Top pharmacy school or bottom tier DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PirellitTyres

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was recently accepted to both a top tier pharmacy school (ranked #1 in the nation) and a private DO school that isnt ranked. I was previously enrolled in another mid-tier MD school but was kicked out because of my poor academic performance. I was kind of surprised I got into a DO school, but my stats for the DO school was in the top 25% of their admitted applicants. The major thing is location. The DO school is located in a relatively rural area far from any major cities, while the pharmacy school is located in a bustling urban metropolis. My significant other also lives near the pharmacy school, and I don't want to compromise our relationship and mental health. I know medicine will provide higher earnings and has a better career prospect too. However, given my past failures, I'm about 53% certain that I will be able to graduate the DO program succesfully withi 6 years. I am however about 80% certain that I can graduate pharm school within 6 years without getting dismissed, because from talking to pharmacists, the courses are less deep in the material covered, like they will only talk about the effects of drugs on a system rather than all the details of a system.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was recently accepted to both a top tier pharmacy school (ranked #1 in the nation) and a private DO school that isnt ranked. I was previously enrolled in another mid-tier MD school but was kicked out because of my poor academic performance. I was kind of surprised I got into a DO school, but my stats for the DO school was in the top 25% of their admitted applicants. The major thing is location. The DO school is located in a relatively rural area far from any major cities, while the pharmacy school is located in a bustling urban metropolis. My significant other also lives near the pharmacy school, and I don't want to compromise our relationship and mental health. I know medicine will provide higher earnings and has a better career prospect too. However, given my past failures, I'm about 53% certain that I will be able to graduate the DO program succesfully withi 6 years. I am however about 80% certain that I can graduate pharm school within 6 years without getting dismissed, because from talking to pharmacists, the courses are less deep in the material covered, like they will only talk about the effects of drugs on a system rather than all the details of a system.
The choice seems simple if you consider one question. Do you want to be a pharmacist or a doctor? Those are two entirely different fields of medicine.

Reactions: 22 users
Do you want to be a physician or a pharmacist? Are you committed to your significant other? What are you going to do differently this time that will result in a different outcome from the last time you attended medical school?

I would answer these three questions, and that should help inform your choice.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn’t you make a thread in September about applying to DO schools after getting kicked out. How did you already take the mcat and apply to do schools.

Reactions: 4 users
You were already a med student? Won't that cause issues getting matched?

Didn’t you make a thread in September about applying to DO schools after getting kicked out. How did you already take the mcat and apply to do schools.
Yeah good point . How is it possible to go from “applying “ to accepted your two different grad programs so quickly ? I call BS

Maybe OP didn’t need to retake the MCAT. Could have just submitted apps with schools after being dismissed.

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely remember your previous posts about this. Is this a fairly new DO school?

First, do you want to be a physician or a pharmacist? You need to KNOW that answer first.

Secondly, have you reflected, gathered the resources, social/familial/mentor support, developed coping skills, study skills, a routine etc to ensure success in either program and not have a repeat of before? (I saw you did note your SO which is good support).

I'm curious to why do you say within 6 years? Are you granting yourself wiggle room for failures or something because that shouldn't be the mindset. Aim for the 4 years and be out; don't set the bar low like that. Yes, there's potential for anything but you should be going in like "yes, I'm confident I will be successful this time and graduate in 4 years." (Unless, you're doing some dual program or research year)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If I was in this situation it would be a fairly simple choice to me. You already have a track record of not succeeding in a program that had a lot more resources to support you, and your original statement of I’m only 53% certain I would pass in 6 years is very telling. This new “bottom tier” DO school will not have nearly the resources to support you as your previous MD school.

On top of that your chances of matching are already severely jeopardized with a dismissal from previous MD school, unless you are totally fine with matching a rural FM program.

Add onto the fact that you would have a long distance relationship causing you strain when you are already going to be very stressed by the pressure you put onto yourself to succeed, sounds like a recipe for another failure.

Only you can make the choice, but if you can see yourself being okay and happy as a pharmacist then it is the much safer route.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Go to pharmacy. Give the spot to someone who needs their first shot and isn't thinking they barely believe they might graduate in 6 years

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Why are you 50% sure you'll need (at least) 6 years for medical school instead of 4 year?

