Top Caribbean medical schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dotdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know what are the top Caribbean medical schools. I know about St Georges and Ross, I also heard about Saint Matthews not sure if its considered top Caribbean school or not? Any other Caribbean schools which are considered top ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I would like to know what are the top Caribbean medical schools. I know about St Georges and Ross, I also heard about Saint Matthews not sure if its considered top Caribbean school or not? Any other Caribbean schools which are considered top ones?

OMG this is posted to Death! No such thing as a "Top Caribbean School"

Just if they are accepted in all 50 States or not?

SGU, AUC, Ross and SABA are the "big four" Accepted in all 50 states.

the rest are not, this includes SMU, they do have NY approval for clinicals though.

I think as my opinion SGU, Ross and AUC are the best in that order.:luck:

the rest are not, this includes SMU, they do have NY approval for clinicals though.

Old pro-RELAX! To answer the question yes there is such a thing as the top carib schools. SGU is far superior to the others. The main reason is that SGU has about 12 clinical center for 3rd and 4th year. The first 2 years of medical school prepare you to take step 1. Most of the programs in the islands will do enough to prepare you, that is if you take a course like Kaplan and give yourself about 2 months to prepare. The most important thing to get a residency is your performance during 3rd and 4th year. SGU has 12 clinical centers. The term clinical center simply means that you can do all your core rotations in one hospital during 3rd year. So you dont have to move 4 times in one year to a new hospital. Being in one hospital allows you to build relationships with attendings so that you can get that letter of rec or impress them enough to be asked to sign out of the match and go straight into a residency.

During fourth year youll be traveling for interviews and elective rotations so youll have enough of that then. Go to a school that will set you up for victory for your residency. Plus SGU is gorgeous and really takes care of its students.

ROSS, SABA, and AUC are all good school but none of them have not even one clinical center. When third year comes around it can become quite a nightmare.

All the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses just few more questions:

1)Why are SGU, AUC, Ross and SABA called top 4 is it only because they are Accepted in all 50 states and other schools are not?
2)What dose it mean if school is accepted in all 50 states? Dose it mean if school is not accepted in certain states I will not be able to get residency in that states or as an MD I will not be able to practice medicine in that state later on?
3)When I say top school I mean being able to get as much of residency choices as possible after graduation since I heard that after some Caribbean schools its almost impossible to get residency in US.

ROSS, SABA, and AUC are all good school but none of them have not even one clinical center. When third year comes around it can become quite a nightmare.
I would like to make one correction - AUC does have what you call "clinical centers" where you can do all your 3rd yr cores as well as your entire 4th yr if you wish...I was at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, CA for all of my clerkships, except for one which I personally chose to do elsewhere. I believe Providence Hospital in Southfield, MI is also one of our "clinical centers". There may be others I am not aware of. Ross and Saba people, please make appropriate corrections as well.

Hi,
Ranking the schools can be biased, as evident in OBfan's post, but I would still agree that SGU is the best, followed by AUC and Ross, in no particular order. These 3 were all founded in the late 1970s and thus should be well-established in the medical community.

I would like to make one correction - AUC does have what you call "clinical centers" where you can do all your 3rd yr cores as well as your entire 4th yr if you wish...I was at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield, CA for all of my clerkships, except for one which I personally chose to do elsewhere. I believe Providence Hospital in Southfield, MI is also one of our "clinical centers". There may be others I am not aware of. Ross and Saba people, please make appropriate corrections as well.

Thanks for the update. I stand corrected. But I'm glad to know that AUC has a clinical center and hopefully will have more in the future!

All the best!

Old pro-RELAX! To answer the question yes there is such a thing as the top carib schools. SGU is far superior to the others. The main reason is that SGU has about 12 clinical center for 3rd and 4th year. The first 2 years of medical school prepare you to take step 1. Most of the programs in the islands will do enough to prepare you, that is if you take a course like Kaplan and give yourself about 2 months to prepare. The most important thing to get a residency is your performance during 3rd and 4th year. SGU has 12 clinical centers. The term clinical center simply means that you can do all your core rotations in one hospital during 3rd year. So you dont have to move 4 times in one year to a new hospital. Being in one hospital allows you to build relationships with attendings so that you can get that letter of rec or impress them enough to be asked to sign out of the match and go straight into a residency.

