Top Caribbean medical schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They will list 140 matches, but you don't know if that year 142 people graduated or 1400.

And, again, I would be careful using the word "matched" instead of placed. There are many students who obtain those residencies outside of the Match.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad.

And, again, I would be careful using the word "matched" instead of placed. There are many students who obtain those residencies outside of the Match.

-Skip

The era of prematches is over with the all-in policy programs that obtain matches via NRMP must obtain all of their Residents via NRMP or not obtain ANY Residents via NRMP. The majority of Residency programs now use NRMP check FRIEDA for more information on which programs do or do not use NRMP.

Scramble is over it is now called SOAP. SOAP favors programs and American Medical Grads.

The era of prematches is over with the all-in policy programs that obtain matches via NRMP must obtain all of their Residents via NRMP or not obtain ANY Residents via NRMP. The majority of Residency programs now use NRMP check FRIEDA for more information on which programs do or do not use NRMP.

Scramble is over it is now called SOAP. SOAP favors programs and American Medical Grads.

Clarifications:

(1) The residency listed at the Caribbean schools are posted, for some of them, as far back as 2003. Many of these spots were obtained outside the Match. People looking at these lists to figure out where graduates went should know that not all of these spots were "matched" through the NRMP.

(2) The "all-in" policy means simply that, if a program is going to offer 10 spots in a category, they must place all of those 10 spots in the match. They can't reserve 3 of them, for example, for those outside the Match and only list 7 in the Match, as many programs did.

(3) A program can offer positions for an ACGME program outside of the Match. Likewise, you may still obtain a position but will be required, by the new rules, to withdraw from the Match (see 2.4.1).

A sponsored applicant who has been withdrawn may accept a position outside the Main Residency Match only if that training will begin between July 1 and February 1 in the year immediately following The Match; however, if the student elects to participate in The Match the following year, he/she will be a sponsored applicant.

(4) And...

Programs may increase, decrease, and make other changes in the positions they desire to fill through the Main Residency Match. Such changes must be approved by the institutional official responsible for the program making the change, as described in Section 4.1, and must be made in the Match Site by the quota change deadline.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/map_main.html

In other words, provided that the programs and applicants meet the deadlines, this "change" doesn't really have any teeth.

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377779673.740254.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377779648.018962.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377779648.018962.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 50
The era of prematches is over...

Let me put it another way...

What happens with a lot of Carib grads that do rotations in Chicago, New York, ATL, etc. is that the clerkship acts essentially as an audition. The student is liked, and the program director offers that student a spot for residency. As an independent applicant otherwise through the NRMP, you are not disqualified from accepting such a position provided that you simply then withdraw from the Match.

The program director then just does not offer that spot in the Match. By the own bylaws of the NRMP, they can increase or decrease (or whatever) the number of spots to be offered in the Match before the deadlines.

The reason why the NRMP essentially changed the verbiage and tightened some of the criteria for when you had to "declare" the number of spots you were going to put in the Match, but didn't really change the rules, was because a lot of programs in NY and Illinois rely on filling their programs with "outside of the match" or otherwise "independent" applicants. Such a drastic change may have had catastrophic consequences for programs who cannot, will not, and will never be able to fill - and this get their cheap labor - through the Match.

So, this is a cosmetic change. Nothing more. Don't kid yourself otherwise. Or, if I'm wrong, invite someone from the NRMP on here to refute what I just said.

-Skip

Thanks for clarifying what the changes to the match really mean.

Do you think the NRMP will tighten up the rules as the number of AMGs increases, assuming that the number of residency positions remains the same?

Do you think the NRMP will tighten up the rules as the number of AMGs increases, assuming that the number of residency positions remains the same?

You'd have to ask them.

They already did tighten up the rules, though, with the deadlines. Programs apparently can't play games anymore like in the past. But, I don't think anyone is ever going to be able to completely stop spots being offered outside the Match. You'd have a HUGE anti-trust lawsuit on your hands... again. (http://www.nrmp.org/memo_litigation.html)

-Skip

You'd have to ask them.

