Touro CA class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The first round of acceptances just went out for TOURO CA on Friday and I'm in! Yay! I thought it would be helpful to start a thread for my fellow incoming students, any tips on moving, starting school, anything really that may be relevant to getting our time at TOURO CA off to a great start!

Congratulations! Can you believe it we are med students? WOW!

I've also started a group on Facebook "Touro University California Class of 2014" PM me and I'll give you my in real life name and you can look me up on Facebook, or just search for the group and join!

Members don't see this ad.

Just stopping by to say Hi to everyone! Both lerkers and posters. ;) If you are tempted to post something plz do. :) I want to meet those who are seriously interested in attending or atleast debating if they are going to accept their offer at Touro.

For me Touro is easily my # 1 choice for DO school. However, I am also considering some MD schools. The huge disadvantage for me in going to MD schools is that I miss out on OMM and saving a year with the accelerated MPH program. Even if I get an acceptance to UCSF in December, I will still have a hard time deciding between the 2.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kid I say you go w/ Touro-CA =) You can always leave Nor-Cal for 3rd and 4th year rotations.

For me Touro is easily my # 1 choice for DO school. However, I am also considering some MD schools. The huge disadvantage for me in going to MD schools is that I miss out on OMM and saving a year with the accelerated MPH program. Even if I get an acceptance to UCSF in December, I will still have a hard time deciding between the 2.

:whoa:

Not to disrespect Touro but UCSF is considered one of the best medical schools in the nation and is significantly cheaper to attend. You must REALLY be interested in OMM.

I went to Touro NV and left. I still have my medical equipment in basically brand new shape. I'll give you the best deal you can get. Just text or call at 925-216-5261. It's only one year old and I got it through Welch Allyn.

I know there are some current students lurking around this thread, and I have a few questions for you:

How much money did you have spend moving and living at the start of the year? Do you remember how much your utility and cable deposits were?
How much money do we need for books and equipment and insurance at the start of school? I know our student loans don't come in until halfway through September, so do we pay for all that ourselves and then get re-imbursed by the loan?

I'm really nervous about living from the end of July to the middle of September without any income and no student loans... was it hard?

I'm done with undergrad and currently work a full-time job, but I'm wondering if I should get a second job to save up for those first few months? I want to enjoy as much of my time as possible for school, but I also don't have parents or family who can help me out, so if I don't plan completely for my expenses then I'll get to Vallejo and be in serious trouble!

This is just to bump this thread, we've been a little sleepy and I know there have been lots of new acceptances since November!

Hello to Everyone!
First off, congrats! It is very exciting to be accepted into medical school.

I am a graduating fourth year. I lived in Berkeley all 4 years. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

Finally, I am selling most of my books geared towards 1st and 2nd years. They are also listed on Amazon (as the lowest price for each book). If you are interested in any of the books, send me a private message or buy them on Amazon!

Good luck!
~Maura

Public Health
Nation’s Health by Philip R lee and Carroll L Estes (7th edition): $49

Board/Test Review

Pre-Test:
Physi
ology(2nd edition): $3.50
Anatomy, histology, and cell bio (2nd edition): $0.60
Biochemistry and Genetics (2nd edition): $4
Neuroscience (5th edition): $4.50

Embryology and Anatomy
Langman’s Medical Embryology (9th edition): $13
USMLE Road map: Gross anatomy (2003): $1

Clinical Medicine

The Medical Interview (2nd edition) by Steven Cole and Julian Bird: $10
*moderate highlighting and writing

3rd Year
Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards (5th edition): $16
Iserson’s Getting into a residency (6th edition): $7
2007 Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment: $5

Pharm
USMLE road map: Pharmacology (2003) : Moderate highlighting and writing: $9
Visual Mnemonics for Pharm : $45
Lippincott’s illustrated Review: Pharmacology (3rd edition): $2
Katzung and Tevor’s Pharmacology Examination and Board Review(7th edition): $4.50

Neuro

Fundamental Neuroscience for Basic and Clinical Applications (3rd edition): $42
The Human Brain (5th edition): $13.50

Psych
Theory and Practice of Psychiatry: $2.50
*minimal highlighting

Micro
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Easy(Edition 3): $9.25
Medical Microbiology (3rd edition): $7
Visual Mnemonics for Microbiology and Immunology : $24
The Immune System (2nd edition): $3
*extensive highlighting and writing in a few chapters

Path
Rapid Review Pathology (2nd edition): $15
**Extensive highlighting and writing inside. No online student consult
Visual Mnemonics for Pathology: $5
Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine by Stephen McPhee (5th edition): $25

Biochem

Lippincott’s illustrated Review: Biochemistry (3rd edition): $15

Physiology
Physiology by Costanzo (3rd edition): $30
*Minimal highlighting and writing. No online student consult.