During fourth year youll be traveling for interviews and elective rotations so youll have enough of that then. Go to a school that will set you up for victory for your residency. Plus SGU is gorgeous and really takes care of its students.

All the best!

Funny I attend a Caribbean Medical school and it also has about 5 such centers where all 3rd and 4th year can be done at green book hospitals?
(In fact I'm already set up in such a place)
My school also prepares you for the USLME they compel everyone to take Kaplan review for the USLME instead of the school doing a half arse job of teaching review , So how does that make it a "top school?" I think you have to clarify what a "TOP School" is I do not think of any school in the Caribbean as such since most just provide only the Minimum to get by, Nothing in comapared to the "Top Schools" In the USA. You would never compare SGU to lets say Hopkins right?

I do think SGU is one of the best Caribbean schools but ANY USA Medical school still may be better.:eek:

Thanks for your responses just few more questions:

1)Why are SGU, AUC, Ross and SABA called top 4 is it only because they are Accepted in all 50 states and other schools are not?
2)What dose it mean if school is accepted in all 50 states? Dose it mean if school is not accepted in certain states I will not be able to get residency in that states or as an MD I will not be able to practice medicine in that state later on?
3)When I say top school I mean being able to get as much of residency choices as possible after graduation since I heard that after some Caribbean schools its almost impossible to get residency in US.

This is the problem of asking current students of a school, they become "CHeerleaders" for the school.

1. SGU, AUC, Ross and Saba have been approved so that thier grads can get a full Lic in the states who have a list like California and Texas and states who follow the California list, they have been opened for more than 15 years hence the Kansas Rule, the rest of the US states just look to see if the school is listed with WHO, ECMFG and IMED. then it is case by case basis. So going to any medical school outside the US has a degree of risk but it is small.

3. There are residency programs ( a few ) who will not accept Foriegn medical Grads. But mostly your step one score is the most important thing the higher the better. It may be harder to get a residency from some schools due to problems you may have if you do not study for step one and get a good score. that means more than the school because to some people in the US a carribean school is a caribbean school. they dont care what it is called.

That all said SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba have a good track record, better than my school, but even from my school (SJMS) our grads are in Cook County and even Radiology residency this past year. The step one score got them there. :luck:

Hello, if there is anyone who can give me sincere counsel please help me out.

I got into St. James School of Medicine but I came across Windsor University School of Medicine. Windsor seems to offer more services like dorm, transportation, books and USMLE preparation help. I am confused however sicne I heard Windsor isn't really a "good" school. IF there is anyone that can help me out in deciding what is better for me, please do so.

Thanks

SGU is without a doubt the top Caribbean school. But do not take my word for it. There was a study done on first time pass rates from Caribbean schools:

Acad Med. 2008;83(10 Suppl):S33-S36

They looked at each country in the Caribbean (Grenada = SGU, Dominca = Ross) that has a medical school. Over the last 15 years, first time USMLE Step 1 pass rates (%) and first time USMLE Step 2 CK pass rates (%), and first time USMLE Step 2 CS pass rates (%) have been reported.

USMLE Step 1 :SGU: 84.4 Ross: 69.7 All others: less
USMLE Step 2 CK: SGU: 79.7 Ross: 70.6 All other less
USMLE Step 2 CS: SGU 94.0 Ross: 90.9 All others less

I should note that when I say "all others" I am referring to all the other ones that US students consider when going to the Carribean (St. Matthews, Saba, AUC, etc..).

I should also note that according to SGU, over the last 10 years SGU has a first time USMLE Step one pass rate of 90 percent. One year SGU actually beat the US average!

So between these stats, and SGU's low attrition rate, how could you not say they are the top Caribbean school?

Last edited:
Edited - sick of blustering fools.

Last edited:

I Agree here with oldpro!!! Congrats man final year!!!

Oldpro and McGillGrad keep up the good work. Hopefully next year both of guys will match into your top choice programs. Aim in!