They already did tighten up the rules, though, with the deadlines. Programs apparently can't play games anymore like in the past. But, I don't think anyone is ever going to be able to completely stop spots being offered outside the Match. You'd have a HUGE anti-trust lawsuit on your hands... again. (http://www.nrmp.org/memo_litigation.html)

-Skip

Fascinating discussion of the rules and games. Both sides play them. Changing your match numbers will get you a phone call from the NRMP investigations unit. They are trying to stop outside match spots.

We'll see over time how things work out, but it seems that the increasing numbers of AMGs is more of an issue than Match rules.

USMLE Step 1 :SGU: 84.4 Ross: 69.7 All others: less
USMLE Step 2 CK: SGU: 79.7 Ross: 70.6 All other less
USMLE Step 2 CS: SGU 94.0 Ross: 90.9 All others less

USMLE passing %ages of 84.4 and 79.7 are not too great...and 69.7 and 70.6 is abysmal,considering that the pass rates on these exams are >90% for a US allopathic grad. However, there is more to passing rates than the "quality" of a school. I think the lower pass rates on these exams show that some of the students in the Caribbean schools were probably not well prepared, and/or not well equipped for medical school and that is why some of them could not get in to school in the U.S. That doesn't mean there aren't some excellent students down there, but it just shows that someone shouldn't just hop a plane and go to the Caribbean if he/she didn't get in to a US school right away...make sure that you are prepared and committed to doing what you need to do to be able to make it back up here for residency in the US...AND do your research on whatever school you decide to attend.

From someone familiar with allopathic U.S. medical school, this is confusing to me. My friends in U.S. schools mentioned that the in-house exams and curriculum was time-consuming, unhelpful, but much more difficult than the mini boards also given with the in-house exams and the actual board exams--at least if passing was the goal.
I always assumed that the Caribbean schools purposefully failed out many of its students for increasing seats and hence revenue--and that the remaining students that sit for the exam were getting high step board scores. However, the information above seems to say that the remaining Caribbean students that actually get to take the board test are still struggling. Were the students kicked out of school actually deserving from a studious point-of-view?

I am asking this question because I am trying to reserach information on the Caribbean. Is the reality that many of the students would have gotten kicked out of a U.S. school as well, or is the Caribbean much more difficult to pass from? (Those board scores are quite a bit lower than U.S. schools.)

In a nut shell: Though the Caribbean business model is unethical, a student that has a high GPA, say good enough to get into a D.O. school, would not have too much to worry?

Please give impartial answers, and this is not a post about the expertise of Caribbean trained folk. There are lots of scams these days with the unsound economy and lack of oversight. People need to help other people out.

From someone familiar with allopathic U.S. medical school, this is confusing to me. My friends in U.S. schools mentioned that the in-house exams and curriculum was time-consuming, unhelpful, but much more difficult than the mini boards also given with the in-house exams and the actual board exams--at least if passing was the goal.
I always assumed that the Caribbean schools purposefully failed out many of its students for increasing seats and hence revenue--and that the remaining students that sit for the exam were getting high step board scores. However, the information above seems to say that the remaining Caribbean students that actually get to take the board test are still struggling. Were the students kicked out of school actually deserving from a studious point-of-view?

I am asking this question because I am trying to reserach information on the Caribbean. Is the reality that many of the students would have gotten kicked out of a U.S. school as well, or is the Caribbean much more difficult to pass from? (Those board scores are quite a bit lower than U.S. schools.)

In a nut shell: Though the Caribbean business model is unethical, a student that has a high GPA, say good enough to get into a D.O. school, would not have too much to worry?

Please give impartial answers, and this is not a post about the expertise of Caribbean trained folk. There are lots of scams these days with the unsound economy and lack of oversight. People need to help other people out.

It largely depends on you, the student. The big 4 Caribbean schools are probably the best in terms of quality of education, but the onus is on you to succeed. If you put in the study time and don't get distracted, you will probably get through the program.

