This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

careersearcher24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would recommend getting a therapist and start working on these issues now, while you're getting ready for a reapplication cycle and MCAT retake. You will not have time to work on serious personal issues during medical school, and the stress of school alone is often crushing, without serious outside issues adding to the strain.

I do not recommend law as an alternative to medicine, because the field is super saturated, and without going to a top 10 law school, you're not likely to make anywhere near the income you would as a physician. I'm married to a former lawyer who left the industry due to the immense stress. He often stated that every lawyer he knew was either on anti-depressants or self-medicating with alcohol and/or recreational drugs.

Reactions: 2 users
Specifically, I have been struggling with my sexuality (I know, personal), intimacy issues/anxiety in this area and am still figuring stuff out. I have had a lot of time to deal with this in the past year, but still haven't figured it out as I hoped. As a result, I have suffered from depression for many years. I have never dated anyone in my life, despite the fact that I am 23 years old, social, decent looking, etc, even though being in a relationship is what I want most. I do not want to put these problems off until I am in my mid 30's. So, I guess my question is, are these worries legitimate? Or will I have the time to deal with them while in school? I am having trouble weighing my desire to become a physician against these costs. I have recently been considering law (since it's only three years of school, which are hard but not as intense as medical school), and although I would rather be a physician, these costs may make it not worth it for me. Not sure what I'm looking for here, but any insight from you guys who are currently in school might help. Thank you.
Unless you get your mental health issues under control, I can't recommend med school.

Medical school is a furnace, and I've seen it break even healthy students. The #1 reason my school loses students to withdrawal, dismissal or LOA is to unresolved mental health issues.

Depression also is poorly managed on anonymous message boards. Go seek out your school's counseling center and get some help. This is NOT giving medical advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, thank you for your replies. Guess it’s worth mentioning I’ve been going to a therapist for over a year already, so have been working on that.

Hi guys, thank you for your replies. Guess it’s worth mentioning I’ve been going to a therapist for over a year already, so have been working on that.

I did some snooping and your problems haven’t resolved since you posted 3 years ago. I would have to say that all that advise from 3 years ago still holds today. Unfortunately before we can help others sometimes we need to help ourselves first.

Other than retaking the MCAT, I’m curious to the main theme of your personal statement as some of the things you mentioned above can be seen as red flags for admission.