Members don't see this ad :)
However, given my past failures, I'm about 53% certain that I will be able to graduate the DO program succesfully withi 6 years.
You failed out of one med schools already, and you're only 50% sure that you can make it through a second med school in SIX years?

Pray tell, what do you think residency program directors will think about that????

I try my best to only respond with things that will be helpful, so I apologize for this, but 53%? How random. How did you come up with that number?

I think I agree with Rapsidy's advice. I'd recommend Pharm for you based on their reasoning.

Last edited:
  • Love
I try my best to only respond with things that will be helpful, so I apologize for this, but 53%? How random. How did you come up with that number?

I think I agree with Rapsidy's advice. I'd recommend Pharm for you based on their reasoning.
That’s what I want to know. How did you come up with 53%?
Does the DO school know you were dismissed from another med school?

I feel like OP is very confused or lacks insight into their career moving forward. They have made multiple posts about physician vs pharmacist vs podiatrist and which path would be "easier" or that they think they can just pass the courses. Do they have insight into what they really want to do? Or are they in it for money/prestige? I also wonder what makes them think they will succeed at DO when they were dismissed from MD for failing out of classes. DO has the same classes, if not more with OMM. Also, did they address why 6 years instead of 4 years for DO? Because besides research, taking time off from med school with a history of being previously dismissed could be a red flag to residency programs i.e. ability to pass their boards. Residencies maintain their accreditation status with ACGME based on the board pass rate of their graduates. Lastly, I don't know much about pharm courses, but I feel they would be difficult as well, just in a different way.

OP I would take some time to consider your future instead of rushing into another graduate program. What career do you want to do the rest of your life? What is your passion? Do you have the support system, coping skills, and have thought hard about why you failed out of MD and can now succeed in either DO or Pharm?

• Love
I guess i’m not seeing the difficulty here. The pharmacy school option has pretty much all the advantages that matter to you (great city, close to SO etc). And well, you failed out of med school before and aren’t really optimistic that you will succeed in the DO school.

So. This is a no brainer. Go to pharmacy

Reactions: 1 users
DO, but if you're really unsure about whether you can complete school and residency...then neither. Pharmacy job market is tough enough for veteran pharmacists much less new grads. If you previously made it into med school you can succeed doing something else.

DO, but if you're really unsure about whether you can complete school and residency...then neither. Pharmacy job market is tough enough for veteran pharmacists much less new grads. If you previously made it into med school you can succeed doing something else.
Neither is a better answer than DO imo. OP themselves is rather doubtful they’ll succeed, and combine that with location, long distance from SO and a prior med school failure where OP had better resources and support is a recipe for disaster.

Would there be any issues registering for STEP or licensure down the line from prior expulsion?

Why are you 50% sure you'll need (at least) 6 years for medical school instead of 4 year?
6 years is the maximum amount of time the school allows you to complete medical school. I just put out 53% cause I believe I have a slightly better chance of completing all graduation requirements within the maximum alloted time frame (and assuming a few failures) than getting dismissed again somewhere in the process

Basically, just my confidence that I have a slightly better chance of completing DO school than getting dismissed again somewhere in the process. (53% chance Ill graduate, 47% chance I wont)

Unless you drastically changed something from the time you were dismissed from medical school and then were accepted at the new medical school, you have a higher chance of failure in either situation.

Pharmacy school is not easy. And if you had academic issues already, it seems too soon that you resolved those issues already.

With each passing day you are sinking deeper into debt if you took out a loan for the first school and now you are going back? Besides chances of you matching into any program with one medical school dismissal and needing 6 years to complete the second go around are dismal. Plus you have a massive loan to pay off. That alone will cause mental health issues

• Love
It’s your life, if you want to be a doctor then go for it. Just know that something needs to have changed for you to be successful the 2nd time around. Not everyone gets a second chance at being a doctor and I know a few people that would kill for that chance. Don’t waste your opportunity. I also wouldn’t waste my time with pharm school if I had no actual interest in being a pharmacist. What’s best for you depends on what you actually want and the adjustments you’re willing to make to successfully accomplish it.

Dude this is not worth the risk of 300k+ of debt with essentially what you deem is a 50/50 coin flip. I’d actually put those odds as too high as you’ve failed out before

Don’t do the DO school