You guys do a very commendable job indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it false information? Did you go and read the study? I would encourage you to do that. You can try and take cheap shots at me all day, but the facts are facts. Those 6 schools there COMBINED are no better than any other school. Ross is the only school in Dominca thus far that has put people in clinicals (there is another school in Dominca that is very new). So like I said Grenada is SGU, Ross is Dominca. Notice I never said Saba is this or AUC is that? The fact that I gave you the journal to go and read it yourself is me just posting what is out there. I am not posting false info. Nice try though.

You do realize that other people can see the full study and find out that you are lying and making up information, right?

You need to stop making yourself look like a fool by posting blatantly false information.

No one is going to take you seriously if you continue this.

SGU is never named because they use countries as their basis for data extrapolation. That is what makes this study invalid when comparing Grenada (one school on the island) with AUC (combined with 6 other schools in the Netherland Antilles).

How did you ever pass your boards?:laugh:

First off, yes I have a copy of the study and have read the entire paper.

I believe the confusion here stems with Wet Coma's reference to SGU vs. Ross vs. "all others". McGill is correct in that one cannot infer the standings of individual schools on islands which have multiple schools, so we do not know, in fact, how institutions such as AUC or SABA compare to SGU. It seemed to me like the initial post presenting the study implied that all schools had been compared individually (rather than some grouped as averages), due to the line below:
I should note that when I say "all others" I am referring to all the other ones that US students consider when going to the Carribean (St. Matthews, Saba, AUC, etc..).
I'm not trying to put SGU down - I think it's a very strong Caribbean school, but it's also important to look at the limitations of the study due to the way the researchers were forced to analyze the data (by country rather than by school). I do think though the study shines a positive light on SGU's record, but I don't think people can specifically conclude much about individual Carib schools other just Ross vs. SGU.

My two cents.

USMLE Step 1 :SGU: 84.4 Ross: 69.7 All others: less
USMLE Step 2 CK: SGU: 79.7 Ross: 70.6 All other less
USMLE Step 2 CS: SGU 94.0 Ross: 90.9 All others less

USMLE passing %ages of 84.4 and 79.7 are not too great...and 69.7 and 70.6 is abysmal,considering that the pass rates on these exams are >90% for a US allopathic grad. However, there is more to passing rates than the "quality" of a school. I think the lower pass rates on these exams show that some of the students in the Caribbean schools were probably not well prepared, and/or not well equipped for medical school and that is why some of them could not get in to school in the U.S. That doesn't mean there aren't some excellent students down there, but it just shows that someone shouldn't just hop a plane and go to the Caribbean if he/she didn't get in to a US school right away...make sure that you are prepared and committed to doing what you need to do to be able to make it back up here for residency in the US...AND do your research on whatever school you decide to attend.

How is it false information? Did you go and read the study? I would encourage you to do that. You can try and take cheap shots at me all day, but the facts are facts. Those 6 schools there COMBINED are no better than any other school. Ross is the only school in Dominca thus far that has put people in clinicals (there is another school in Dominca that is very new). So like I said Grenada is SGU, Ross is Dominca. Notice I never said Saba is this or AUC is that? The fact that I gave you the journal to go and read it yourself is me just posting what is out there. I am not posting false info. Nice try though.

isnt "American International School of Medicine" also in Grenada??

You do realize that other people can see the full study and find out that you are lying and making up information, right?

You need to stop making yourself look like a fool by posting blatantly false information.

No one is going to take you seriously if you continue this.

SGU is never named because they use countries as their basis for data extrapolation. That is what makes this study invalid when comparing Grenada (one school on the island) with AUC (combined with 6 other schools in the Netherland Antilles).

How did you ever pass your boards?:laugh:

I enjoy reading mgills posts, he always exposes the truth as well as makes my laugh.

Hello, if there is anyone who can give me sincere counsel please help me out.

I got into St. James School of Medicine but I came across Windsor University School of Medicine. Windsor seems to offer more services like dorm, transportation, books and USMLE preparation help. I am confused however sicne I heard Windsor isn't really a "good" school. IF there is anyone that can help me out in deciding what is better for me, please do so.