You are correct, Medstart108. But, I highly doubt that any Caribbean program graduates 1,400 students in any given year. There were about 550+ in my graduating class, and most either pre-matched or matched. Of course, that was 2005.

Now, how many should have graduated is a different matter altogther...

-Skip

It largely depends on you, the student. The big 4 Caribbean schools are probably the best in terms of quality of education, but the onus is on you to succeed. If you put in the study time and don't get distracted, you will probably get through the program.

Thanks for your reply. My question was: is the weeding out by the big four because students were subpar for the board exams, or was the weeding out merely a function of thinning out the herd for limited clinical positions third and fourth year-- and the low board scores of students from the big four a reflection of a curriculum which primary function was to thin out the herd? Why are the scores so low even with massive attrition rates?

Thanks for your reply. My question was: is the weeding out by the big four because students were subpar for the board exams, or was the weeding out merely a function of thinning out the herd for limited clinical positions third and fourth year-- and the low board scores of students from the big four a reflection of a curriculum which primary function was to thin out the herd? Why are the scores so low even with massive attrition rates?

I don't think it has anything to do with the school deliberately attempting to weed out students. The curriculum is essentially the same as any other med school and at mine, in particular, there was help available for students to succeed (i.e tutoring services, review sessions, etc...). The ones who studied hard and took advantage of the school's educational services succeeded and went on to graduate and match. The students who got weeded out probably shouldn't have been in any med school in the first place. We're talking about ones who had poor study habits in college and did not work to change them, or who did not quite have the aptitude or behavioral attributes necessary to succeed in medicine. No, I would say it was more a function of the students themselves, rather than the curriculum, which caused them to either drop out or fail out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it has anything to do with the school deliberately attempting to weed out students. The curriculum is essentially ...

This is purely anecdotal, as you would *never* get administration to cop to this -- but it's pretty universally agreed-upon by the student body that SGU intentionally weeds out students up through the 4th term. From my perspective finishing up my 2nd year here, I think the weeding out comes more from putting up with the unbelievable hoop-jumping, complete lack of communication from the departments, and abysmal teaching that goes on in second year. As you said, I think the material and curriculum is largely the same since they're both teaching to the Step exams. I wish I had more than n=1 sample size, had something to compare it to back in the US, because the jerking around that goes on down here just makes me want to quit the whole program some (most) days. I guess that's just part of the profession, though.

The students who got weeded out probably shouldn't have been in any med school in the first place

Most definitely true, I know a fair number of people who washed out entirely and it crushes me to know that they've saddled themselves with $40k in debt just to figure that out. Potential students need to take personal responsibility and self-evaluate, figure out if they're really capable and willing to put themselves through the program. But also, I think the school could be more upfront and transparent about the reality of coming down here. When I interviewed, I asked about the placement rates for competitive residencies, and everybody basically blew smoke up my ass that SGU grads can "pursue any specialty" without any further explanation. While they might generate big bucks now, those predatory recruitment policies are hurting the school's reputation in the long run. A pulse and a paycheck shouldn't be the only requirements for admission.

Wow. Very interesting data.

It appears, from a cursory glance, that pretty much across the board the graduates from St. George's in Grenada do the best in the Match, while Ross is a not-too-distant second.

Kind of corroborates what a lot of us already knew.

-Skip

Very very interesting. The match rate for Canadians is basically the same as the match rate for Americans. Outlook is very positive if you graduate from a western EU school as well. Thanks to whoever provided this.

Last edited:
I read the report, and would like to point one thing out. In the beginning, it notes that it considers a match successful if you matched to the specialty you ranked #1. For example, if your first 5 spots on your ROL are surgery, and #6 is IM, and you match to IM, it is considered "not matched" in the tables. This skews the data a little bit, in my opinion.

Wow. Very interesting data.

It appears, from a cursory glance, that pretty much across the board the graduates from St. George's in Grenada do the best in the Match, while Ross is a not-too-distant second.

Kind of corroborates what a lot of us already knew.

