TOP Canadian Medical Schools and how to begin application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nihitmehta

Osteopathic Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about going to a Canadian Medical schools. What are some of the top Canadian Med schools? and how does one begin applying for them?

My Stats are
3.58 Sci GPA
3.66 Cumalative GPA
31 MCAT (11 Verbal, 10 and 10 Bio and Physical Science)

Members don't see this ad.

I am seriously thinking about going to a Canadian Medical schools. What are some of the top Canadian Med schools? and how does one begin applying for them?

My Stats are
3.58 Sci GPA
3.66 Cumalative GPA

Apply to only Mcgill. Because they have spots for americans. But seriously? why would you want to go to a Canadian school. Those stats are good enough to get into an instate school at home.

Reactions: 1 user
And not even close to good enough to get into a Canadian school. I was rejected pre-interview from both of my in province (Alberta) schools with a 3.6/31T.

Edit: To lend a hand, at the University of Alberta, for the class of 2013, mean GPA was 3.88 and mean MCAT was 33.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

My Stats are
3.58 Sci GPA
3.66 Cumalative GPA

You won't get into Canadian schools. Canadian schools are very tough, all of them have stats around the level of the top tier US medical schools.

But for reference the top Canadian medical schools generally are:

1. University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine
2. McGill University, Faculty of Medicine
3. McMaster University DeGroote School of Medicine
4. University of British Columbia, Faculty of Medicine
5. Western University Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
6. University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine
7. University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine

Last edited:
You won't get into Canadian schools. Canadian schools are very tough, all of them have stats around the level of the top tier US medical schools.

They might actually be harder. They purely look at numbers. If you do not meet cut offs often you not even looked at (as high as 3.8 and 34 with a mandatory 10, 10, 10 split.)

Its sad because they miss out on very good doctors. I respect someone more if they were single parent and had respectable stats (Say stats like yours) than someone who is single, never did anything in the world and achieved a high score. I am the latter so I can say that.

My american medical school had tons of the former, and they are some of the best and smartest doctors I have met.

But for reference the top Canadian medical schools generally are:

1. University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine
2. McGill University, Faculty of Medicine
3. McMaster University DeGroote School of Medicine
4. University of British Columbia, Faculty of Medicine
5. Western University Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
6. University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine
7. University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine

List is completely off

1) McGill 2) U of T 3) U BC 4) U Alberta ... the rest really don't register -- ottawa in particular.

List is completely off

1) McGill 2) U of T 3) U BC 4) U Alberta ... the rest really don't register -- ottawa in particular.

I would rank Uoft over Mcgill because of the opportunities in a big health care network of Ontario. Quebec's health care system is declining mainly because it is under funded. The hospitals (in terms of technology) in Quebec cannot come close to the ones in Ontario. As per reputation internationally McGill has a bigger reputation because of it's history, but right now UofT hands down is a better medical school than McGill. It's not even close.

List is completely off

Yeah I would also rank UofT over McGill precisely because of the sheer amount of funding that UofT is awash in. It is the only medical school in Toronto which has 6 million people, has over 12 teaching hospitals, a Life Sciences research district. A huge chunk of the top research hospitals by funding are in Toronto.

I put McMaster up there because it is a very top medical school. Its been ranked I believe 14th in the World and top in Canada by QS World Rankings. They invented the MMI and PBL which is used in medical schools around the world. The school's best department is its medicine department.

Western also is up there because it has a pretty significant medical school and a big portion of its funding does go to its medical school. Its produced a number of Canada's famous physician scientists as well.

I put Ottawa at 7th because of the fact that Ottawa has some very well funded hospitals as well as the Ottawa Heart Institute, overall a great medical school.

I have done both my Masters and BSc at U of T so I feel qualified to give my opinion. I am also a dual citizen which means I have seen US institutions as well.

I see your points about U of T medical institutions. They have a great research institute and have the best equipment in Canada. If those are the criteria, then U of T wins over McGill -- especially with its 1.5 billion dollar endowment. Many argue, including Mclean's rankings, that McGill has a better doctorate program.