What are some of the amusement places one can go to around the Vallejo area? Good places to hang out?

There is a Six Flags in Vallejo. If we go to California, that will be our first stop.

Cool, are you class of 2014 too? I'm guessing that you are a happy wife.

Cool, are you class of 2014 too? I'm guessing that you are a happy wife.

My husband has been accepted there. I would definitely love to live there! There is so much good food and a lot of interesting places to see, but we're not 100% decided yet. Maybe only 80% so far. I'm still trying to convince him. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband has been accepted there. I would definitely love to live there! There is so much good food and a lot of interesting places to see, but we're not 100% decided yet. Maybe only 80% so far. I'm still trying to convince him. :)

Cool, we need some smart people to come to Touro. Maybe we can get together and explore the area right before classes start.

Cool, we need some smart people to come to Touro. Maybe we can get together and explore the area right before classes start.

I see you interviewed on 2/2. That was the same day as my husband.

I think we are going to go a month early to find a place and get settled.

I see you interviewed on 2/2. That was the same day as my husband.

I think we are going to go a month early to find a place and get settled.

Ah cool I've probably met him already then. I'm going to get settled there early as well. NorCal seems very different from SoCal, their supermarkets have different names and I want to get used to the place.

Ah cool I've probably met him already then. I'm going to get settled there early as well. NorCal seems very different from SoCal, their supermarkets have different names and I want to get used to the place.

He's a nontrad student and said he was one of the only Caucasian guys at the interview, if that helps narrow it down.

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I interview on 2/9 but I did not get a tour or meet any students at the school. 2/9 was the day after the president emeritus of the school died suddenly and the school was in a state of mourning. I was accepted and now I have to put up a deposit but I have several questions that I wonder if you could share you experiences with.

1. how were the facilities? i have heard from others that they are a bit lacking, but does it seem like a good learning environment?

2. Do you know the comlex step 1 pass rates?

3. do they podcast or otherwise record the lectures and is attendance mandatory?

4. Do you know how the rotation match works?

Thank you for your help. I really love the area and i could see myself being very happy there. However, there are a few questions of quality of the school that I am just ignorant off.

Thanks,

Richard

He's a nontrad student and said he was one of the only Caucasian guys at the interview, if that helps narrow it down.

Non Trad and Happy Wife congrats on your acceptances (and Happy Wife congrats on hubby's acceptance).... be sure to stop by the TOURO CA class of 2014 group on facebook... about 1/3 of our class are members of the group and there has been lots of great dialogue about the Vallejo area... There are also several current students who lurk around and answer questions for us!

You can find it by searching for it on facebook or by looking me up [email protected]

I know there are some current students lurking around this thread, and I have a few questions for you:

How much money did you have spend moving and living at the start of the year? Do you remember how much your utility and cable deposits were?
How much money do we need for books and equipment and insurance at the start of school? I know our student loans don't come in until halfway through September, so do we pay for all that ourselves and then get re-imbursed by the loan?

I'm really nervous about living from the end of July to the middle of September without any income and no student loans... was it hard?

I'm done with undergrad and currently work a full-time job, but I'm wondering if I should get a second job to save up for those first few months? I want to enjoy as much of my time as possible for school, but I also don't have parents or family who can help me out, so if I don't plan completely for my expenses then I'll get to Vallejo and be in serious trouble!

Hey Dani - I'm not sure if you've gotten some answers yet, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have more if you have...
As for living expenses for moving/the first month, it really wasn't too bad. Most bills/deposits you can pay with credit card (which I paid off once I got my student loans) or aren't due for a few weeks until you get your first bill. (I think water was the only one that I had to pay a deposit up front -not with the first bill, and it was around 125).
The real problem was deposit and first months rent at a place, so you definitely have to be prepared for that. (and any other expenses you anticipate moving into a new house/apt)
Books and equipment - you don't need much, there's only a book or two that you really need during the first week or two, and I think by the time we order equipment, we have our student loans. So all you need is money for 2 books, and maybe scrubs or something like that. (I also used my credit card for those as I spent all my saved money traveling before school started!)
I hope that helps you, if you have any more questions feel free to PM me!
-Alicia
PS. I'm pretty sure we got our student loan checks during orientation - 2nd week of Aug by the latest!