-Skip

Hi Skip,

I read many of your inspiring inputs on this site and was wondering if you managed to pay off all your debt already for Ross Medical School? This is one factor I am looking into. I just turned 23 and graduated with my Bachelors in Science in Biomedical Science August 2012 and also graduated with my Masters in Science in Managerial Science just this past September 2013. And while in school I was working full time 60-70+ hours 3-4 jobs just to pay off all my undergrad and masters off alone, no government help, no mom/dad help. And I was able to do so thank God. But my aspiration has always been to become a Doctor, so now I am focusing on my MCAT for this March hopefully doing well this time around as I have time to study now because I took it once already without studying at all thinking I knew everything right after my graduation in September 2013 scored a 12. So my question to you is, is it best to go into Ross Medical School or a Puerto Rican Medical School ? The factors I am thinking are the least debt if possible? If I save enough $ this year, I will possible have enough just for my housing/books/personal/flight expenses and just want to take out the minimum loans for school which is the tuition cost on their websites. A reason why I am interested in Ross is the accelerated track which sounds great only 4 semester on the island then miami or michigan then clinicals doesn't sound too bad but is around $200,000 total it seems in debt numbers taken off their website. While Puerto Rico medical school is the same as US school pace 2 years book work and 2 years clinical but total cost would be around $108,000 taken of their website and it's also considered a US school. I am half Korean, Half Mexican so I speak fluent Spanish which is required of a Puerto Rico school. If you were me as you already went through the experience which option do you think would be the best choice as your financial outlook now that you are already a doctor? I do not care about prestige names like Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc as I have friends who went to those schools for undergrad/grad school who get paid less then ME now and are in debts up the ass while I am here debt free to the choices I have made not listening to the *******es who say Prestige names will get them somewhere. Like your post say, as long as you do the work you will get the title as Doctor which I believe. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

What I never understood is yes, residency spots are a bit more difficult to obtain for IMGs, but most IMGs usually go into primary care whereas AMGs usually go for speciality fields

I have a feeling that in this forum and in a lot of minds, going into primary care is "frowned upon"

So my question to you is, is it best to go into Ross Medical School or a Puerto Rican Medical School ?

If I recall correctly, three of the four Puerto Rican schools are currently LCME accredited. So, if you go to one of those, it is not a fair comparison. You will not be considered a "foreign" graduate, and will not have the same regulatory problems that an ECFMG doctor has (not that they're terrible, just an extra PITA). So, all things being equal, going to a LCME accredited program in PR is a better choice.

To answer your other questions, I am a success story. I make a lot of money in a field that, although has its own issues and is getting "tighter" if you will, has a long history of providing one of the highest compensation:hassle ratios. Having said that, I could pay off my student loans right now if I wanted to. But, this is a better question for a financial planner than myself. Suffice it to say that there is a lot to consider (e.g., how long your loans are, what the interest rates are, how you amortize them over the length of the loan, etc.). My money not dedicated to my lifestyle (e.g., home, car payments, vacation travel, etc.) is currently earning me more through my investments rather than paying off my loan.

Primary care is not really frowned upon, per se. I think this perception is because, as of right now, these specialties are less lucrative overall. This may be changing, but I can also tell you that the "new paradigm" in practice management is to have corporations buy practices and essentially hire you back at a salary with little to no control over the daily aspects of running your practice. Some people like this; other people hate it. It all depends on what you want, what your life plans outside the hospital may be, where you want to practice, etc. In that regard, your pedigree will open doors in places that you otherwise might not be considered. Yes, some future employers are degree snobs. You will never get away from that. And, a lot of connections you make in residency will prove to be some of the most important ones... for the rest of your life!

I admire your work ethic. You will do well if you provide the same level of effort to your medical education. This is the "failure is not an option" mentality that shows success. I will tell you that it is admirable to pay-as-you-go, but having secured low interest rate loans that you can pay off over time is also a viable financial option provided you succeed in your field of endeavor.