Lastly, McMaster is an innovative program with MMI and PBL but their instutions are largely "ok" and their residents are largely criticized for having large gaps in their knowledge.

Secondly, I will state with good confidence that aside U of T and McGill that the majority of Canadians medical schools are like US state schools. U of T and McGill could crack the top 20 in the US but there's still a degree of uncertainty.

I have done both my Masters and BSc at U of T so I feel qualified to give my opinion. I am also a dual citizen which means I have seen US institutions as well.

I see your points about U of T medical institutions. They have a great research institute and have the best equipment in Canada. If those are the criteria, then U of T wins over McGill -- especially with its 1.5 billion dollar endowment. Many argue, including Mclean's rankings, that McGill has a better doctorate program.

Lastly, McMaster is an innovative program with MMI and PBL but their instutions are largely "ok" and their residents are largely criticized for having large gaps in their knowledge.

Secondly, I will state with good confidence that aside U of T and McGill that the majority of Canadians medical schools are like US state schools. U of T and McGill could crack the top 20 in the US but there's still a degree of uncertainty.

I agree that McGill would be great, but McGill reserves most of its spots for Quebec residents which limits competition. UofT doesn't restrict spots and so thats why I feel UofT is probably more competitive because it gets applications from all over Canada.

I think if i were to revise it I would switch Alberta and Western.

List is completely off

I'd go with this list, except with UofT over McGill, and probably McMaster at #5.

McGill has a great international reputation and history, but the hospitals it relies on are in decline as already mentioned, and frankly I feel that it mostly limiting itself to Quebec residents has caused the quality of its student body to suffer.

McMaster does quite a bit of medical research, but I've heard some bad things about its graduates. I feel that they are too quick to implement new ideas to their medical school, without properly establishing effectiveness.

Hmm. Hopefully no one minds me reviving an old thread but this is applicable to me. I'm interested a Canadian MD/PhD program (probably more so at UofT than McGill, but I'm interested in both). I'll still be applying to US schools, but I'm intrigued by what I've read of the Canadian application process and thought I should consider applying.
I have a bit better stats than OP:
cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.89
MCAT (estimated): 33-37
I haven't taken the official MCAT yet, sorry, so feel free to expand my estimate as you see fit in your mind. :)

Do these schools have a pseudo to full rolling admissions process like many American schools? I know it's possible to get into the MD program (though difficult) but is it possible, from what you know, to get into their MD-PhD programs?

you must have romantic illusions of what Canada and Canadians are like...unfortunately the reality in Canada is that there is no equality and people are grouped and ranked on citizenship and residency. You honestly have no hope of getting into any Canadian medical school as Canadian medical school only accept applicants who are citizens of Canada and a resident of a Province. You should save your money and time. Same criteria go for residencies. Compared to the US, Canadian Phd/ research resources and infrastructure are horrible. Believe me the grass is not greener on the other side. You don't know how good you have it in the US with the resources and opportunities available.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I don't think Canada has a "horrible" infrastructure. Stats like a 3.9 and 33-37 MCAT should tell the questioner to look at U S schools. Let's say you got into UWO's MD/PhD program (purely hypothetical), then it would still pale in comparison to schools like NorthWestern or Emory.

People go to Canada for medicine because it pays relatively well and it's a single payer system.

I don't know why I'm replying, but I'm waiting for a ride to dinner...

Hmm. Hopefully no one minds me reviving an old thread but this is applicable to me. I'm interested a Canadian MD/PhD program (probably more so at UofT than McGill, but I'm interested in both). I'll still be applying to US schools, but I'm intrigued by what I've read of the Canadian application process and thought I should consider applying.
I have a bit better stats than OP:
cGPA: 3.93
sGPA: 3.89
MCAT (estimated): 33-37
I haven't taken the official MCAT yet, sorry, so feel free to expand my estimate as you see fit in your mind. :)

Do these schools have a pseudo to full rolling admissions process like many American schools? I know it's possible to get into the MD program (though difficult) but is it possible, from what you know, to get into their MD-PhD programs?