Hi there, Richard. I remember that day which caused a huge disruption to our class schedule, and I wondered too how they were going to hold interviews. Anyhow, I'm a 2nd year so here's my answers to your questions.

1. Facilities are good in terms of learning. The anatomy lab is clean, well ventilated, and fresh cadavers at the beginning of the school year. OMM lab is great with adjustable tables and video camera use. If you enjoy OMM, then Touro is definitely a great place. Lecture halls just got new crisper projectors, although the swivel seats aren't the most comfortable (ironic how attending osteopathic school can give you somatic dysfunctions.:laugh:) There's a histo lab with microscope that's sufficient. The library has nothing to admire about, but serves it's purpose. The latest you can study on campus is till midnight on most days.

In terms of recreation, this is where Touro is lacking. There's a basketball court that also gets used for volleyball, and annual table tennis and dodgeball tournaments.

2. I'm not too sure on comlex step 1 pass rate, but I believe it's high 90's. You might come across people that say the clinical education department responsible for rotations is lacking, but if you look at the match list for the past few years (available on the Touro website), it's pretty impressive.

3. There is no podcast for the lectures, however most lectures are voice recorded and available on the school server. Lectures are not mandatory, although every now and then there are mandatory classes that count towards your professionalism grade. As a 2nd year, I can say that I and about 50% of the class (maybe more) do not attend lectures on a regular basis. It all depends on your style of learning and the professor. All labs are mandatory. Usually 2 hours, occasionally 4 hours, on T, W, Th. Mondays and Fridays are only lectures.

4. Rotations work on a lottery system, however exemptions are given to students who have a legitimate reasons for a specific site. For example, 50+, out of 140 students got exempted to stay in the Bay Area for their rotations. Sites are mostly in California, but there are several scattered throughout the country like MI, NY, OR, CO, PA, AR. Availability of sites changes from year to year, but the class begins to get a better picture towards the end of their 1st semester of their 2nd year, and students find out where they are going sometime in February of their last semester at the school.

Hope that helps.

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I interview on 2/9 but I did not get a tour or meet any students at the school. 2/9 was the day after the president emeritus of the school died suddenly and the school was in a state of mourning. I was accepted and now I have to put up a deposit but I have several questions that I wonder if you could share you experiences with.

1. how were the facilities? i have heard from others that they are a bit lacking, but does it seem like a good learning environment?

2. Do you know the comlex step 1 pass rates?

3. do they podcast or otherwise record the lectures and is attendance mandatory?

4. Do you know how the rotation match works?

Thank you for your help. I really love the area and i could see myself being very happy there. However, there are a few questions of quality of the school that I am just ignorant off.

Thanks,

Richard

Hello all,

I'm a TUCOM alumini and about to finish my residency in Internal Medicine in Southern California. I have a newer (built in 2003) 4 bedroom 3 bath house on Mare Island which is literally 2 minutes from campus that I want to rent out to Touro CA medical students. One of the bedrooms is a master with its own bath and walk in closet and oversized tub. Comes with appliances couch, fireplace etc... 2 car automatic garage. I also have some books that maybe useful to the people who rent, and free advice for anyone interested in Internal Medicine of course. Email me if anyone is interested.

Paul Bhambra D.O.
[email protected]

Attachments

• 980 Prospect.doc
    89 KB · Views: 276
4. Rotations work on a lottery system, however exemptions are given to students who have a legitimate reasons for a specific site. For example, 50+, out of 140 students got exempted to stay in the Bay Area for their rotations. Sites are mostly in California, but there are several scattered throughout the country like MI, NY, OR, CO, PA, AR. Availability of sites changes from year to year, but the class begins to get a better picture towards the end of their 1st semester of their 2nd year, and students find out where they are going sometime in February of their last semester at the school.

Hope that helps.

You say that there are rotation site in AR - do you mean AR as in ARKANSAS? Or was that a typo and you actually meant Arizona (which is AZ)? I didn't see anything on the Touro website about rotations in Arkansas, but as I am from Arkansas I would love to be able to go back and do some rotations there.....

How are the 3rd year rotation sites? I have read some threads bashing Touro's core rotations. How many rotations will be in teaching hospitals?

Maura-
I also live in Berkeley and will be starting at TUCOM this fall. Any chance you would be willing to get together for lunch so I could ask you some questions about the first few years?
Thanks,
Megan
Hello to Everyone!
First off, congrats! It is very exciting to be accepted into medical school.