Thanks

hi im not sure when u posted this but im currently a 3rd year medical student in pakistan looking for a transfer to a caribbean medical school. ive head abt windsor. good and bad. not sure where to apply..im thinking windsor, or xavier..
st james is not even in faimer
any help?

My first suggestion for you is to uncover some answers on your own.
I suggest you search this forum for threads on Windsor university. In addition, search the Windsor University forums on valuemd.com.

You will find that this is not a good option for you if you are looking for transfer. There are many reasons and off the top of my head, I can think of one: There are a lot of issues with the leadership at Windsor University for which the school has received lots of bad press recently. In short their owner may have been part of a fraudulent loan scandal.

Please look elsewhere for transfer. But most importantly do your research before moving.

rlxdmd

ok what abt st matthews. the thing is that most schools require MCAT or premed studies and i have neither. ive only done 2 years of med school so chances of me getting into a good school are slightly slim

Continue your studies where you currently are enrolled. You can take part in the Match with a medical degree from anywhere in the world. You simply need to become ECFMG certified.
Why are you interested in transferrring?

rlxdmd

you have a point. im thinking of a transfer because then i get to do clinical rotations in US and maybe boost my chances of a residency..also some schools have step 1 classes for students

SGU is without a doubt the top Caribbean school. But do not take my word for it. There was a study done on first time pass rates from Caribbean schools

So between these stats, and SGU's low attrition rate, how could you not say they are the top Caribbean school?

The study is for 2 Caribbean schools... the rest of the info is an average of 6 schools in the Netherlands Antilles. (Which is also considered in the Caribbean)

Its false information because when you "combine" schools the average gets dragged down... its not additive... (Btw, the 1st time pass rate for step 1 at AUC From Jan 2009 - Sept 2009 is 93%.)

You said that SGU is the superior school in the Caribbean... which I am not doubting... but your study does not indicate that.

Your study only indicates that SGU is superior to Ross.

Last edited:
http://www.avalonu.org

imgres

imgres

Attachments

• curacao.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 70
  • abc_slideshow_010p.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 68
I'm about to start at one of the <a href="http://www.umhs-sk.org">Top Caribbean Medical Schools</a>, UMHS St. Kitts. Not only are they accredited, but your fifth semester is actually in the states, on their Portland, Maine campus. They have a really great program and I can't wait to get started.

I'm about to start at one of the <a href="http://www.umhs-sk.org">Top Caribbean Medical Schools</a>, UMHS St. Kitts. Not only are they accredited, but your fifth semester is actually in the states, on their Portland, Maine campus. They have a really great program and I can't wait to get started.

Please tell me more.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

hate to break it to you but not too many people would consider UMHS a "top" carib school. in fact they're not even accredited by all 50 states. the only schools that are, are SGU, ROSS, AUC and SABA.

I don't know how reliable 1st time pass rates are in terms gauging a school's performance. For one thing Ross now has the policy that you must first pass the "comp" test before you are even allowed to sit for the step 1. This way they can ensure a high 1st time pass rate because they will fail out those who weren't going to pass anyways.

That being said, I don't feel the choice of schools will influence your step scores that much since its mostly about how hard you study. And in the end all IMGs are pretty much the same when it comes to match.

*full disclosure: i am currently a Ross student and yes, our administration is horrendous. But your fellow students are great and a backwards island is somewhat conducive to studying by giving you no options to go out.....

For one thing Ross now has the policy that you must first pass the "comp" test before you are even allowed to sit for the step 1.

This is not a new policy. This is the same policy that was in place at the end of 2002 when I was finishing-up the pre-clinical didactic portion on the island. And, trust me, conditions for current students are far better than they were when I was there 10 years ago.

And in the end all IMGs are pretty much the same when it comes to match.

Patently untrue.

Each school has a track record. The graduates that have gone on to do residencies before you have represented the school you're graduating from. They, in essence, have been instrumental in paving the sidewalk onto which you'll soon be stepping.

If the program takes a gamble on a grad from a Carib school (or elsewhere), and that person is disappointing fundamentally and clinically, then they are less likely to draw from that same well in the future.

