Took my first OAT practice test today - NOT GOOD!!

Framecontrol

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

I did my first practice OAT today and I did terrible. I have the test on August 20th. about 1 month away.

Here are the scores I was able to calculate, but I don't know if I did it right because I am very confused how to get the correct scores.

Bio:290
Gen Chem:250
Orgo:330
RC:330
Physics:220
QR:230

I do not know how to get TS or AA... Can anyone help me? How do you guys calculate your scores?? Maybe I did it wrong?

(As you can see, my weakest areas are those that involve simple math skills - gen chem,physics,qr) Any Advice??

Well, I have to go study more... I feel like I am about to throw up dude...

-Matt

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,

I did my first practice OAT today and I did terrible. I have the test on August 20th. about 1 month away.

Here are the scores I was able to calculate, but I don't know if I did it right because I am very confused how to get the correct scores.

I do not know how to get TS or AA... Can anyone help me? How do you guys calculate your scores?? Maybe I did it wrong?

(As you can see, my weakest areas are those that involve simple math skills - gen chem,physics,qr) Any Advice??

-Matt

Was this practice test taken on a computer?

TO be honest with you, those scores are so bad in some of those sections that I almost wonder if you made some sort of error in entering the answers. Just by sheer random guessing you should get higher than 220 and 230.

SOmething doesn't make sense. If those are accurate scores, then I would consider postponing that test date.

Was this practice test taken on a computer?

TO be honest with you, those scores are so bad in some of those sections that I almost wonder if you made some sort of error in entering the answers. Just by sheer random guessing you should get higher than 220 and 230.

SOmething doesn't make sense. If those are accurate scores, then I would consider postponing that test date.

I took the test out of my Kaplan book, so no it wasn't done on the computer.

After using the correct scoring guide my results came out to be as I listed but with a TS of 270 and an AA of 280..

I am not postponing the test date because I know I will improve dramatically over the next few weeks. 350+ on all sections is my current goal.

I do know that the Kaplan tests are considered by many to be more difficult than the real thing......however....your scores should only drop by 20 points max (per section) if one were to take into consideration a greater level of difficulty.....

I agree with KHE in that perhaps you should post-pone your test date if you find that your score does not seem to increase in the next little while....but like you said....you do have plenty of time left to remedy the situation...so keep hitting those books.

Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,

-Matt

Okay first off how do you get a QR of 230 but an orgo of 330? QR only goes up to trig...so do a little reviewing and take a couple of practice tests because time will be tight but you should be able to easily bump this to atleast a 330-340. Physics thats just a matter of remembering the most useful equations...theres only like 5 or 4 really useful ones...oh and knowing how to use it...should have no problem bumping this up by a lot. Bio...just start going over more material (my first OAT practice I got a 290...in the real thing I got a 380). Seriously tho...those are not that bad...I would actually bet that you got frustrated and started guessing/not caring. Stay focused, dont change the test date, and do more practice tests.

Honestly Matt,

Just put that score out of your head. On my first practice Kaplan test I think I got a 260 AA or something ridiculous like that. I was freaking out more than I ever had in my life. I took the test in a Prometric Center and got a 360 TS/ 350 AA. HOWEVER, I really had to work to get the score I did. I took the Kaplan course, did all the lessons, and read that 1300 page Kaplan book cover to cover. I felt like I just needed a refresher course especially in sections such as Gen Chem and Orgo. Don't feel bad. No one can take the OAT without studying and do well. You absouletely have to review for it. There are so many formulas and specific details that you need to have embedded in your mind. You can do it but keep a good you need to have a good work ethic and keep a positive attitude! :thumbup:

ya honestly dont worry! the practice tests are so much harder...just keep studying and like abonk2 said have a good work ethic and you'll be fine...

you have good reason to throw up. you can put down As for the entire section and get like a 250 (due to probability). so go figure, it's actually very hard to get 220s and 230s. i wouldn't worry too much about the QR section, you can bring that score up easily. However, your physics and gen.chem need ALOT of work. if you have the right study habits and the right study materials it is possible to raise your score significantly within 2 months (unlike raising your GPA which takes forever). like others have suggested, postpone your test until you're scoring ~ 300 on each section (which generally really means you're going to get 330+ on the real thing). just an estimate, your TS and AA would be around 280 at this point. g'luck!

looks like you're doing fine with the RC which is what most people have trouble with and is the hardest section to improve on. so no worries!

for everything else (highly recommended! get it)
buy: http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-Compre...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216109160&sr=1-2

for the QR section (highly recommended. get it),
buy: http://www.amazon.com/ARCO-GMAT-Math-Review-Gmat/dp/0768918316

for chem and physics,
http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-1001-Questions-MCAT-Physics/dp/1893858189/ref=pd_sim_b_1
do it after you've reviewed your basics through ur textbook (not recommended unless you know what you need to know for the OAT) and other review books.

you can thank me after you kill the oat. :D

Hey everyone,

Thank you all so much for the motivating words and the advice! I am going to use it all.

I am studying really hard and I know I will get my scores up BIG TIME! I am taking my next practice OAT this sunday, so I will let you all know.

If I wasn't taking Physics II and working at an OPT practice this summer I would have SOOOO much more time, but I am, so it's tough.

Anyway, thank you all so much.

I will keep you posted!

jsut wanted to let you guys know that i got a 350 on the OAT.... go look at my first post...

NEVER GIVE UP, WORK HARD!!!!!!!

Hey mat, what did you end up doing to improve your oat score? I'm taking mine soon and have scored around the same as your practice! Yikes!