I am a graduating fourth year. I lived in Berkeley all 4 years. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

Finally, I am selling most of my books geared towards 1st and 2nd years. They are also listed on Amazon (as the lowest price for each book). If you are interested in any of the books, send me a private message or buy them on Amazon!

Good luck!
~Maura

Public Health
Nation’s Health by Philip R lee and Carroll L Estes (7th edition): $49

Board/Test Review

Pre-Test:
Physi
ology(2nd edition): $3.50
Anatomy, histology, and cell bio (2nd edition): $0.60
Biochemistry and Genetics (2nd edition): $4
Neuroscience (5th edition): $4.50
Embryology and Anatomy
Langman’s Medical Embryology (9th edition): $13
USMLE Road map: Gross anatomy (2003): $1

Clinical Medicine

The Medical Interview (2nd edition) by Steven Cole and Julian Bird: $10
*moderate highlighting and writing

3rd Year
Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards (5th edition): $16
Iserson’s Getting into a residency (6th edition): $7
2007 Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment: $5

Pharm
USMLE road map: Pharmacology (2003) : Moderate highlighting and writing: $9
Visual Mnemonics for Pharm : $45
Lippincott’s illustrated Review: Pharmacology (3rd edition): $2
Katzung and Tevor’s Pharmacology Examination and Board Review(7th edition): $4.50

Neuro

Fundamental Neuroscience for Basic and Clinical Applications (3rd edition): $42
The Human Brain (5th edition): $13.50

Psych
Theory and Practice of Psychiatry: $2.50
*minimal highlighting

Micro
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Easy(Edition 3): $9.25
Medical Microbiology (3rd edition): $7
Visual Mnemonics for Microbiology and Immunology : $24
The Immune System (2nd edition): $3
*extensive highlighting and writing in a few chapters

Path
Rapid Review Pathology (2nd edition): $15
**Extensive highlighting and writing inside. No online student consult
Visual Mnemonics for Pathology: $5
Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine by Stephen McPhee (5th edition): $25

Biochem

Lippincott’s illustrated Review: Biochemistry (3rd edition): $15

Physiology
Physiology by Costanzo (3rd edition): $30
*Minimal highlighting and writing. No online student consult.

Hello all,

I'm a TUCOM alumini and about to finish my residency in Internal Medicine in Southern California. I have a newer (built in 2003) 4 bedroom 3 bath house on Mare Island which is literally 2 minutes from campus that I want to rent out to Touro CA medical students. One of the bedrooms is a master with its own bath and walk in closet and oversized tub. Comes with appliances couch, fireplace etc... 2 car automatic garage. I also have some books that maybe useful to the people who rent, and free advice for anyone interested in Internal Medicine of course. Email me if anyone is interested.

Paul Bhambra D.O.
[email protected]

Hi Paul,
I start the MPH program in June and I am on the waiting list for the DO program. I am looking for a place to live and would like to room with other Touro students. I would be interested in leasing your place if you still have any rooms available. I am currently living in Hawaii and plan to hop around a little before classes start. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Guy

Hi everyone:

Congratulations for your acceptance. :thumbup: I will start Pharmacy school on August 2010. I am looking for roommates to share an appartment, please let me know if any of you is looking for a roommate, too.

So excited to start the school in the following year!

Hi everyone:

Congratulations for your acceptance. :thumbup: I will start Pharmacy school on August 2010. I am looking for roommates to share an appartment, please let me know if any of you is looking for a roommate, too.

So excited to start the school in the following year!

If you're looking for housing be sure to join the Touro Ca 2014 group on Facebook, it was originally started for incoming DO students, but the group now also includes several MPH students as well as several PharmD students.... And there is lots of discussion going on about housing right now!

Hi,

I am currently first year student in D.O program at Touro CA. My parents bought a new 4 bedroom/3 bathroom house located next to college on Mare Island. I am currently living in one of bed rooms and would like to rent out other bedrooms to incoming Touro students. For details please contact [email protected]

Thanks,
Pradeep Vanam

Hello all, I am reposting my original post from a few months ago since I am getting a few emails re: availability of housing on Mare Island. Please email me if you have questions.

Paul Bhambra D.O.
[email protected]
510-326-0286

Hey Everyone I am in need of your wisdom. I have been accepted for the class of 2014 and I am trying to decide whether to attend or not. I have heard some disturbing things about the rotations at TUCOM-CA. I am wondering if the things that I am reading are just posts from one grumpy alumni or if they are really true.

