tOSU (IS) vs Mississippi (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sszoo

Reaction score
Hi all! Looking for some input.

I was accepted to Ohio State (in state) and Mississippi State (OOS). When I toured Mississippi I fell in love with the school and the program, specifically the fact that students get 50-60 surgeries under their belt before graduation. I am 100% sold on OSU in every aspect except I am worried that I will not get enough spay/neuter surgeries to be proficient/confident upon graduation. Obviously $50k difference in tuition i do not take lightly at all, but I would love to graduate confident and competent in surgery.

Can anyone weigh in on the clinical/surgical experiences that each program offers? Is an extra clinical year and surgical experience worth $50k and being 12 hours from home?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

except I am worried that I will not get enough spay/neuter surgeries to be proficient/confident upon graduation
There are humane society clinical rotations you can do as externships in your 4th year regardless of what school you attend. I think it's much better to do one of those rather than pay an extra $50k before interest.

Reactions: 2 users
There are humane society clinical rotations you can do as externships in your 4th year regardless of what school you attend. I think it's much better to do one of those rather than pay an extra $50k before interest.
This is what my interviewers at OSU said, and even said I could repeat my shelter med rotation if i wanted. I just wanted some input to see if the two were comparable, and again I want to avoid spending any extra money on tuition let alone $50k. Thank you!!!