Top Psychiatry Residencies w/ DO residents (past or present)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHS1015

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious what would be considered the 'top' psychiatry residency programs that have accepted DO students? I know University of Michigan, Cleveland Clinic, and Mayo Clinic have all had DO psych residents, but was curious if y'all knew of other strong programs that have accepted DO students. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ of Washington

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure I would call either Mayo or Cleveland Clinic strong programs. If you want Minnesota, U of MN is stronger and if you want Ohio, Case Western and U Cincinnati are stronger. Ohio State too maybe.

Lay prestige doesn’t equate to a strong psychiatry residency program.

Reactions: 5 users
Cleveland is stronger than all of those. The spread and depth of their clinical rotations are fantastic.

I personally ranked CCF over Mayo, THE Ohio State, Cinci. Skipped over Case & Metro. Didn't apply to U of MN for other reasons, nor U of MI.

Last edited:
UCSD, Uni Texas at Austin, OHSU, Uni Colorado

Psych is very DO friendly and has many PDs who are DOs, I wouldn’t go crazy about worrying about these lists, just apply and see if you get an interview lol

Often times the DO's you see at these programs did an audition rotation and was well liked so it can be deceiving. Still worth applying if you can't do an AI, just don't hold your breath.

Last edited:
Why is this a good progr

It’s Atlantic City, the patient pathology exposure is second to none when it comes to severity (kind of like NYC) except it’s a poorer city with less resources and high rates of addiction and crime and homelessness.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s Atlantic City, the patient pathology exposure is second to none when it comes to severity (kind of like NYC) except it’s a poorer city with less resources and high rates of addiction and crime and homelessness.
Training might be good but it would not be considered a "top" program in academic circles.

Training might be good but it would not be considered a "top" program in academic circles.

True, but I've actually heard good things about the program from interviewers last season.

university of washington (seattle)
isnt that the place that called eGFR calculations racist or something because theyre separated between AA and non-AA so they got rid of that?

I did my adult training Drexel, child fellowship at Hopkins... timing is everything

All 5 harvards take DOs!

Last edited:
Definitely thinking about fellowships, plenty of DO's in those programs. McLean and BWH almost certainly do not interview DO's except with some sort of really amazing unicorn exception. BIDMC might rarely interview DO's, but no DO's on current roster.
That is because there are an excess # of spots to applicants or at best, the spots to applicants are about even...I guess technically this is true, but not because they are DO friendly.

Not "top" but a very solid University program that used to take very few DOs but has had several in the last couple of classes is UT Austin.