I have heard that the students are required to do a lot of personal work in order to even get a decent rotation. I have also heard that some of those rotations aren't that great even after the work. I would appreciate anything that anyone has heard or experienced. Thanks!

Steve

This is a call out to all Touro students who live in Berkeley who would be interested in starting or letting me in on an existing carpool. I'm applying to live at Hip House (a USCA coop) in Berkeley. Please message me if you have any thoughts or tips.

I am interested in carpooling from Berkeley and have lived here many years if you have any questions. I have no idea what the Hip House is, though. Is that a UC coop?

Hey Everyone I am in need of your wisdom. I have been accepted for the class of 2014 and I am trying to decide whether to attend or not. I have heard some disturbing things about the rotations at TUCOM-CA. I am wondering if the things that I am reading are just posts from one grumpy alumni or if they are really true.

I have heard that the students are required to do a lot of personal work in order to even get a decent rotation. I have also heard that some of those rotations aren't that great even after the work. I would appreciate anything that anyone has heard or experienced. Thanks!

Steve

For info on our rotations, you can visit tourospin.com :) There were issues with rotations this year, but not nearly as many as there has been in the past. Many of the second years who were frustrated with the process of selecting rotations last year ended up loving their rotation schedule. Really, every schedule at every school will have its advantages and disadvantages- its up to each individual student to make the most out of each site.

Congratulations class of 2014!!!! Touro is truly a wonderful, unique school with amazing faculty and students. I'm in the class of 2012 and I'll be starting my rotations soon so I may not have a chance to meet most of you. Know that even though 3rd/4th year students are away from the Touro campus, we're still happy to answer questions and give advice.

For anyone still trying to figure out housing, I just wanted to let you know that I have LOVED living in Benicia. Its a quiet little town with lots of history, nature, and a cute little downtown area with cafes and shops. About a 10-15 minute drive to school depending on traffic. My boyfriend and I have lived in an apartment complex called Club Pacifica for two years, and we just signed another lease to stay the next year. We live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath (with a sink in one of the bedrooms) and we pay $1310 per month (washer, dryer, trash, water included). Club Pacifica has some great deals going on right now. Other complexes in Benicia are also worth looking into. If you want to hear more about it you can PM me :)

I spent first two years of med school up there.. Oh my God, go to Sonoma and Nappa Wine valley.. Go up north to visit Cline Wines in Sonoma, stop by a sandwich place on the way up to get lunch in a basket, take a blanket and a significant other for a date, and buy a bottle or two of chilled white wine at Cline and spend the day out on the beautiful grounds up there at Cline Wines... Then if you want to top it off, go to Gloria Cherrar (sp?) just a few minutes north for champagne and a great view.. cheers - drNascent

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone heard about areas in vallejo that might be safer/better for a small family? I have visited vallejo this summer and looked at a few places but I am trying to find the safe/nicer neighborhoods. If anyone knows anything it would help me out a lot. I am looking for apartments or houses. Thanks!!

Type of Property:
Single Family House
Location of Property:
Prospect Ave.
Mare Island
Distance from Touro Campus:
<1 mile
Number of Bedrooms:
4 + loft
Number of Baths:
Interior Amenities:
Around 2800 sq ft of living space.
3 Bedrooms Available.
Beautiful Hardwood Floors in downstairs,
Granite counter tops, separate dining room,
Living room & open kitchen/family room.
Huge Loft. Home is partially furnished.
2 car garage. Shared with Touro Students. Cable is FREE!!
Exterior Amenities:
Walk to classes. Quiet neighborhood.
Large Patio. On a corner lot with a
beautiful view of the ocean.
Guest Parking directly in front of house.
Date Available:
Now
Rent:
$625 each room
Utilities Included:
Cable
Length of Lease:
Flexible
Contact Information:
Sathaiah Vanam (650)307-2448
Email- [email protected]

Hey everyone, I found out I was accepted last friday. I am VERY excited about coming to NorCal. Biggest issue right now is housing, where are most ppl living that don't have families? I really don't like the campus recreaction, especially that weight room. If anyone has suggestions or some other site that I remember one of the students talking about please let me know. Thanks!

Does anyone know when one squeezes in the MPH if they don't start the summer before their first year? I am just trying to plan and see if that is still something I want to do.

edit.

I should have read the entire thread before posting questions. :)

Couple of Q's

Note taking service?

When are they going to send out our financial aid award letters?

Still need a place? Renting a room in Glen Cove $525 + cost of utilities. FREE RENT FOR JULY. Let me know if you are interested. [email protected]