Are you an American applicant? There are very, very limited spots for non-Canadians, and I'm not sure there are any at UofT on a regular basis. Canadian schools do not use any rolling admissions process.

Certainly the research resources and infrastructure are not "horrible" at UofT, but you'd do well to consider a PhD in the context of your career goals. If you're interested in an academic career as a clinician-scientist, a graduate degree would be better pursued during residency.

Thanks for the responses.

We used to vacation in Canada and the vast majority of people were quite friendly. I intend to return to the US for residency, as I've heard it's near impossible to get into a Canadian one, and to practice.

I really would be only looking at UofT (and possibly McGill) which have 7 and 3-4, respectively, spots for international (including US) students. From what I understand, those particular schools are more in line with Ivy or just outside of Ivy caliber (I may be wrong, though). One of my profs went to UofT and is will to put in a good word with program directors for me, and he's also checking into the atmosphere (he said it used to be quite cutthroat in the MD program).

I'm quite glad to hear that they don't have a rolling admission process. I may take a year off (for other reasons) but put in an application to UofT in since it's not due until mid to late September and see what happens.

List is completely off

What are you even basing this on? Toronto has like a kajillion times more funding than McGill and a lot more research output, too. McGill medicine is great (doctors at the Children's saved my life), but Toronto is placed substantially higher in every ranking.

What are you even basing this on? Toronto has like a kajillion times more funding than McGill and a lot more research output, too. McGill medicine is great (doctors at the Children's saved my life), but Toronto is placed substantially higher in every ranking.

It's high on every list? It is consistently ranked lower than McGill in Canada's own guide. Furthermore, medical schools aren't only ranked based on research output which is largely tangential to educational training! These rankings are all subjective and McGill wins in terms of legacy...

It's high on every list? It is consistently ranked lower than McGill in Canada's own guide. Furthermore, medical schools aren't only ranked based on research output which is largely tangential to educational training! These rankings are all subjective and McGill wins in terms of legacy...

Canada does not have a guide. If you are looking at Macleans, the "MEDICAL DOCTORAL" ranking is actually a ranking of research universities overall and not medical schools. Its also a BS ranking.

Toronto does have more research funding though and many more teaching hospitals (It has 12 teaching hospitals) and research. Its a mega school.

Honestly, what has McGill done for legacy? It produced Osler, which is probably the only major thing of note. UofT has done a lot more, including invention of Insulin, first single and double lung transplants.

Last edited:
There are no "top" Canadian schools since they're all government mandated.

In all honesty, the "best" Canadian school, which is probably U of T (if only for the opportunities it provides and the city it is in, not for the education), is probably about as good as a mid-tier American state school.

I can say for sure that McGill is riding on a name and some misguided worship of the thoroughly-overrated sociopath Sir William Osler. Quebec is so dysfunctional with its policies, and this is reflected in its hospital system. Case in point: some Montreal hospitals were still using film and lightboxes as recently as 2007. Really. I don't know if they still are but that should give you an idea what to expect.

However, the Osler-worship that is so prevalent in the US is pretty good for McGill's coffers. They take more Americans than out-of-province Canadians, because the Americans will pay exorbitant Harvard-level tuition just to say they went to the same school as Ozlah.

In all honesty, the "best" Canadian school, which is probably U of T (if only for the opportunities it provides and the city it is in, not for the education), is probably about as good as a mid-tier American state school.

I can say for sure that McGill is riding on a name and some misguided worship of the thoroughly-overrated sociopath Sir William Osler. Quebec is so dysfunctional with its policies, and this is reflected in its hospital system. Case in point: some Montreal hospitals were still using film and lightboxes as recently as 2007. Really. I don't know if they still are but that should give you an idea what to expect.

However, the Osler-worship that is so prevalent in the US is pretty good for McGill's coffers. They take more Americans than out-of-province Canadians, because the Americans will pay exorbitant Harvard-level tuition just to say they went to the same school as Ozlah.

Woa, UofT is not just some state school it is a top state school. U Saskatchewan is just your average state school. UofT is the only medical school in Toronto, a city of 6 million, it has 12 teaching hospitals and a dozen more affiliated community hospitals, no medical school in the US can come to that. If I were to compare it to a US school it would probably be at the same level as Michigan.

