top trans year programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr2b0804

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone know what the "top tier" transitional year spots are? Thanks! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

dr2b0804 said:
Hi! Does anyone know what the "top tier" transitional year spots are? Thanks! :confused:

I think it all depends on how you define "top tier." The most competitive places are going to be the ones with the most elective time, cushiest location, and easiest call schedule.

I'm curious to know what kind of board scores are required to get into upper tier transitional year programs. Anyone have any ideas on that either?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lefty said:
I'm curious to know what kind of board scores are required to get into upper tier transitional year programs. Anyone have any ideas on that either?

Probably similar to the scores of the applicants who match the top tier programs in ophtho, derm, rads, and the other competitive specialties that need the transitional year.

Jaded Soul said:
I think it all depends on how you define "top tier." The most competitive places are going to be the ones with the most elective time, cushiest location, and easiest call schedule.

I was wondering which were the most sought after since my step 1 was not competitive (especially against prospective rads, opthal, ortho, anesth) candidates. Therefore, I'm trying to whittle down my list so as not to waste more money than I have to.

Locally our transitional program is pretty competitive; chock full of opthos and derms.

I heard through the grapevine that they have a Step1 cutoff of 225 to even have your application looked at....that's just rumor and speculation, however. :)

1. Sloan Kettering
2. Mayo 1,2 &3
3. Baylor
4. Emory