-Skip

What I never understood is yes, residency spots are a bit more difficult to obtain for IMGs, but most IMGs usually go into primary care whereas AMGs usually go for speciality fields

I have a feeling that in this forum and in a lot of minds, going into primary care is "frowned upon"

Primary care is not frowned on. As a matter of fact, most American med schools are now encouraging their students to consider it as a career. Also, many family medicine residency programs offer sign-on bonuses to residency applicants who match into their program. The reason fewer students go into it is because there is less reimbursement than for specialty fields. Insurance companies would rather reimburse a physician for performing an invasive procedure or surgery than for providing counseling regarding diet, exercise, and smoking cessation, for instance. Because of this, NPs and PAs, who are less expensive, are now taking over the primary care field. Students need to be motivated to go into it if we don't wish for this trend to continue.

Just curious, if one was DEAD SET on Family Medicine, and didn't particularly care much where they did their residency, how much worse off are you at a "big 4" Caribbean school than a US MD/DO school? I've perused a few family medicine residency websites, and on most of them, at least half, if not more, of the residents were IMGs.

P.S. I'm still personally going to try get into a US school first, but was just curious if someone was dead set on FM and couldn't get into the US.

Just curious, if one was DEAD SET on Family Medicine, and didn't particularly care much where they did their residency, how much worse off are you at a "big 4" Caribbean school than a US MD/DO school? I've perused a few family medicine residency websites, and on most of them, at least half, if not more, of the residents were IMGs.

P.S. I'm still personally going to try get into a US school first, but was just curious if someone was dead set on FM and couldn't get into the US.

You'll probably only be disadvantaged a bit assuming you just want to be a family doc and you don't want or desire to go to a prestigious residency, but there still is a disadvantage. Someone from the Caribbean would probably have to work harder and study harder than the same US MD student for the same program.

Last edited:
I'd recommend avoiding med school in the Caribbean altogether and just go for DO. I know everyone wants MD, but career-wise this is a better move.

I'd recommend avoiding med school in the Caribbean altogether and just go for DO. I know everyone wants MD, but career-wise this is a better move.

Having participated in various types of forums for almost 20 years (including all the way back to bulletin boards and newsgroups), this is what we refer to in the parlance as a "drive by".

And, such posts (1) serve no real purpose in stimulating discussion, (2) are not based on anything but a solitary (and often not well-informed) opinion, and (3) are best ignored.

-Skip

Skip-

Good to "see" you on here. I remember you from the valuemd website from when I was on the island at Ross about ten years ago, I think you were a full year ahead of me. Seems like a lifetime ago everyone was worried about ACGME rotations, whether Family at Larkin was ACGME etc...pretty funny in retrospect. I'm all done as well and living the dream as well. Good times!

This is purely anecdotal, as you would *never* get administration to cop to this -- but it's pretty universally agreed-upon by the student body that SGU intentionally weeds out students up through the 4th term. From my perspective finishing up my 2nd year here, I think the weeding out comes more from putting up with the unbelievable hoop-jumping, complete lack of communication from the departments, and abysmal teaching that goes on in second year. As you said, I think the material and curriculum is largely the same since they're both teaching to the Step exams. I wish I had more than n=1 sample size, had something to compare it to back in the US, because the jerking around that goes on down here just makes me want to quit the whole program some (most) days. I guess that's just part of the profession, though.

Most definitely true, I know a fair number of people who washed out entirely and it crushes me to know that they've saddled themselves with $40k in debt just to figure that out. Potential students need to take personal responsibility and self-evaluate, figure out if they're really capable and willing to put themselves through the program. But also, I think the school could be more upfront and transparent about the reality of coming down here. When I interviewed, I asked about the placement rates for competitive residencies, and everybody basically blew smoke up my ass that SGU grads can "pursue any specialty" without any further explanation. While they might generate big bucks now, those predatory recruitment policies are hurting the school's reputation in the long run. A pulse and a paycheck shouldn't be the only requirements for admission.
Isn't SGU average MCAT 26, which is almost comparable to US DO schools... I don't think someone can get a 26 MCAT by the virtue that they have a beating heart....