McGill's MD program is not bad at all, people avoid it for residency for its hospital and Quebec's low resident salary but it is not a bad medical school. Its not as if you really need top notch hospitals as a medical student anyways.

I think they take an equal number of internationals as OP canadians.

Wat. UofT is placed very high on international rankings.

U of T is highly ranked but that's deceptive. It's THE ONLY medical school in Toronto -- a city of four million. Imagine if Chicago had one school? That one school would have a monopoly over all the major hospitals. Naturally, the schools by having so much selection will lead to a better reputation. However, the class size is massive at 260. It is split across two campuses. It's essentially two medical schools under one administration.

McGill on the other hand has to compete with UdM in the same city.

U of T is highly ranked but that's deceptive. It's THE ONLY medical school in Toronto -- a city of four million. Imagine if Chicago had one school? That one school would have a monopoly over all the major hospitals. Naturally, the schools by having so much selection will lead to a better reputation. However, the class size is massive at 260. It is split across two campuses. It's essentially two medical schools under one administration.

McGill on the other hand has to compete with UdM in the same city.

Either way, Toronto has a legitimately competitive admissions policies. It considers all Canadians equally regardless of where you are from. McGill on the other hand has its own pre-med 6 year program for Quebec residents, has nearly 90% of its spots for IP students.

This does make Toronto the best medical school in Canada, along with all the other factors like research, high number of hospitals and general prestige in the medical field.

A lack of geographic preference doesn't imply a better medical school. By that logic, Albany Medical College should outrank UCSF. U of T has the luxury of choosing applicants from anywhere because Ontario attracts applicants from everywhere. There's no need to retain doctors.

It's hard to argue against research productivity, but I'd argue against prestige. I have two degrees from U of T. Other Canadians really don't care, and Americans have only heard of McGill.

A lack of geographic preference doesn't imply a better medical school. By that logic, Albany Medical College should outrank UCSF. U of T has the luxury of choosing applicants from anywhere because Ontario attracts applicants from everywhere. There's no need to retain doctors.

It's hard to argue against research productivity, but I'd argue against prestige. I have two degrees from U of T. Other Canadians really don't care, and Americans have only heard of McGill.

I'm referring to the M.D. Degree from UofT not other degrees. As a general rule prestige isn't really important in undergrad because UofT isn't very selective when it comes to undergraduate or masters degrees. I think if you were to tell people you went to UofT Med people will be very impressed (mostly because you are in med school but UofT does add a tiny bit of extra prestige). Half my graduating class could go to UofT for undergrad so there isn't any sort of prestige for undergrad which is why Canadians don't really care.

Hah. No one cares, let alone is "impressed" by UofT MDs.

Hah. No one cares, let alone is "impressed" by UofT MDs.

Precisely. No one outside of Canada really knows about U of T. Within Canada, nobody cares where you attended medical school. This "prestige" is mostly promoted by U of T medical students.

You guys sound butt-hurt over not getting into UofT or something.

Nah, I truly don't care. I know people who went there and the program itself is nothing spectacular aside from the research. It is certainly a good program but it isn't leaps and bounds beyond other schools . Furthermore, NO ONE in Canada cares about school prestige. Going to U of T meds is no different than going to NOSM.

Actually I think I ranked a UofT program sixth on my CaRMS list. They made no effort to sell their program and it was a stark (and surprising) difference from everywhere else. Having said that, I'm strongly considering going there for fellowship.

You're far better off applying to US schools-no Canadian school will accept a GPA that low expect in the rare case you are from that province. Enjoy the advantage you have of applying to US schools because the Canadian system has far to few spots for the number of applications/number of doctors needed

I am a dual Canadian / US citizen. I'm an MD. I've never worked in Canada, but I did apply to schools in both countries (back in the stone age). Got rejected from McGill, got accepted to Columbia P&S. So, taking each item in turn:

1) It is definitely more difficult to get into a Canadian medical school. Even for a Canadian citizen.