There is a saying, "once is chance, twice a coincidence, thrice a pattern." Future residency applicants from schools that have a pattern of producing crappy grads that aren't ready for residency will not make it very far when it comes time to vie for residency.

Don't believe me? Pick a crappy school and roll the dice.

But your fellow students are great and a backwards island is somewhat conducive to studying by giving you no options to go out.....

Isn't that the point? You're not there to party. (Although, some of the post-mini parties we had were a blast.)

-Skip

Don't believe me? Pick a crappy school and roll the dice.

-Skip

What are examples of crappy schools in the Carribean?

I am only asking because it could save some people some misery years down the road in the future by avoiding these places if they have difficulty finding residency spots. :scared:

What are examples of crappy schools in the Carribean?

I am only asking because it could save some people some misery years down the road in the future by avoiding these places if they have difficulty finding residency spots. :scared:

I think there is a pretty exhaustive discussion of this already on this forum.

Suffice it to say, if you can't get a medical license in all 50 states, I would seriously consider choosing that school. After you're done, you never know where life will take you.

If the school you're applying to either hedges or won't answer when asked this question, then trust the answer to be "no". But, don't take their word for it either, because I wouldn't put it past some of the more disreputable ones to lie to you.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, they all want your money. You just need to be sure that, for your money, you are (1) getting a good education, and (2) not screwing yourself for the future.

There are plenty of schools out there who can't do #1 and will definitely allow you to do #2.

-Skip

Here, for example, is place to crosscheck a school in question, if you're ever remotely thinking about California as a place to practice in the future:

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

Remember: you can never get a permanent, unrestricted license in California unless your school is recognized on this list.

Notice, for example, that AUA in Antigua is only approved if you attended AFTER 1/1/2007. If you went there before, you could try to petition the state but it is likely that you would have to repeat some of the basic medical science curriculum in order to get your license. And, that would suck... ten years from now... after finishing residency and being in practice in another state... if your wife or husband got a job there and needed to move.

You follow?

-Skip

Lets say your an IMG, you finished you dream residency and are now an attending. What limitations do you have in comparison to an AMG attending in the same specialty?

Just trying to figure out what/if anything there is in the long run that will be unattainable by an attending IMG. Fellowships, ability to start private practice, personal parking spot, e.c.t what?

Right, wrong, or indifferent, they all want your money. You just need to be sure that, for your money, you are (1) getting a good education, and (2) not screwing yourself for the future.

-Skip

This is a very typical criticism of Caribbean medical schools, and its one that I frankly don't really get. I'd make 2 points in response:
1) Anyone can find out easily which Carib schools are reputable and which are not. The fact is that people still criticize even Carib schools with a good reputation like SGU and Ross as being nothing but money-grubbing diploma factories, which brings me to point number . . .

2) If a school like Ross or SGU can pass large number of students with good grades and high USMLE scores, that can and do get into residencies in all 50 states, then like it or not they ARE valid alternatives to a US school. Yet when faced with these facts, Carib-school-bashers usually default to saying things like "Carib school X is only interested in your money". And how exactly is that different from any US school? Are US medical schools training students for free? Or out of the goodness of their hearts? Because they honestly want to fulfill a societal need? Don't kid yourself; US medical schools charge tuition too, and they only exist because training medical students earns a profit for the university. That, and they increase the prestige/reputation of the university, which brings in more $$$ as well in the form of alumni donations.

Don't kid yourself; US medical schools charge tuition too, and they only exist because training medical students earns a profit for the university.

Facts:

(1) I went to Ross, graduated, finished residency, became board-certified in my specialty, and am making a ton of money. They delivered for me.

(2) A substantial number of Ross students (and people attending other Carib schools) fail/drop out and are left with huge debt, many of whom don't repay it in a timely manner... or at all.

(3) Most medical schools in the U.S. operate on thin margins and do not make a profit, as you assert, from student tuition.

(4) Ross University, a division of DeVry University, is the most profitable education model in the world. Period. This has garnered the attention of many people, including the U.S. Department of Education and Congress, because of the default rate and FFEL-approved status (see #(2) above).

