretty sure that u want to go there. Im applying to other schools which send out acceptance letters as late as late spring. I think ill send in my app if i dont hear anything from my first choice schools by December.

Also the touro page says applications are not reviewed until the march deadline, yet they are sending interviews and acceptance letters starting in Oct. Doesn't make sense to me.

Hello,
for those who apply this year, has anyone get any information regarding the status of their application yet?
I really want to know mine !!!!!!

no not yet as they have not received the files from pharmcas. I hate Pharmcas!

I got an e-mail yesterday confirming that my PharmCAS application has been received.

I got an e-mail yesterday confirming that my PharmCAS application has been received.
kool when did u complete your application? I guess you'll be receiving a letter soon for the october interview

kool when did u complete your application? I guess you'll be receiving a letter soon for the october interview

I completed my app in 8/27. Hopefully I hear from them soon about an interview :xf:

Hi......
did u got any information regarding your status??????????

Interviews start in October...has anyone received an update yet?

Did anyone else get an email saying their file is complete? I didn't get the email?

yes even i have got the same problem and more over its clearly mentioned that typed or computer edited applications are only accepted

hey~when you guys said they sent an email saying your file is complete. Does that mean both your pharmcas and supplemental have arrived their school?
I sent in my supplemental applicaiton back in august, I have not receive the email that said my file is complete. Should I send an email to ask them? :confused:

hey~when you guys said they sent an email saying your file is complete. Does that mean both your pharmcas and supplemental have arrived their school?
I sent in my supplemental applicaiton back in august, I have not receive the email that said my file is complete. Should I send an email to ask them? :confused:
the same happened to me at first. I got an email saying they received my pharmcas, when I called they said was and auto email but they had my supp and my file is complete.

For those of you who did the supp. app. already, did you type your 'Life Experiences Essay' onto the actual PDF itself, or type and print it out as a separate word document?

I got this email from them today,

Thank you for your interest in the Touro College of Pharmacy. We have received your application information and your Supplemental Application. Your application is under review; you will be contacted with your status as you progress through the admissions process.

Dr. Lois Garland-Patterson
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Touro College of Pharmacy

Thank you for your interest in the Touro College of Pharmacy. We have received your application information and your Supplemental Application. Your application is under review; you will be contacted with your status as you progress through the admissions process.

Thanks for the update. I haven't received an e-mail like that yet. When did you submit your apps?

The admissions page says that acceptance letters are mailed at the end of each interview month, Oct-Nov. Also that the deadline to reply to acceptance letters is five days and the deposit is due two weeks after the letter. Meaning that if you apply now you should be pretty sure that u want to go there. Im applying to other schools which send out acceptance letters as late as late spring. I think ill send in my app if i dont hear anything from my first choice schools by December.

Also the touro page says applications are not reviewed until the march deadline, yet they are sending interviews and acceptance letters starting in Oct. Doesn't make sense to me.

The webmaster for their website seems to always forget stuff. There's a lack of communication from the IT department to the students/professors. IT guy usually blockades his door and covers the window to his office so people think he's not there. Annoys the **** out of me when I have to go complain about the internet being slow as ****.

Do you know when they might send out interview invites or when they will hold interviews in October?

Do you know when they might send out interview invites or when they will hold interviews in October?
I have no idea I guess we just have to wait and hope for the best

I finally got that e-mail this morning :thumbup:

Congrats!

I got an e-mail invitation for an interview for October 19th as well!

I wonder how many people they are interviewing and when we find out if we got accepted in October.

Any ideas where we can find out about past interviews for Touro College, anyone? I looked in the interview thread and it's not listed as a pharmacy school
user_online.gif
progress.gif