2) Criteria for acceptance to Medical schools do not translate into clinical competence.

3) Good training and good clinical base is more likely to result into clinical competence.

4) Top medical schools are likely to attract candidates with more intellectual capital who are more likely to withstand a more intensive training regimen, yet maintain some intellectual breadth to continue to expand on this indoctrination (because most of medical training is in fact dogma).

5) Actual quality of a physician, it could be argued, has nothing to do with any of the above. Outcomes, number one, and patient perception, number two, are the only defensible measures of quality. Outcomes, in turn, are determined by surprisingly pedestrian factors. Such as, do you overcommit? Do you show up in the middle of the night, if your patient is crashing? Are you "on" all the time, or do you just coast through your shifts? Does your hubris make you do things and take risks you shouldn't? And, most important, do you have the emotional stability to consistently make good decisions, even when your wife's lawyer is calling you to sign the divorce papers? And reputation has nothing to do with clinical outcomes; some are very good at politics and self-promotion (part of which is placing oneself into a prominent position), yet are terrible clinicians. Academics are notorious for this duality.

However, the more immediate concern of an applicant is a) getting into med school and b) what that med school will do for the career. I have formal training in internal medicine, cardiology, orthopedic surgery and anesthesiology, so I have quite a bit of basis of comparison. I have also done very well financially (mostly from outside activities) and have seen a very high volume of patients through the years (about 140k outpatient encounters and 45k inpatient encounters, with over 14k admissions). I've worked in over 60 hospitals, carried licenses in 6 states and worked in several specialties. Based on these numbers, this is my take:

1) Being competent has nothing to do with the med school of origin, nor even the prestige of residencies one gets. The most incompetent folks can be found in places like Harvard, Stanford or Yale. But statistically you're less likely to encounter such folks, because most people get into such places after persevering on the basis of intelligence, rather than just persevering.

2) A medical school's reputation has everything to do with where you'll end up for your residency, but there are few medical schools that can place you outside of their region. This is where, say, Columbia will be different than Podunk U. McGill places graduates worldwide, whereas nobody ain't never heard of UofT or UBC outside of the neighborhood. Ergo, McGill wins. Hands down. No lo contendere.

3) Necessity is the mother of invention. If McGill has LESS resources, it will train BETTER physicians.

4) Med schools tend to produce tunnel-visioned drones who thrive on dogma. Any school that has to cope with language barriers, logistics and financials issues is a little more likely to breed more commonsense people who can cope with the real world, rather than regurgitate articles.

5) Your eventual choice of specialty is purely a function of whom you know. Barring disastrous grades (and even, in my case, with disastrous grades), you're more likely to get into a residency if you know the program director personally, then an AOA student who is just shopping around. You put in a couple of years of research, and a mediocre student can get a neurosurgery spot. Won't be Mass Gen, but it might be Baylor.

6) People work very hard for status, but nobody outside of medicine knows **** about the difference between rehab or neurosurgery. We're all MDs as far as they are concerned. A specialty that costs you eight years better pay you twice what a three year one does; by the time you're done with your residency in neurosurgery, the schmuck family practice resident has already paid off his/her loans and has put away a million. That's kind of hard to catch up with.

7) Some of the most status-y jobs pay crap; conversely, a lot of community docs in podunk towns make bank. Medicine is about making a living, and doing it by helping people. I posit you're less likely to do a good job and you're more likely to be ethically challenged if you see your first real paycheck at forty, versus thirty. You're more idealistic, you have more choices and you have more time when you're younger. So wasting your time trying to do something because it's "better" in the eyes of others will just end you up in trouble. You'll get frustrated and regret your decision.

8) The more diversity you experience, the easier it is to walk away from a ****ty job. Yes, a rolling stone gathers no moss, but it doesn't gather ****, either. Sticking around at all cost will force you to compromise your ethics and principles, which translates into bad patient outcomes. Your patient might not appreciate it, but I couldn't even begin to estimate the number of people ruined by the practice of medicine because they placed comfort ahead of ethics.