Great question! I am personally dead set on FM as well and I DO NOT care where I will do my residency. I might not have the stats for US MD/DO, but I might be able to get into AUC (my top choice) with my 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA and 24 MCAT... Would that be a good move? I am in my mid 30s... I apply DO this cycle with no results...
You'll probably only be disadvantaged a bit assuming you just want to be a family doc and you don't want or desire to go to a prestigious residency, but there still is a disadvantage. Someone from the Caribbean would probably have to work harder and study harder than the same US MD student for the same program.
What say you Medstart108?

Last edited:
Isn't SGU average MCAT 26, which is almost comparable to US DO schools... I don't think someone can get a 26 MCAT by the virtue that they have a beating heart....

Well, first off you need to recognize that the schools probably massage those statistics to the point where they don't mean much. I highly doubt they include the AEP program, etc. But I think more importantly, they don't give you the distribution of those scores. I guarantee you that the distribution for a Caribbean school is much much wider than at a US school. I scored in the 30's on my MCAT and I'm an SGU student. I've talked to many of my classmates and I know a few people that scored in the 20-22 range. I know of at least two people that scored >35 and chose to go down here because they're not US citizens and want to practice in the US. The situations of students that come down here are much more varied than those in the US. Virtually no one has gone the "traditional" route. My point, however, is that the school will accept students that they know statistically will have a very high chance of failure, all the while telling them that they can do anything when they graduate. While technically true, after having gone through the BS program I feel like their recruitment practices are somewhat deceptive.

Well, first off you need to recognize that the schools probably massage those statistics to the point where they don't mean much. I highly doubt they include the AEP program, etc. But I think more importantly, they don't give you the distribution of those scores. I guarantee you that the distribution for a Caribbean school is much much wider than at a US school. I scored in the 30's on my MCAT and I'm an SGU student. I've talked to many of my classmates and I know a few people that scored in the 20-22 range. I know of at least two people that scored >35 and chose to go down here because they're not US citizens and want to practice in the US. The situations of students that come down here are much more varied than those in the US. Virtually no one has gone the "traditional" route. My point, however, is that the school will accept students that they know statistically will have a very high chance of failure, all the while telling them that they can do anything when they graduate. While technically true, after having gone through the BS program I feel like their recruitment practices are somewhat deceptive.
Good point. I've seen some Canadians attend SGU/Ross/AUC with insane stats (3.7+ GPA, 30+ MCAT) and simply go to the Caribbean because getting into Canadian med schools is incredibly competitive.

Great question! I am personally dead set on FM as well and I DO NOT care where I will do my residency. I might not have the stats for US MD/DO, but I might be able to get into AUC (my top choice) with my 3.2 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA and 24 MCAT... Would that be a good move? I am in my mid 30s... I apply DO this cycle with no results...

What say you Medstart108?

I think you would be a good candidate for the Caribbean, preferably your first choice school.

I don't think it has anything to do with the school deliberately attempting to weed out students. The curriculum is essentially the same as any other med school and at mine, in particular, there was help available for students to succeed (i.e tutoring services, review sessions, etc...). The ones who studied hard and took advantage of the school's educational services succeeded and went on to graduate and match. The students who got weeded out probably shouldn't have been in any med school in the first place. We're talking about ones who had poor study habits in college and did not work to change them, or who did not quite have the aptitude or behavioral attributes necessary to succeed in medicine. No, I would say it was more a function of the students themselves, rather than the curriculum, which caused them to either drop out or fail out.

My knowledge is that U.S. schools go way above and beyond what is needed for the board, with most students feeling like the board was another test altogether. Given the large extra packed into medical education, teaching to the test may not be that bad.

Might be useful:

http://b83c73bcf0e7ca356c80-e8560f4...tional-Medical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf

While it doesn't break the matches up by school (only by island/country), you could probably extrapolate a decent amount from it, given that some islands have only 1-2 schools on them.

For example, US-IMGs from Saba had ~51% match rate (Non-US IMGs-most likely Canadians-from Saba fared better with a 70% match rate), Dominica had ~55% match rate for US-IMGs, Sint Maarten had a 61% match rate for US-IMGs, and Grenada had a 67% match rate for US-IMGs.

Last edited: