Top paying jobs for Physician Executives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petey Piston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the highest paying jobs one can get with a MD/MBA?

Curiosity's sake, seems like a unique pathway to unique opportunities

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are the highest paying jobs one can get with a MD/MBA?

Curiosity's sake, seems like a unique pathway to unique opportunities

Uh... I'm not sure there is an answer to this question. A billion dollars isn't that bad an answer, if there is one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the OPs questions asks which "jobs" are highest paying and not how much those high paying jobs would pay out.

In terms of straight out jobs after graduation, check out drop out club .org They post job offerings for people looking for non clinical positions with an MD/MBA/PhD/MPH.

Some anecdotal examples of starting positions:
Consulting ~150k (for the big firms, but not easy to get into)
Equity Research ~100k+ (seen these a lot, and a guy I know who did it said it openned up so many contacts, as the documents you author, which are like the business equivalents of meta analysis, everyone calls you up on for details/clarification)
Typical Corporate Jobs ~70k-120k (like Strategy/Marketing/Research in a business setting)

A starting spot for most business jobs are a bit less than a primary care gig after residency. Hope that helps a little :) I was digging for info like this when I was considering not doing residency. You really need the info to evaluate finances given that student loans are 200k+ for a lot of people. Unfortunately "corporate culture" in medicine is to pretend that you don't care about money. Eh

As for down the road positions, sky is really the limit. Some hospital CEO positions are around mid to high 6 figures, same for corporate execs like CMO's CTO's at insurance companies, medtech's, etc, but the majority of people I've read about or talked to were all board certed. Bottom line is your labor rate as a physician is effectively constrained to a multiple of medicare rates. Only way to move higher is to move into business and out of clinical care (or open up a boutique practice for cash only patients lol).

In terms of straight out jobs after graduation, check out drop out club .org They post job offerings for people looking for non clinical positions with an MD/MBA/PhD/MPH.

Some anecdotal examples of starting positions:
Consulting ~150k (for the big firms, but not easy to get into)
Equity Research ~100k+ (seen these a lot, and a guy I know who did it said it openned up so many contacts, as the documents you author, which are like the business equivalents of meta analysis, everyone calls you up on for details/clarification)
Typical Corporate Jobs ~70k-120k (like Strategy/Marketing/Research in a business setting)

A starting spot for most business jobs are a bit less than a primary care gig after residency. Hope that helps a little :) I was digging for info like this when I was considering not doing residency. You really need the info to evaluate finances given that student loans are 200k+ for a lot of people. Unfortunately "corporate culture" in medicine is to pretend that you don't care about money. Eh

As for down the road positions, sky is really the limit. Some hospital CEO positions are around mid to high 6 figures, same for corporate execs like CMO's CTO's at insurance companies, medtech's, etc, but the majority of people I've read about or talked to were all board certed. Bottom line is your labor rate as a physician is effectively constrained to a multiple of medicare rates. Only way to move higher is to move into business and out of clinical care (or open up a boutique practice for cash only patients lol).

I don't agree with this, business comes down to one thing, dollars and cents. Look at the reimbursement of any major health care company CEO, obviously those people care about money, they have negotiated a salary of tens of millions of dollars.

I think the best solution with a MD/MBA is start a company instead of working for someone else. It definitely takes a certain breed of person, but if you have good business (common) sense, this is a sector that is growing a lot in the coming years.

Statistically it highly unlikely to get rich working for someone else. I am aware of an MD who started a traveling nurse company six years ago, I think it sold this year for 370 million dollars.

Reactions: 1 user