All I'm saying is this: choose wisely and know what you are getting yourself into.

-Skip

This is a very typical criticism of Caribbean medical schools, and its one that I frankly don't really get. I'd make 2 points in response:
1) Anyone can find out easily which Carib schools are reputable and which are not. The fact is that people still criticize even Carib schools with a good reputation like SGU and Ross as being nothing but money-grubbing diploma factories, which brings me to point number . . .

2) If a school like Ross or SGU can pass large number of students with good grades and high USMLE scores, that can and do get into residencies in all 50 states, then like it or not they ARE valid alternatives to a US school. Yet when faced with these facts, Carib-school-bashers usually default to saying things like "Carib school X is only interested in your money". And how exactly is that different from any US school? Are US medical schools training students for free? Or out of the goodness of their hearts? Because they honestly want to fulfill a societal need? Don't kid yourself; US medical schools charge tuition too, and they only exist because training medical students earns a profit for the university. That, and they increase the prestige/reputation of the university, which brings in more $$$ as well in the form of alumni donations.

Is that why the largest medical school class in the US is half the size of Ross? Or is that just you speaking out of your ass?

All the best!

What about the University of Sint Eustatius School of Medicine?? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

According to AUC: American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) has just recorded the 1st time past rate for all students who sat for the USMLE Step 1 Exam through July 20, 2012 and the news is remarkable. 98% of AUC students passed Step 1 on their first attempt achieving a mean score of 223 (± 19.). If true, pretty impressive.

According to AUC: American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) has just recorded the 1st time past rate for all students who sat for the USMLE Step 1 Exam through July 20, 2012 and the news is remarkable. 98% of AUC students passed Step 1 on their first attempt achieving a mean score of 223 (± 19.). If true, pretty impressive.

As with most of the Caribbean schools, this likely only tells part of the story. Accepting the above statement at face value, I'd be more interested in the number of matriculates out of that particular starting class who were allowed to sit for the exam.

As Benjamin Disraeli once said, "There are only three types of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

-Skip

What about schools like Xavier, St. Matthews, and St. James. Ok so they aren't accreditted in all 50 states, but Id be happy practicising in the United States. And I'm assuming they'd be accreditted in like 90% of the US states, am I correct? Or where can I find this information besides calling the school because I wouldn't necessarily trust them.

What about schools like Xavier, St. Matthews, and St. James. Ok so they aren't accreditted in all 50 states, but Id be happy practicising in the United States. And I'm assuming they'd be accreditted in like 90% of the US states, am I correct? Or where can I find this information besides calling the school because I wouldn't necessarily trust them.

Listen to yourself. Are you really, seriously going to consider matriculating in a school you don't inherently trust?

:confused:

-Skip

There are actually 12 or 13 states that use the CA list for their medical licensure, so... the the other schools are accredited in closer to ~75% of the US states. Personally, I'd say if you can help it, don't go to a school that does not have CA approval. If you can't get into any of those schools, then you could choose from a ton of Caribbean and other International medical schools.

Hi,

Hi

You may also check Spartan Medical College @ spartammed.org

The college is good and well accepted in the US. The class room size is small so you get more focus which some consider to be a good thing; including me.

Their details are given below (from their website)

Spartan Health Sciences University
School of Medicine
PO Box 324
Vieux Fort, St Lucia, West Indies
Phone: (718) 841-7660
(758) 454-6128
Fax: (758) 454-6811
Email:[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
During weekends and after office hours contact St.Lucia at:
Phone: (758) 286-3002
(758) 460-9519
(758) 717-9511

Wouldn''t the best and most objective data be to just look at the match rates for each school, and then look at exactly where they are matching? That would take into account the overall picture, step 1, step 2, preparedness for residency, etc..

Wouldn''t the best and most objective data be to just look at the match rates for each school, and then look at exactly where they are matching? That would take into account the overall picture, step 1, step 2, preparedness for residency, etc..

The thing is the schools don't release how many people matriculate, how many graduate so you don't know what % of people who graduated matched.

They will list 140 matches, but you don't know if that year 142 people graduated or 1400.

People have already looked at it and determined that the big 4 are the best.