9) Diversity (training in many fields) and volume are the source of true knowledge. You might not be a rocket scientist, but if you can cut it's easier to place a central line than if you can't. You can stop bleeding. The patient you're coding is more likely to survive. But understanding what you're doing is also very important. But skill without cognition is likely to get you into trouble in the long run. Which means, your patient will suffer the consequences.

10) Conversely, no patient has ever been saved by an article. There is a reason why lab techs are not MDs and that's because no amount of knowledge guarantees that you can stand your ground when the **** hits the fan. by the time you finish your training you'll be able to manage a patient while asleep (this is no exaggeration; I am a nocturnist and have given many orders while effectively asleep, yet upon review they are absolutely appropriate and accurate).

This is where, ten years down the road, comes the equalizer. Program directors in the real world know that it makes no difference where you went to school, or how famous your residence is, if you pee your pants when there is a crisis. They want grunts who can do the work, not prima donnas. So any place you go to is ok, as long as you do a good job, you persevere, you keep your cool and THINK STRATEGICALLY. In other words, lay the groundwork for the next step, and then the next, and then the next - ahead of your peers.

At the same time, you'll find that in the end the path of least resistance is usually the best. Stop obsessing so much about where you ended up in the long term; if you're really determined, you'll end up where you want - or where you belong, if your wants are wildly unrealistic - anyway. And you won't torture yourself in the process trying to end up somewhere you shouldn't.

Good luck. I remember my time trying to make decisions as the worst of my life. I wasted far too much time thinking about these things; it ended up working out in its own way in the end. Different than my expectations, but in many ways far better.

Take care, all.

Reactions: 4 users
Great post h2oati but I would contend that schools like University of Toronto, McMaster and UBC are no worse than McGill at placing graduates in other residencies.

However, the more immediate concern of an applicant is a) getting into med school and b) what that med school will do for the career. I have formal training in internal medicine, cardiology, orthopedic surgery and anesthesiology, so I have quite a bit of basis of comparison. I have also done very well financially (mostly from outside activities) and have seen a very high volume of patients through the years (about 140k outpatient encounters and 45k inpatient encounters, with over 14k admissions). I've worked in over 60 hospitals, carried licenses in 6 states and worked in several specialties. Based on these numbers, this is my take:

I don't quite follow your career path here. Who counts their number of encounters? How have you worked in several specialties? As staff? I too have "formal training" in internal medicine, cardiology, and anesthesiology, but of course won't be practising in all three once I'm done residency.

9) Diversity (training in many fields) and volume are the source of true knowledge. You might not be a rocket scientist, but if you can cut it's easier to place a central line than if you can't. You can stop bleeding. The patient you're coding is more likely to survive. But understanding what you're doing is also very important. But skill without cognition is likely to get you into trouble in the long run. Which means, your patient will suffer the consequences.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

2) A medical school's reputation has everything to do with where you'll end up for your residency, but there are few medical schools that can place you outside of their region. This is where, say, Columbia will be different than Podunk U. McGill places graduates worldwide, whereas nobody ain't never heard of UofT or UBC outside of the neighborhood. Ergo, McGill wins. Hands down. No lo contendere.

3) Necessity is the mother of invention. If McGill has LESS resources, it will train BETTER physicians.

Take care, all.

I have to note that McGill's med school was put on probation recently. Just goes to show you that those rumors of an incompetent curriculum and administration were true. Hopefully its a big wakeup call for the school's admin.

To be frank OP, you're not going to make to any of the Canadian med schools... let alone top ones like UoT and McGill...Aim for US ones...

It's fun to rank things but no one cares where you went to medical school in Canada. Getting into any Canadian school that will take you is the challenge. Once you're admitted your career is dependant on personal attributes, achievements and networking.

The only thing to consider if you do win admission to multiple schools is where you'd like to settle long term. It is slightly easier in Canada to stay in one place through medical school and residency to a final long term appointment or practice due to local networking.

For objective evidence of this look at the CaRMS stats on Residency matches. There are no significant differences in matching to first choice discipline between any of the schools (and there are only 17 of them). There really aren't any second tier programs; there aren't enough schools to make a first and second tier.